Church and H.O.W. Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Mic ideas for picking up crowd for live stream audio feed

(1/3) > >>

Eileen Krause:
Hi Friends,
Once again I am reaching out to get some ideas from the group. I have been grateful for the help in the past!  Maybe I'm over thinking this- so I thought I would reach out and get opinions, suggestions.

My need is specifically for the live stream audio feed.  The pastors headsets and lectern mic are not an issue and the speech feed is good.  My problem is picking up the congregation when they all pray as a group and when they are singing hymns.
Logistically, I'm dealing with a small sanctuary space that is in the round.  And so getting mics facing in direction of crowd mouths and then not having mics be an aesthetic issue with our interior architecture its a hurdle.

Any suggestions on mics I could use and also -- given that I will be trying to hang/hide these mics on the beams off the sides--  should I use shotguns?  budget is $600 for 2 mics.  Someone suggested I use Rode NTG2's. 

Caleb Dueck:

--- Quote from: Eileen Krause on October 21, 2021, 09:06:01 PM ---Hi Friends,
Once again I am reaching out to get some ideas from the group. I have been grateful for the help in the past!  Maybe I'm over thinking this- so I thought I would reach out and get opinions, suggestions.

My need is specifically for the live stream audio feed.  The pastors headsets and lectern mic are not an issue and the speech feed is good.  My problem is picking up the congregation when they all pray as a group and when they are singing hymns.
Logistically, I'm dealing with a small sanctuary space that is in the round.  And so getting mics facing in direction of crowd mouths and then not having mics be an aesthetic issue with our interior architecture its a hurdle.

Any suggestions on mics I could use and also -- given that I will be trying to hang/hide these mics on the beams off the sides--  should I use shotguns?  budget is $600 for 2 mics.  Someone suggested I use Rode NTG2's.    Here's picture that can give you an idea.

--- End quote ---

Hanging choir mics work well, just aim them at the huge 'choir' (congregation).  You can play with location and mic angle to get the speakers in the null.

Keith Broughton:
In such a small space, shotguns would not be a good choice. As Caleb noted, hang a couple of choir mics.
Just remember to mix the ambient mics in as needed. Don't leave them up all the time.

Mike Caldwell:
The speakers in the picture look like EV EVID 6.2, if so those need to be rotated 90 degress to vertical.

As for what ever room mics you use set up your mixer routing so those mics do not go to main PA mix.

Tim Weaver:
Hanging choir mics seem to always be available used on ebay for cheap.

We use a pair of Audio Technica Pro 45s. Even brand new they are 100 bucks each. Used I have bought them as cheap as 25 bucks.

https://youtu.be/bUQKEwxvJKE

This is 2 hanging mics. Positioned about 20 feet in front of the main speakers pointing back at the audience. Our sanctuary holds about 600.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version