ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D&B Q1 - Acceptance  (Read 2405 times)

Johan Falt

• Sweden/Jonkoping
    • http://www.lucas.se
D&B Q1 - Acceptance
« on: October 15, 2021, 02:38:58 AM »

Hello

How do you feel about using a D&B Q1 system today. How is the acceptance, it is almost a 20 year old system?

The reason for this is that we need to buy a new or better used sound system. The right way would be to buy a V or a Y -System, but since the system will be used too infrequently, it will be very cost inefficient. At the same time, we have to own some form of slightly larger system, for some jobs the budget does not allow renting systems. WE currently have a lot of Point Source from D&B, we have plenty of subs and D80 amplifiers. All we need to buy are Top Boxes. Q1 are pretty cheap these days.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: D&B Q1 - Acceptance
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 06:11:14 AM »

Hello

How do you feel about using a D&B Q1 system today. How is the acceptance, it is almost a 20 year old system?

The reason for this is that we need to buy a new or better used sound system. The right way would be to buy a V or a Y -System, but since the system will be used too infrequently, it will be very cost inefficient. At the same time, we have to own some form of slightly larger system, for some jobs the budget does not allow renting systems. WE currently have a lot of Point Source from D&B, we have plenty of subs and D80 amplifiers. All we need to buy are Top Boxes. Q1 are pretty cheap these days.

It's a very dated system these days.
Doesn't sound that great.
Box to box coupling isn't that great, so if you try to use more boxes for bigger gigs or longer distances, it doesn't work that well..

If it's for a short distance application, it could work.

I'll admit I was never a fan of it sound-wise when it was new either, but I could make it work. Now I prefer something else.
IMHO, YMMV etc.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 01:31:10 PM »

What's your application?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Johan Falt

• Sweden/Jonkoping
    • http://www.lucas.se
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 02:15:24 AM »

What's your application?

Mostly Corporate, smaller city festivals around 3000pax. Throw distances up to 40-45m. 

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 10:21:22 AM »

Mostly Corporate, smaller city festivals around 3000pax. Throw distances up to 40-45m.

Q-series is a little lightweight for outside 3000 people if you're doing anything that requires "punch" to it. But it'll certainly cover fine for C level and amateur acts that aren't spec-ing specific riders.

It's still a good solid corporate box so long as you're not talking huge meetings.

I still like the sound of the Qs. They don't have the punch of the later series [or it's bigger J seriesa contemporary] and they definitely don't have the lower frequency pattern control of the current d&b offerings. But they're solid and reliable and easy to put together. If you can get them for a good price with at least the D20 amplifiers I think you could get a good ROI on them.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 09:47:40 AM »

We put together a 12 Q1 + 6 B2 rig w/ D20s to replace our KF730 system a few years ago and handle the smaller, lower budget gigs that didn't warrant our V system. It's been a great tool in the toolbox, louder and lighter than the 730s while helping standardize our amplifier inventory. We use it primarily for venues with rider carrying acts 1000 seats and under along with larger crowds at street festival type gigs that don't require tons of output. They also make great side fills, out fills, front fills for our larger V deployments.

And somehow we've managed to not lose any rigging bits along the way.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 10:34:28 AM »

And somehow we've managed to not lose any rigging bits along the way.

And just like that 7 pin sets disappeared from their storage place...

It is worth noting that with the non-captive hardware that the Q uses that it's imperative that you have a plan in place to keep track of that stuff and that you are meticulous about following it. Nothing like being 1 freaking pin set short and now you can't hang two of your cabinets.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 02:52:09 AM »

I have a Q1 rig, and I love it.  I have 18 boxes, and a friend of mine has another ~30.   We have used it on some large gigs here,  ~8,000 people, in hangs of 10-14 per side, plus out fill hangs.  8 per side can be very powerful and cover the distance you are talking about, and that audience size.  I think it is a great option for you to look at, given your stated needs.  Make sure you can get the hardware you need, as it is no longer necessarily easy to get.  I have found it to be very rider friendly, and have owned it for around five years.

It is small and lightweight, but packs a big punch.  In my mind, the biggest drawback is the rigging hardware... which is really not that big of a deal but is way less convenient than the captive rigging on Y or other new boxes.
Y and V can outperform with pattern control, but really where they can shine is with array processing. Of course, this requires more amplifiers.  Y is also lighter, and looks better with a grill instead of foam. 

We also have the smaller T10 rig, which is amazing as well.  This is so lightweight and easy to deploy, has a small footprint, and tons of flexible rigging options- fly frames, cluster brackets, point source brackets... this has been a great tool for some of our show, and it goes out all of the time.  You can use array processing with it, and it has captive rigging hardware.

Another good option to look at if you want a powerful rig is the refurbished J series...

Anyway, full disclosure, I am also a d&b mobile dealer... but I owned these rigs before that, because they are some of my favorite that I have mixed on.

Cheers, I hope that is helpful info.
Nils

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 02:52:09 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.