ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic ideas for picking up crowd for live stream audio feed  (Read 5130 times)

Eileen Krause

Re: Mic ideas for picking up crowd for live stream audio feed
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 10:25:25 AM »

Stephen — glad to see you had to McGyver your way around this too. 

and Tim, thank you for the hanging mic idea.

With the hanging mics-  those who have used..
How high above the congregants heads can the mics be hung and still be effective? 
Of course I can experiment with different heights but with logistics in the space moving ladder around etc etc is not as simple as I wish..  So having an idea of how far “up” is too far can give me starting place. 

We’re looking to “hear” the congregation reciting prayers and singing along with the choir (a “group feel”) and to provide that ambience feel for the live stream audio. 
This needn’t be as dialed in as the choir mics for example…

Appreciate the help… and real world experiences. 
 My “mic a room”experience is all old school analog recording studios..

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 10:56:17 AM »

How high above the congregants heads can the mics be hung and still be effective? 
Of course I can experiment with different heights but with logistics in the space moving ladder around etc etc is not as simple as I wish..  So having an idea of how far “up” is too far can give me starting place. 

We’re looking to “hear” the congregation reciting prayers and singing along with the choir (a “group feel”) and to provide that ambience feel for the live stream audio. 

A simple and effective solution, without a lot of cabling and sight issues for multiple mics, is to use a stereo condenser such as a Shure VP88 and hang it in the center of the room, halfway from the floor to the ceiling as a starting point.  While I have never hung one from the ceiling, I have used it many times mounted on a tall stand in the center of a room to pick up room ambience and audience for musicians' stereo IEM mixes.  I liked using its "H" output mode and pointing the address side of the mic away from the stage and PA.  Since you're in the round, you'd likely need to hang at least one on each opposite side of your stage for good coverage, but a single just might sound fine.

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/microphones/vp88
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 11:01:09 AM by Jason Glass »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 12:21:11 PM »

I'd think they can go pretty high. Mine are 10 or 12 feet up. THey are cardiod pattern so they higher they are, the more people are "in the pattern".

Remember since you aren't putting these in a PA you can run the gain pretty high to make it nice and audible in the stream mix.

I really think you are over thinking it. Go stick an SM81 on a tall stand somewhere in the room and listen to it on headphones. You'll get an idea of how it picks up literally everything. Now take that mind's eye picture and relate it to mics hanging from the chandeliers and realize, you're gonna be fine.......
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Eileen Krause

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2021, 05:19:07 PM »

Tim!!  Thank You so much for this encouragement..  and yes totally overthinking it…. I’m going in a better direction now and at the end of the day it’s gonna work out okay..   
and thank you for others who posted. Appreciate you.  Have a good week.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 06:08:58 AM »

The chandeliers might be a good place to hide mics.

Mac
Great idea but test first. If the lights are LEDs they might radiate noise into the mic wiring. Not likely but worth considering.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 06:08:58 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.