ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic ideas for picking up crowd for live stream audio feed  (Read 5272 times)

Eileen Krause

Mic ideas for picking up crowd for live stream audio feed
« on: October 21, 2021, 09:06:01 PM »

Hi Friends,
Once again I am reaching out to get some ideas from the group. I have been grateful for the help in the past!  Maybe I'm over thinking this- so I thought I would reach out and get opinions, suggestions.

My need is specifically for the live stream audio feed.  The pastors headsets and lectern mic are not an issue and the speech feed is good.  My problem is picking up the congregation when they all pray as a group and when they are singing hymns.
Logistically, I'm dealing with a small sanctuary space that is in the round.  And so getting mics facing in direction of crowd mouths and then not having mics be an aesthetic issue with our interior architecture its a hurdle.

Any suggestions on mics I could use and also -- given that I will be trying to hang/hide these mics on the beams off the sides--  should I use shotguns?  budget is $600 for 2 mics.  Someone suggested I use Rode NTG2's. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 11:15:12 AM by Eileen Krause »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Mic ideas for picking up crowd for live stream audio feed
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 10:45:02 PM »

Hi Friends,
Once again I am reaching out to get some ideas from the group. I have been grateful for the help in the past!  Maybe I'm over thinking this- so I thought I would reach out and get opinions, suggestions.

My need is specifically for the live stream audio feed.  The pastors headsets and lectern mic are not an issue and the speech feed is good.  My problem is picking up the congregation when they all pray as a group and when they are singing hymns.
Logistically, I'm dealing with a small sanctuary space that is in the round.  And so getting mics facing in direction of crowd mouths and then not having mics be an aesthetic issue with our interior architecture its a hurdle.

Any suggestions on mics I could use and also -- given that I will be trying to hang/hide these mics on the beams off the sides--  should I use shotguns?  budget is $600 for 2 mics.  Someone suggested I use Rode NTG2's.    Here's picture that can give you an idea.

Hanging choir mics work well, just aim them at the huge 'choir' (congregation).  You can play with location and mic angle to get the speakers in the null.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 07:37:53 AM »

In such a small space, shotguns would not be a good choice. As Caleb noted, hang a couple of choir mics.
Just remember to mix the ambient mics in as needed. Don't leave them up all the time.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 09:22:34 AM »

The speakers in the picture look like EV EVID 6.2, if so those need to be rotated 90 degress to vertical.

As for what ever room mics you use set up your mixer routing so those mics do not go to main PA mix.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 10:57:30 AM »

Hanging choir mics seem to always be available used on ebay for cheap.

We use a pair of Audio Technica Pro 45’s. Even brand new they are 100 bucks each. Used I have bought them as cheap as 25 bucks.

https://youtu.be/bUQKEwxvJKE

This is 2 hanging mics. Positioned about 20 feet in front of the main speakers pointing back at the audience. Our sanctuary holds about 600.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Eileen Krause

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 11:27:26 AM »

The speakers in the picture look like EV EVID 6.2, if so those need to be rotated 90 degress to vertical.

As for what ever room mics you use set up your mixer routing so those mics do not go to main PA mix.

Mike- thank  you for the input.  Yes- understood on the separate routing of crowd mix.   Does not go in the house- 

side note--
regarding speaker--(good eyes)  We have experimented with them angled in both ways- horiz and vert.  The room is 50 x40 with pews in the round surrounding altar in the middle.  We have 2 EVID's on each side and actually the horiz placement has given us good results without certain feedback issues- but I understand your point.  Congregation is happy with clarity and speech reinforcement so for now I'm leaving them.

As for hanging the mics- I'm still stuck with where to hang them - the pews in the round...
 I'm posting a different picture that shows the tie rods- that are above the congregation..  I'm not sure folks will want mics hanging down from them- But I will be checking that with the Building-Grounds committee...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 11:45:41 AM by Eileen Krause »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 01:12:21 PM »

As for hanging the mics- I'm still stuck with where to hang them - the pews in the round...
 I'm posting a different picture that shows the tie rods- that are above the congregation..  I'm not sure folks will want mics hanging down from them- But I will be checking that with the Building-Grounds committee...

The chandeliers might be a good place to hide mics.

Mac

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 01:31:17 PM »

What works for us (actually surprised me how well it works) is I place a Peavy SDC (I can't remember the specific model)  on a stand at the front of the auditorium pointed at the ceiling-our auditorium is wider than long, so I reasoned the "back" half of the ceiling would reflect the congregational singing, this also placed the mic out of the direct sound from the main speakers.  I run it only to the livestream, but run it pretty hot.  We leave it muted, turn it on on the first word of a song and off at the end-produces an somewhat annoying echo in the livestream if it is left on.

I tried hanging mics-but didn't get the results I wanted.  This was intended as a quick and dirty, "lets see what we get" so far I haven't found a way to improve.
Steve Swaffer

Eileen Krause

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 03:15:16 PM »

The chandeliers might be a good place to hide mics.

Mac

Wow.. Mac that IS a very interesting idea!!!  I'm going to be at the church later or tomorrow so I will look at that ..  thank YOU!!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 04:15:54 PM »

The AT Pro45's are very small. About the size of your pinky finger and maybe an inch and a half long. They come with a little wire hanger thingy that kicks them out at a 45 degree angle. They come in black and white. They also have a tiny cable attached to the mic which is supposed to be used to hang it with. The cable is about 25 feet long.

Pretty much all hanging choir mics have these features. They really disappear pretty easy.

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 04:15:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.