ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrading the SRX812P to what?  (Read 8943 times)

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
upgrading the SRX812P to what?
« on: October 17, 2021, 06:29:32 PM »

Over the winter I would like to replace/upgrade my SRX812P with something a little more powerful and something that has a little "cleaner" sound.  Over the summers I get spoiled and get to mix on RCF TTL6A, d&b V7P & V8 arrays and I love how easy they are to work with; some channel EQ'ing and a couple PA cuts and I'm extremely happy.  And then I go back to my SRX812P and I feel like I'm fighting the EQ to get the "finesse/clean" sound.

I am going to have a nice little Budget of $6500 for a pair (there are plenty of dealers on there to help me get it below retail price).  I'm staying with Powered speakers; everything of mine is powered and I don't want to carry an amp rack.  Hopefully I can find something under 100lbs because they'll be stacked on SRX828SP.  I'm not opposed to start building a small Line Array and stick 1-2x boxes on poles.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Travis_Valois

Re: upgrading the SRX812P to what?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 06:32:52 PM »

Over the winter I would like to replace/upgrade my SRX812P with something a little more powerful and something that has a little "cleaner" sound.  Over the summers I get spoiled and get to mix on RCF TTL6A, d&b V7P & V8 arrays and I love how easy they are to work with; some channel EQ'ing and a couple PA cuts and I'm extremely happy.  And then I go back to my SRX812P and I feel like I'm fighting the EQ to get the "finesse/clean" sound.

I am going to have a nice little Budget of $6500 for a pair (there are plenty of dealers on there to help me get it below retail price).  I'm staying with Powered speakers; everything of mine is powered and I don't want to carry an amp rack.  Hopefully I can find something under 100lbs because they'll be stacked on SRX828SP.  I'm not opposed to start building a small Line Array and stick 1-2x boxes on poles.
SRX835P?

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
upgrading the SRX812P to what?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 07:18:37 PM »

Fulcrum used to have self powered versions of their stuff as standard offerings.  While they are not standard, they can still be special ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 08:56:16 PM by David Sturzenbecher »
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 07:39:02 PM »

Line arrays would be a step back. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

MattLeonard

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 08:50:51 PM »

I just sold my SRX rig (812p over 818). To me - the "upgrade" was both about size/weight/footprint/ease of use, as well as volume, clarity, and coverage.

I wanted to keep things easily deployable with a single person - and went with (4) of the db tech ig4t's - they sound great, and incredibly light and easy to deploy, have good wide coverage outdoors (110), and get loud - though you definitely want subs under them for most anything beyond vocals. (I do a lot of press conferences, so the work great solo for this) And, I can use them as 2 separate rigs, or combine 2 per side (they stack vertically) for even more output.

I also picked up a pair of Yamaha DZR10 (And DXS15XLF subs) - which is more a sideways step on the SRX - but they are smaller/lighter (which is a big plus for me), and didn't have the annoying rattle that the 812's are infamous for. They can do everything my SRX rig could - but also can play monitor duty when I'm using the ig4t's as mains.

-Matt

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 09:48:21 PM »

Fulcrum used to have self powered versions of their stuff as standard offerings.  While they are not standard, they can still be special ordered.

Great speakers, but I think a pair would be well above his budget. 

What about making self-powered PM60 speakers? 

Seems like most of the top end of the SoS options are not self powered. 

Also agree that a dash array of small line array boxes would be a step backward. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Sean Anderson

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 10:36:01 PM »

I've been using a pair of passive JTR noesis 212xt for the last few months and they would be a definite improvement over what you have in clarity and cohesion. They are also only 61 lbs, although they are tall.

You can get a pair powered for 6000, new.

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 11:45:47 PM »

db tech Ingenia IG3T...  just ordered a set from Mike Pyle.  I would suggest researching that box, your budget isn't too far off 2 per side and theses are made to array vertically...

Yeasterday I fired up a Yamaha DZR-315 on top of 2 QSC KW-181's   That was pretty cool.  The DZR's punch hard.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

John Schalk

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 11:45:37 AM »

DB Tech, Fulcrum Acoustics, and RCF publish GLL files for most of their products.  I also found GLLs for the Yamaha DSR range, but I did not see them for the DZR series.  GLL files work with the free version of EASE, which is called EASE Focus 3.  It's pretty easy to use and there are some good YouTube videos on it out there to help you.  With EASE Focus, you can create some floor plans for your most common venues or outdoor spaces and then import the speaker files for let's say the IG3T and see how they would perform for SPL and coverage.  The cool thing about the GLLs for the Ingenia range is that they include the info for when you have two stacked vertically with the horns together so you can easily see what the output of two versus 4 looks like.  Note that Ease Focus models the direct sound only.

Fulcrum's TQ Install range includes a good selection of single and dual 12" & 15" speakers.  They come with handles and pole cups, but use heavier non-Neo drivers.  Of course they aren't powered, but you could probably get into a pair of DX1265's or 95s and a T604 for maybe a wee bit more than your budget.  One T604 is hardly an amp rack!

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 12:11:57 PM »

Fulcrum's TQ Install range includes a good selection of single and dual 12" & 15" speakers.  They come with handles and pole cups, but use heavier non-Neo drivers.  Of course they aren't powered, but you could probably get into a pair of DX1265's or 95s and a T604 for maybe a wee bit more than your budget.  One T604 is hardly an amp rack!

Pretty sure the GX line is the only subseries that uses ceramic drivers. CX, CCX, and DX all use neo if I recall. Perhaps I can summon Rich for clarification on this as well as to their powered product offering.

Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 12:11:57 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.