ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrading the SRX812P to what?  (Read 8973 times)

Mal Brown

Re: upgrading the SRX812P to what?
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2021, 11:00:20 AM »

Once you get your IG3T's can you compare them against the DZR315?

weather permitting I will certainly.

When I first upgraded my medium rig from K12's to KW-153's it was a huge step up.  So even though these are I guess termed MI as opposed to pro or whatever.  The move from 2 way to 3 way was significant in that example.  After running the DSR-112 on top of DZR-315, I would say the same is true there as well in terms of shear volume and the ability to go without a sub.  i should clarify that I was using the DZR as a peaked pole.  It was there.  About the right height so I stacked the DSR on top and disconnected the DZR.... So the test was DZR-315 over KW-181 vs DSR-112 over Kw-181.   

The DZR has a low end heft that the KW-153 lacked.  So far the downside for the 315 is that it is a handful for a single 66 yr old guy.  I was able to get it up on a single sub but onto a stack of two would probably require a subsequent chiropractic trip...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 01:26:35 AM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Sean Anderson

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2021, 10:59:21 PM »

I'm going to chime in here. I had the pleasure of hearing ig3t's as sidefills with RCF TT5'S as the mains. They were all over Danley subs. In my opinion, the ig3t's sounded good and were nice speakers from a feature standpoint, but were nowhere near as good sounding as the TT's out front. They are good speakers, but not what you are asking for.

If you want to recapture the ease of mix you get with TT and D&B level speakers, the ig3t's are not the answer. As others have said, Danley, RCF TT, etc are where you want to be. I still urge you to consider JTR as well, they do stack up to the Danley/TT level offerings.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2021, 11:27:52 PM »

The L' Acoustics X15HiQ is active.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2021, 12:51:37 PM »

Going from an MI JBL box to another MI JBL box of the same series - isn't much of a step up.  Or going from MI of any brand to another MI from another brand.

Fulcrum, Danley, TW Audio, d&b, etc - would be a step up.

I’m curious as to why going from a 2 way 12” box to a 3 way 15” box ISNT a step up? This is not meant to be a snarky comment, I’m just wanting to understand, educate myself more of the reasoning why it wouldn’t be a step up?

Thanks.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2021, 01:14:20 PM »

Over the winter I would like to replace/upgrade my SRX812P with something a little more powerful and something that has a little "cleaner" sound.  Over the summers I get spoiled and get to mix on RCF TTL6A, d&b V7P & V8 arrays and I love how easy they are to work with; some channel EQ'ing and a couple PA cuts and I'm extremely happy.  And then I go back to my SRX812P and I feel like I'm fighting the EQ to get the "finesse/clean" sound.

I am going to have a nice little Budget of $6500 for a pair (there are plenty of dealers on there to help me get it below retail price).  I'm staying with Powered speakers; everything of mine is powered and I don't want to carry an amp rack.  Hopefully I can find something under 100lbs because they'll be stacked on SRX828SP.  I'm not opposed to start building a small Line Array and stick 1-2x boxes on poles.

If you liked the TTL6, the TTW4 would be a contender in your specified budget. Certainly checks all the boxes you've mentioned.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2021, 06:13:23 PM »

I’m curious as to why going from a 2 way 12” box to a 3 way 15” box ISNT a step up? This is not meant to be a snarky comment, I’m just wanting to understand, educate myself more of the reasoning why it wouldn’t be a step up?

Thanks.

"... isn't much of a step up..."

And I sort of agree.  The SRX835p sounds good, is reasonably light weight, and I prefer the horn loaded midrange over most all 2 way boxes (the exceptions cost a lot more than the 835), but it's not a quantum leap over the 812, either, if you've been using the 812 with subs.  The 835p is a good stand-alone box and with an 828 under it, is impressive for an MI-line product.  In fact there aren't too many others that directly compare, maybe the new-ish Yammy 3 way?  At any rate, getting another 6dB of continuous output, or better pattern control, or cachet that allows you to raise prices... it's more of a lateral move than an upgrade.

That said, if you bought a pair of 835p and didn't like them I'm pretty sure you could sell them for the price you paid.

I wish I had taken pictures the last 2 weekends - municipal amphitheater where we typically hang 7 VerTec 4889 per side for a "real" concert.  Use a pair of 835/828 per side.  Not a rock show at all, but overkill for the kid show/family day and perfect for the local 80's act and vocal-based national country act.  For transport we flip the subs grille to grille (casters on the backs), and lay the 835 on a dolly board, on its back, stack another on top, grille to grille.  Apply straps.  Four of each model fit across the width of our 15' cube van (put 'em in long way, like books).  Just over 4 feet of truck space.  Lots of room for lights and stuff that makes money ;).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2021, 06:17:58 PM »

Thanks.

It all depends on what your measurement criteria is.  Very broadly speaking, cabinets in the same line should have similar sonic signatures.  Larger cabinets may have more capability, but still suffer from similar sonic weaknesses of the smaller cabinet in the line.  Now, if you're looking at different output or different pattern control, then yeah, it could be enough of a step up to justify the change.  if you're looking for a different sonic signature completely, it may not be a step up by just switching the cabinet model of the same line.
Brian Jojade

MattLeonard

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2021, 07:28:11 PM »

I'm going to chime in here. I had the pleasure of hearing ig3t's as sidefills with RCF TT5'S as the mains. They were all over Danley subs. In my opinion, the ig3t's sounded good and were nice speakers from a feature standpoint, but were nowhere near as good sounding as the TT's out front. They are good speakers, but not what you are asking for.

But the RCF boxes are what $6k each? The ig3t's are less than a third of that - closer to $1700. We're talking an entirely different class of speaker, and about double the OP's budget.

I do think that (4) of the ig3t's are a great rig that is close to OP's budget (a little more with hardware) - gives scalability, 2 discrete smaller rigs/redundancy if a box goes down, and the boxes are about 1/2 the weight of the RCF - a lot easier to transport and setup for 1-person gigs.

-Matt

Sean Anderson

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2021, 10:06:06 PM »

Correct, but tt22 or tt4 could fit the budget. My point and some other's point is that the ig3t won't be what Matt is looking for despite being nice speakers in their class. As well, 4 ig3t won't sound better than 2.

Rick Powell

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2021, 11:26:52 PM »

Such sad news!  I do miss my old FA22ac and kick myself for selling them when I "retired".

Matt, other than the fact they are a discontinued box, what would hold you back from re-acquiring a pair in great condition?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2021, 11:26:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.