ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hazer set off nightclub fire alarm  (Read 2720 times)

Douglas Cyr

Hazer set off nightclub fire alarm
« on: October 16, 2021, 09:12:45 PM »

Hello,

I was surprised that a water based hazer set off a nightclubs fire alarm. Are there are any tips or tricks to mitigate this?

I've heard of taping over the sensors on the alarms but this is definitely illegal.

Thanks,
Doug

Rick Powell

Re: Hazer set off nightclub fire alarm
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 10:33:17 PM »

At the one place we play where they have a sprinkler system, we open the windows for better ventilation (even when the AC is on) and try to use the lowest effective setting.

We’ve never set it off.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 10:34:52 PM »

The type of sensors will determine if the hazer will trip them or not, and at what density. There really isn’t much that can be done if the venue has sensors that a haze machine sets off. There is no magical haze machine that solves the problem. The mere thought of physically disabling the sensors should get one banned from the industry permanently.
Brian Jojade

Travis_Valois

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 10:43:16 PM »

The mere thought of physically disabling the sensors should get one banned from the industry permanently.

100%

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 10:44:21 PM »

I was doing some consulting with church that would have visiting musical groups come in. They told them that they couldn’t use haze because it would set off the smoke detectors. But some of them tried it and they would get away with it for a little while and then the detectors would go off and it was tied into the alarm system and would call out the fire department.

The church wanted to be able to use haze even for there own use so they had the alarm company changed out the detectors to ones that aren’t affected by haze. I think they are called heat rise detectors.

So we got a radiance hazer and ran a test. This room can seat about 2000. They set the alarm system into bypass or test mode and we hazed the room. Actually it would probably be more accurately put to say we seriously over hazed the room. I got it to the point where you could barely see someone 10feet away during the test. We really got carried away. We ran it for at least an hour if not two and it didn’t set anything off until after about two hours it worked its way to a back hallway that had a forgotten smoke detector in it. 

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 11:17:18 PM »

Airborne particulate sensors are the ones that can be set off by haze.

Old school smoke detectors don't care.

Of course the Particulate sensors are much better at doing their job than the old style and they get used more often today.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 11:35:59 PM »

I was doing some consulting with church that would have visiting musical groups come in. They told them that they couldn’t use haze because it would set off the smoke detectors. But some of them tried it and they would get away with it for a little while and then the detectors would go off and it was tied into the alarm system and would call out the fire department.

The church wanted to be able to use haze even for there own use so they had the alarm company changed out the detectors to ones that aren’t affected by haze. I think they are called heat rise detectors.

So we got a radiance hazer and ran a test. This room can seat about 2000. They set the alarm system into bypass or test mode and we hazed the room. Actually it would probably be more accurately put to say we seriously over hazed the room. I got it to the point where you could barely see someone 10feet away during the test. We really got carried away. We ran it for at least an hour if not two and it didn’t set anything off until after about two hours it worked its way to a back hallway that had a forgotten smoke detector in it.

We renovated an old building into a church music ministry back in 2016, after asking around here, I asked the alarm company about the issue. They installed what they called 'multi-criteria' sensors (I don't know if that was just their term or an industry term). They are supposed to analyze: Particulate, actual temp, heat rise, and Co2, and come to a conclusion. Like you mentioned, we can seriously over-haze the room with no problems.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 11:50:21 PM »

Hello,

I was surprised that a water based hazer set off a nightclubs fire alarm. Are there are any tips or tricks to mitigate this?

I've heard of taping over the sensors on the alarms but this is definitely illegal.

Thanks,
Doug

What has been done on every show I’ve been on where haze is an issue (probably more than 100) is a fire watch. You pay a fireman to be on site when ever you need to run haze, and they disable the alarm while they are there. You do not attempt to run haze if the fire watch is not there yet.

Mac

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 12:16:05 AM »

What has been done on every show I’ve been on where haze is an issue (probably more than 100) is a fire watch. You pay a fireman to be on site when ever you need to run haze, and they disable the alarm while they are there. You do not attempt to run haze if the fire watch is not there yet.

Mac
^This

Just pay a fireman to be there and have them disable the sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 01:54:00 AM »

Only 100 Mac?!

But yes, this is the correct answer for any situation involving fog/haze/pyro where it is expected to cause a problem with the venue's alarm system.  Cost and complexity varies, but from both public safety as well as personal liability this is what you do.  Good luck!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 01:54:00 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.