ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrading the SRX812P to what?  (Read 8981 times)

Rick Powell

Re: upgrading the SRX812P to what?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2021, 11:44:04 PM »

What about making self-powered PM60 speakers? 

There are several PM60s and PM90s out in the wild now, but I haven't yet heard of anyone powering them with an internal module. I have toyed with the idea of making a pair and using these modules.

http://www.marani-proaudio.com/dettprodotti-PDAXPRO3/95_77/eng/

The PM's performance is well-documented and would be very competitive with anything being discussed here (they are capable of 140dB and sound great when properly processed), and could be rendered within budget. I am well aware of all the arguments against DIYing, so there is that.

Mal Brown

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2021, 11:27:01 AM »

that is a pretty cool looking amp!

Fitting it into a spec built PMx would be an interesting challenge.  I haven't visited that thread in a while but I recall there being no extra room in that box.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2021, 06:47:52 PM »

The L' Acoustics X15HiQ is active.

Looking at the manual, it says Connectors:
IN: 1 × 4-point speakON
LINK: 1 × 4-point speakON

Thats a passive speaker that requires an external amplifier, which I don't want to carry.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2021, 06:49:31 PM »

Matt, other than the fact they are a discontinued box, what would hold you back from re-acquiring a pair in great condition?

Availability... these don't come up often on the market.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2021, 02:28:07 PM »

Looking at the manual, it says Connectors:
IN: 1 × 4-point speakON
LINK: 1 × 4-point speakON

Thats a passive speaker that requires an external amplifier, which I don't want to carry.

LA makes a 112P that active. Haven't heard it but I'm sure it's nice. Anything bigger requires their amplifier.

https://www.l-acoustics.com/products/112p/
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2021, 03:57:48 PM »

I’m curious as to why going from a 2 way 12” box to a 3 way 15” box ISNT a step up?

It depends what boxes are in question. With a speaker line that uses a 1" exit CDs like the Yamahas or QSCs the 3-way box will have a much lower crossover on the woofer where the mid/high combo takes over, that fundamentally changes the sonic character of the box and in the case of the QSCs makes much better use of the amplifier driving the mid/hi section and increases usable SPL output. A line like the SRX uses a 1.5" exit CD(3" diaphram) which is much more capable at midrange frequencies, so the sonic difference between it and the 3-way box isn't as great.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 04:22:29 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2021, 05:44:56 PM »

I’m curious as to why going from a 2 way 12” box to a 3 way 15” box ISNT a step up? This is not meant to be a snarky comment, I’m just wanting to understand, educate myself more of the reasoning why it wouldn’t be a step up?

Thanks.

I would say in the words of Ivan - it depends.....
For me - I use subs with tops pretty much every show so utilizing the more efficient low end of a 15" driver means little to me. Also, most of the 3 way boxes have a narrower horn disbursement than their 12" counterparts which doesn't suit me either. Add that to the fact I find vocals tend to shine little more through 12" than 15' drivers. Then there is the extra weight and size....So personally I don't see a 3 way box (in the same series) as a step up if the only possible benefit is an extra couple of db.

I owned the SRX812 and SRX815 but never wanted to move to the 3 ways in the same series...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2021, 07:28:20 PM »

I would say in the words of Ivan - it depends.....
For me - I use subs with tops pretty much every show so utilizing the more efficient low end of a 15" driver means little to me. Also, most of the 3 way boxes have a narrower horn disbursement than their 12" counterparts which doesn't suit me either. Add that to the fact I find vocals tend to shine little more through 12" than 15' drivers. Then there is the extra weight and size....So personally I don't see a 3 way box (in the same series) as a step up if the only possible benefit is an extra couple of db.

I owned the SRX812 and SRX815 but never wanted to move to the 3 ways in the same series...

For club size work I use subs and 12" tops and have for the past 40 years.  I started out with JBL 4560 15" 2-way system and evolved that into a 4-way setup, then it evolved into a 4-way setup with 12" low mids.  Never looked back.  With subs, for my setups using 12's is just a more cost effective solution - boxes are smaller as well, easier to handle, and fit into the truck better.  The only place I use 15's is in side fill monitors, which double as drum monitors and I have 2 15" smaller volume slant monitors.  9 x 12" slant monitors.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2021, 09:48:49 PM »

Note that GLL files must be specifically licensed by the manufacturer for use in EASE Focus 3. Many companies choose to license only their line array offerings, as adding a whole slew of "point source" boxes adds up $$ very quickly. Speaking for Fulcrum specifically, all our products are licensed for Focus.

This page is an overview of what manufacturers support Focus to at least some extent.  It may be two boxes, it may be 75.

https://www.afmg.eu/en/overview-supported-brands-ease-ease-evac-ease-address-ease-focus-3

Hi Rich and sorry to speak of a competitor but just as a comparison, FBT's GLL files for their 2nd from the top line array offering are borderline useless.  It's as if the data is very low resolution.  When people ask what goes into higher quality products many people answer, accountability and people that answer the phone.  We have installed a few Fulcrum boxes over the years and they were wonderful but the documentation was amazing and everything worked as advertised.  You run a good ship.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2021, 09:53:08 PM »

Stepping up from a 2 way 12" box to a 3 way 15" box IS a step up in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

I know it's passive but the SRX-722 dual 12" is light and powerful.  Probably the best of the entire series.  With an iTech HD they sound beyond amazing.  They sound pretty damn good with an XTI 6000 too.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2021, 09:53:08 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.