ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: funky 14-50 outlet  (Read 4197 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: funky 14-50 outlet
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 12:33:49 PM »

Connecting the neutral correctly fixed everything immediately.

Amazing how that works.

Actually, since this is by code a "separately derived system" the ground and the neutral should be bonded at this point-either in the transformer or in the disconnecting means/panel after the transformer.  If that is done correctly, voltages will read correctly.  If not, neutral to phase and phase to phase will read correctly, but voltages from ground to neutral or either "phase" will float and you will not have a proper path to trip breakers in the event of a fault.  I'm sure there are plenty of master electricians out there that have never connected a transformer like this-depending on the type of jobs and area its not a very common task-I think I've done 3 in 20 years.  But they all should know enough to meter their work to verify before walking away.
Steve Swaffer

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 03:55:26 PM »

Amazing how that works.

Actually, since this is by code a "separately derived system" the ground and the neutral should be bonded at this point-either in the transformer or in the disconnecting means/panel after the transformer.  If that is done correctly, voltages will read correctly.  If not, neutral to phase and phase to phase will read correctly, but voltages from ground to neutral or either "phase" will float and you will not have a proper path to trip breakers in the event of a fault.  I'm sure there are plenty of master electricians out there that have never connected a transformer like this-depending on the type of jobs and area its not a very common task-I think I've done 3 in 20 years.  But they all should know enough to meter their work to verify before walking away.

"Measure with a load connected".  Do the math to make sure the measured current is also the calculated current; explain the difference, if any. ;)

Got a phone call several years ago from a buddy who was having rising voltage between ground and neutral over distance (most of you already know what's up) so I had him take several voltage and current measurements over about 20 minutes (4 phone calls).  In the end we determined that the hired generator was not attached to an earth ground, nor was the generator generator neutral bonded to equipment grounding connector. In "prairie ghetto" fashion a set of jumper cables was used to test the hypothesis, and The Electrician (Or Someone Like Him)* was summoned to install proper jumpers.

* Fire Sign Theater references for the Illumi-sceti. Shoes for Industry!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 04:32:15 PM »

* Fire Sign Theater references for the Illumi-sceti. Shoes for Industry!

Regnad Kcin.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 06:56:48 PM »

In the end we determined that the hired generator was not attached to an earth ground, nor was the generator generator neutral bonded to equipment grounding connector.

Sounds like over 50% of the generators I would have to use out here in West Texas oil country up until about 20 years ago. I ended up carrying a 'generator power source' kit with ground rods, short pieces of 2/0, and multiple split bolt connectors so I could just go ahead and make the gennie useful for something other than 3-phase pumping unit motors.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 06:56:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.818 seconds with 21 queries.