ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Uplighting for my Band  (Read 4125 times)

duane massey

Re: Monoprice units
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 12:33:47 AM »

Can any of the Monoprice owners tell me if the units hold their programming if the power is turned off or they get unplugged?

I have a friend in a bar who would like some basic led pars to use when they have shows outside but don’t want to have to re-address them every time they do an outside show, or have the lighting reset if the power goes out (or more common somebody turns the switched outlet off)

Or if anybody knows of inexpensive pars that keep their programming?

Thanks

Craig
Yes, they hold their address and mode when powered off. I installed 24 of them on an outdoor stage, and they are powered off during the week. After three years we've lost 3 fixtures, but that may have something to do with constant exposure to the Gulf coast humidity and/or copious amounts of pigeon poop.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Re: Monoprice units
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 12:53:41 AM »

Yes, they hold their address and mode when powered off. I installed 24 of them on an outdoor stage, and they are powered off during the week. After three years we've lost 3 fixtures, but that may have something to do with constant exposure to the Gulf coast humidity and/or copious amounts of pigeon poop.

Thanks!

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
Re: Uplighting for my Band
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 05:26:33 AM »

Having consumption as the 'brightness' indicator is, as said above flawed, but also manufacturers have totally thrown away photometric standards. You can have a light meter, and measure the light landing on a subject at different distances, but the distance has to be matched to beamwidth. a reading of around 100Lux can suddenly become 1000 or even 3000 by spotting it down. A studio LED panel with a really wide beamwidth is a glowworm, compared to a beamlight. So a 300W softlight will be really dim compared to a 90W beam.

The Chinese brands never give photometrics that make sense, and some are just unbelievable - bending physics.

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 08:53:30 AM »

Maybe I should have explained a bit more.  We have some Chauvet 4Bar Tri's that wash the stage for my band.  In addition, we sometimes use some ADJ Quad Phase's for some effects with a haze machine.  As a very mediocre guitar player, I find myself struggling when I sometimes look down at my fretboard to see where I am on certain leads.  The bass player runs light, I take sound.  He sometimes uses strobe type effects or real dim lighting where it gets difficult for me to see things, yep I'm old.  I was thinking by having a par on a more constant light, maybe a blue on me and other players, it would provide a consistent situation and not take away from the effects on stage?  Does that make any sense?  Hope this helps.  Thanks again for the discussion.

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 10:45:20 AM »

Lighting on stage is for effect and mood, not illumination. If it's light enough to let you read, it's too bright. At least, for modern lighting where it's often backlight heavy and the band are in silhouette because they economised on face lighting. If you need the pedals lit, a cheap battery powered music stand clip on will do the trick. When orchestras hire lighting designers, they always have music stand lights which spill enough to see. Harpists often have little lights of their own so they can always see the red strings. Without little white lights, a red stage wash messes it totally up for them.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 01:39:17 PM »

Lighting on stage is for effect and mood, not illumination. If it's light enough to let you read, it's too bright. At least, for modern lighting where it's often backlight heavy and the band are in silhouette because they economised on face lighting. If you need the pedals lit, a cheap battery powered music stand clip on will do the trick. When orchestras hire lighting designers, they always have music stand lights which spill enough to see. Harpists often have little lights of their own so they can always see the red strings. Without little white lights, a red stage wash messes it totally up for them.
Yup, music stand light as part of your pedal board. Probably can plug it in too.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 02:30:55 PM »

+1 for the monoprice lights. I've got about 30 of them. Had a few issues here and there. Make sure you always loosen the screws when adjusting the brackets. I think that's how mine broke over time.

However the price is right and monoprice will cover any DOA.

LOU

These look like a good cost effective wash light for a DJ system.  What I'm looking for is a 110V DMX controlled LED fixture that can be permanently be mounted inside a box truss that flys over a DJ console to light the controller and DJ.  Basic 45 degree up and 45 degree out L&R with two fixtures.  Bottom of truss will be 8-9' from the floor.

Monoprice calls these fixtures wash, but I can't find any beam width specifications.

FL, MFL, WFL?

Thx!

Lou Kohley

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2021, 09:03:34 PM »

These look like a good cost effective wash light for a DJ system.  What I'm looking for is a 110V DMX controlled LED fixture that can be permanently be mounted inside a box truss that flys over a DJ console to light the controller and DJ.  Basic 45 degree up and 45 degree out L&R with two fixtures.  Bottom of truss will be 8-9' from the floor.

Monoprice calls these fixtures wash, but I can't find any beam width specifications.

FL, MFL, WFL?

Thx!

I can't find anything in the manual about beam width. If it helps at all here's a stage where I used these lights exclusively.
Again the price is right.

LOU

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2021, 10:11:00 PM »

I can't find anything in the manual about beam width. If it helps at all here's a stage where I used these lights exclusively.
Again the price is right.

LOU

Thanks.  The Monoprice lights out front on the L&R trees?  What is uplighting the back drape?

I ordered 2 of them to use on a truss to light a DJ/Console.  If necessary, I can put a diffusing lens or gel in front of them.  Been thinking of how to shutter them as well.  I'm going to pick up a couple of dog neck funnels that are used to keep them from licking/scratching themselves.  Cut to fit with scissors, Attach secure with RTV or two sided tape and spray them matte black.

They outta work great and I like the cheap plastic aspects as they will be permanently installed in the box truss and will add minimum weight for handling.

Sorry for crapping your thread with this Paul - it's somewhat related at least.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 09:47:31 AM by Steve-White »

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2021, 06:21:09 PM »

The two Monoprice LED PAR's arrived today.  Easy to address.  Lots of output, good color saturation, hue and mixing.  The fans are quiet and they run only warm to the touch at full power.

Not sure if I will shutter and diffuse them or not.  Will have to setup truss and DJ console and test at actual working distance.

Thanks Duane and Lou for suggesting these cost effective lights.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2021, 06:21:09 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.