Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Uplighting for my Band

(1/5) > >>

Mark Norgren:
How about some recommendations for par lighting for uplighting a band.  Looking for something smaller that I can use for uplighting in front of each band member.  I would prefer to stay away from the chinese no name and at the same time, not break the bank.  Maybe looking for a max budget of $100 per fixture?  Anyone?

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Mark Norgren on October 12, 2021, 07:09:14 AM ---How about some recommendations for par lighting for uplighting a band.  Looking for something smaller that I can use for uplighting in front of each band member.  I would prefer to stay away from the chinese no name and at the same time, not break the bank.  Maybe looking for a max budget of $100 per fixture?  Anyone?

--- End quote ---
Generally speaking, uplighting people is not a good look.  Think flashlight and spooky story.
If you're just filling in shadows (footlights) keep it dim.

Steve-White:
^^  What he said.  Uplighting or footlights not really what ya want.

However, side and back of stage uplighting can look great depending upon the surface - even ceiling in some cases or walls to ceiling.

I use battery powered uplights, wireless DMX controlled - primarily for a DJ system setup - but will use them for halloween this year too.  They range in price from $275 to $350 each.

Paul Johnson:
You're not going to get much branded gear for your budget - but there are a few things we bought that were Chinese but branded and useful. We bought a pile of lightbars - there are two sorts, and they bioth have 9x9 LED sections. One is RGB, where you get red, green and blue squares, and the other type just randomly mixes the RGB leds - so you get a different look. They're useful because you can mount them off microphone stands dangling down vertically, or lay them on the ground in front of the mic stands pointing up. I'm not a lover of that as a lighting position because I'm old enough to remember footlights - and they create horrible shadows and make everyone's eyes have shadows in the wrong places. On stands, you can throw light more effectively, and of course you can arrange them behind the band to use as eye candy - with patterns and blinder style effects. They can be addressed as one long bar using 3 DMX channels, or you can go up to 24 DMX channels for all kinds of effects. Look up American DJ - they have this kind of thing, but you can buy the same thing direct for less money.

Steve-White:
+1 on the light bars.  I have both ADJ & Chauvet and run them in a DJ system in overhead truss to light the dance floor.

Light bars similar to the ADJ Ultra Hex Bar 12 work great for backdrop uplighting or on tripods as side or front wash.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version