Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Hazer set off nightclub fire alarm

<< < (4/4)

Alec Spence:

--- Quote from: Paul Johnson on October 17, 2021, 03:40:30 PM ---Just before covid hit I was on a Ferry for 8 hours - Belfast to Liverpool, and they were being refitted at sea - big sections shut off behind plastic sheets while they painted and did things - and all the sensors in this section of the ship - that had plenty of passengers, were isolated by rubber gloves stretched over the sensor main face. I don't mind admitting being on a ship, in the middle of the Irish Sea with non-working fire systems made me wonder .........

--- End quote ---
You know that your responsibility on that ship was to notify and escalate it among the ship's crew at the time.  And then to report it as soon as you could afterwards.

Yes, you'd have been a pain in the ass, but for all the right reasons.  It's pains in the ass who end up saving lives...

Bill Hornibrook:

--- Quote from: Douglas Cyr on October 16, 2021, 09:12:45 PM ---I was surprised that a water based hazer set off a nightclubs fire alarm. Are there are any tips or tricks to mitigate this?

--- End quote ---

This is strictly at the lounge level, but I've had good results using low wattage foggers (500-700 watts) always on with extremely diluted fog juice - like one cup of Swamp Juice per gallon of distilled water. You don't see anything coming out of the machine, but eventually the stage takes on just enough haze to make the lights stand out. I've done this in well over a dozen venues, and haven't set anything off yet.

Stephen Swaffer:

--- Quote from: Kevin Maxwell on October 16, 2021, 10:44:21 PM ---I was doing some consulting with church that would have visiting musical groups come in. They told them that they couldn’t use haze because it would set off the smoke detectors. But some of them tried it and they would get away with it for a little while and then the detectors would go off and it was tied into the alarm system and would call out the fire department.

--- End quote ---

What concerns me about this issue is people being lulled into thinking the alarm system is crying wolf.  A few years ago we had an issue with setting off rate of rise sensors in a production area.  One day the fire alarm was triggered, the employee who took the alarm company's called waved them off-without knowing what was happening.  We still had employees loitering in a building with the alarms sounding and my boss at the time first concern was turning off the alarm.  My concern was finding the source of the alarm-which, while there was no fire, had been triggered by an HVAC contractor leaving a unit running at high fire when he left the building-so a legitimate alarm.  Not catching it could have caused a fire-if we just ignored and silenced the alarm.

False alarms can be dangerous when they become routine.

Kevin Maxwell:

--- Quote from: Stephen Swaffer on October 19, 2021, 12:43:25 PM ---What concerns me about this issue is people being lulled into thinking the alarm system is crying wolf.  A few years ago we had an issue with setting off rate of rise sensors in a production area.  One day the fire alarm was triggered, the employee who took the alarm company's called waved them off-without knowing what was happening.  We still had employees loitering in a building with the alarms sounding and my boss at the time first concern was turning off the alarm.  My concern was finding the source of the alarm-which, while there was no fire, had been triggered by an HVAC contractor leaving a unit running at high fire when he left the building-so a legitimate alarm.  Not catching it could have caused a fire-if we just ignored and silenced the alarm.

False alarms can be dangerous when they become routine.

--- End quote ---

It wouldn't have mattered if it was a real alarm on not, the fire department shows up with multiple trucks. And the place gets evacuated before they show up. And once the alarm goes off the fire department is on their way there is no way to tell them not to come.

They haven't had any problems that I know of since the system was changed to one that a hazer wouldn't set off the alarm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version