Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

funky 14-50 outlet

(1/3) > >>

Matt Vivlamore:
I plugged my distro into a 14-50 outlet and then went to meter it and got some weird readings.  With my Distro breakers ON, I was getting 219-221v on the Edison outlets and the circuit tester was reading as 'Correct Wiring' and with my Distro breakers OFF, I was getting 49-51v and the circuit tester was still reading 'Correct Wiring'.

When I called for building maintenance, he came out and told me that the property isn't wired for 220v power and looked at my meter and walked away.  Dummy me didn't meter the actual 14-50 outlet.

Whats your thoughts on this?  What is happening?

Distro is from EMG, 50' Cali extension is from LEX and I built (used before) the 14-50 to CS6364 adapter.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Matt Vivlamore on October 17, 2021, 05:37:19 PM ---I plugged my distro into a 14-50 outlet and then went to meter it and got some weird readings.  With my Distro breakers ON, I was getting 219-221v on the Edison outlets and the circuit tester was reading as 'Correct Wiring' and with my Distro breakers OFF, I was getting 49-51v and the circuit tester was still reading 'Correct Wiring'.

When I called for building maintenance, he came out and told me that the property isn't wired for 220v power and looked at my meter and walked away.  Dummy me didn't meter the actual 14-50 outlet.

Whats your thoughts on this?  What is happening?

Distro is from EMG, 50' Cali extension is from LEX and I built (used before) the 14-50 to CS6364 adapter.

--- End quote ---

A couple of immediate thoughts are a mis-wired 14-50 and/or failed neutral connection.

Nathan Riddle:

--- Quote from: Matt Vivlamore on October 17, 2021, 05:37:19 PM ---he came out and told me that the property isn't wired for 220v power and looked at my meter and walked away.

--- End quote ---

What does that even mean?

What planet is he from?

I know of no electrical system that isn't...

Geoff Doane:

--- Quote from: Matt Vivlamore on October 17, 2021, 05:37:19 PM ---I plugged my distro into a 14-50 outlet and then went to meter it and got some weird readings.  With my Distro breakers ON, I was getting 219-221v on the Edison outlets and the circuit tester was reading as 'Correct Wiring' and with my Distro breakers OFF, I was getting 49-51v and the circuit tester was still reading 'Correct Wiring'.

--- End quote ---

Perhaps they've wired the outlet for 3 phase (no neutral) instead of 2 hots, neutral and ground.  Although that doesn't explain why the circuit tester said "Correct".

GTD

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Geoff Doane on October 17, 2021, 08:14:37 PM ---Perhaps they've wired the outlet for 3 phase (no neutral) instead of 2 hots, neutral and ground.  Although that doesn't explain why the circuit tester said "Correct".

GTD

--- End quote ---

I thought about that, too, but the voltages are either too high for 208V service and too low for 120/240V service.  One of the reasons my gut says there are a couple things going on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version