ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: powered subs - old vs. new ?? how much real improvement?  (Read 2720 times)

Thomas Le

Re: powered subs - old vs. new ?? how much real improvement?
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 03:49:11 PM »

Sad story on those mackie SWA subs, I posted about the "higher end" mackie system a few months ago. When it was time for the gig, the amp module got the magic smoke. Seeing as they're long since discontinued, I'm gonna have to figure out how to convert them to passive versions...

Is the SRX818S too pro for your taste? It's lighter and more powerful.

Ed Taylor

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 03:53:22 PM »

All I can say is wow! You are really buff if you're still still moving those super awkward and insanely heavy particle board cabs around!  :D

I was stuck with those same cabs for years in a club's house system. Whenever they needed to be moved, I'd get the security guys :D Loved them in 2009 though...

I found the tops thin and hissy when pushed, making it difficult to get vocals out front with loud bands. I'll give it to the 1801 subs for kick though. They seem to be tuned to that, but little else - and wow do they limit fast.

But is it worth replacing if you only average a show a month? Only you can answer that.

LOL...handtruck is my friend.... actually, driving them with my old school Presonus Studiolive rigs, I've been more pleased with their sound than I expected..I've had a pair of 1530s going head to head with a DJ rig that used QSC K12 tops on stands.  I was there for the live band during the event and then a seperate DJ was there for his part. He had his rig painfully hot to make up for the fact that he didn't bring any subs.. those QSC12s were louder than my 1530s can actually go. But honestly at that point I didn't even want to be in the room with him, and neither did half the guests.  But to the point, seemed like a lot more throw from a more contemporary 'prosumer' (I like that term) QSC box and yeah, lot easier on the load-in.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 06:26:16 PM »

Old versus new?  Talking gear or labor?

As I get older the new gear is more appealing because it's lighter, louder, and sounds better than the back-breaking stuff we toted with barges 'back in the day.'  Even the wheel cannot make up for some of the particle board and rat fur monstrosities of yesteryear.

Even without the rat fur, there's nothing graceful about moving, lifting or shifting a KF-850 so it happens on the pro side of the gear aisle, too.  And since there are still a dozen in our shop... the SRX-835p we have seem like mere trifles.  The KF-850s and accompanying amp rack will easily outperform the SRXs by 6+dB or more, but that comes with a +6dB more weight and inconvenience.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Bolt

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 10:17:11 PM »

Well .... for me, it would be worth changing out the rig tops and all to get the size and weight down.  Of course, if you are in this for the money, then you can't beat "paid for" at any price.

As for sound quality, I think that any newer QSC KW, Yamaha DZR/DXS, or JBL SRX system would be a noticeable step up in output and sound quality while being smaller and lighter.

I really never cared for the Mackie powered speakers you have just for full disclosure.  To this day, I equate that bright blue LED with ear piercing and confused sound out front with a distinct lack of a well defined bottom end.

This is just one mans opinion of course.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2021, 01:02:27 AM »

A DXR12 on a tripod will get louder and sound better than your current tops. You aren't supposed to do 2 a side though.

Any of the current gen 118 powered subs will be a significant improvement in response and volume over your subs.

All of this will weigh 1/2 to 1/3 of what your current mackie rig weighs.

But if I were spending my money in your situation I'd probably go for the JBL SRX835P over the SRX828SP. This gives you roughly the same form-factor of the PA you have now, and it is roughly in the same "class" but the SRX stuff will stomp the ever living daylights out of the mackie rig and sound really quite good while doing it. Also it will weigh less. The tops are easily manageable by one beefy guy or two regular folks. Unlike the outrageously heavy and awkward 1530's.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Heath Eldridge

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2021, 10:41:56 PM »

like others have said - the modern gear is better.

I wouldn’t go the QSC - I’d focus more on the more modern stuff. Personally I use RCF which is great but also things like yamaha dsr and JBL SRX (even the modern mackies) will be better.

Here’s the question: you say what you have now, already does your indoor gigs, and you want to do outdoor festival level stuff. I’m not sure that more modern gear in the same class will make that step up. It really depends what you mean… a family event with a kids entertainer or metal bands…

Rick Powell

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 11:57:55 PM »

Here’s the question: you say what you have now, already does your indoor gigs, and you want to do outdoor festival level stuff. I’m not sure that more modern gear in the same class will make that step up. It really depends what you mean… a family event with a kids entertainer or metal bands…

With Tim's suggestion of SRX 835p over SRX 828sp's, the 835s are somewhat arrayable. You could double up that system now or later and be good for a nice outdoor gig for several hundred people for most any music format. A single stack each side would be adequate for some outdoor events and not enough for others, depending on SPL and coverage expectations.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 11:57:55 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.