ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Uplighting for my Band  (Read 4178 times)

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
Uplighting for my Band
« on: October 12, 2021, 07:09:14 AM »

How about some recommendations for par lighting for uplighting a band.  Looking for something smaller that I can use for uplighting in front of each band member.  I would prefer to stay away from the chinese no name and at the same time, not break the bank.  Maybe looking for a max budget of $100 per fixture?  Anyone?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Uplighting for my Band
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 01:05:13 PM »

How about some recommendations for par lighting for uplighting a band.  Looking for something smaller that I can use for uplighting in front of each band member.  I would prefer to stay away from the chinese no name and at the same time, not break the bank.  Maybe looking for a max budget of $100 per fixture?  Anyone?
Generally speaking, uplighting people is not a good look.  Think flashlight and spooky story.
If you're just filling in shadows (footlights) keep it dim.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 03:51:42 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 01:50:05 PM »

^^  What he said.  Uplighting or footlights not really what ya want.

However, side and back of stage uplighting can look great depending upon the surface - even ceiling in some cases or walls to ceiling.

I use battery powered uplights, wireless DMX controlled - primarily for a DJ system setup - but will use them for halloween this year too.  They range in price from $275 to $350 each.

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 04:21:31 PM »

You're not going to get much branded gear for your budget - but there are a few things we bought that were Chinese but branded and useful. We bought a pile of lightbars - there are two sorts, and they bioth have 9x9 LED sections. One is RGB, where you get red, green and blue squares, and the other type just randomly mixes the RGB leds - so you get a different look. They're useful because you can mount them off microphone stands dangling down vertically, or lay them on the ground in front of the mic stands pointing up. I'm not a lover of that as a lighting position because I'm old enough to remember footlights - and they create horrible shadows and make everyone's eyes have shadows in the wrong places. On stands, you can throw light more effectively, and of course you can arrange them behind the band to use as eye candy - with patterns and blinder style effects. They can be addressed as one long bar using 3 DMX channels, or you can go up to 24 DMX channels for all kinds of effects. Look up American DJ - they have this kind of thing, but you can buy the same thing direct for less money.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 11:03:42 PM »

+1 on the light bars.  I have both ADJ & Chauvet and run them in a DJ system in overhead truss to light the dance floor.

Light bars similar to the ADJ Ultra Hex Bar 12 work great for backdrop uplighting or on tripods as side or front wash.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 06:17:09 PM by Steve-White »

duane massey

Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Lou Kohley

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 02:30:19 AM »

I've had good results with these fixtures:  https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=612749&gclid=CjwKCAjwi6TYBRAYEiwAOeH7GVE1DOCa2NsnNDGG-2Yr2bdOl0267kDsG-PWCmH6haFtgkkaD-0WHBoCvIkQAvD_BwE

+1 for the monoprice lights. I've got about 30 of them. Had a few issues here and there. Make sure you always loosen the screws when adjusting the brackets. I think that's how mine broke over time.

However the price is right and monoprice will cover any DOA.

LOU

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 04:28:25 PM »

Alright I can't resist, and this applies to many. many light suppliers.  "90 watt output" in the Monoprice specs.  Light output is measured in Lumens.  Power consumption is measured in watts.  Same thing applies to loudspeaker ratings. A "1000 watt" passive loudspeaker (if such a thing really exists) does not "produce" 1000 watts of power.  It probably won't handle 1000 watts either, and as forum members we all know that.  I could go on, but I won't.  Sorry I just couldn't resist.

Lou Kohley

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 05:48:27 PM »

Alright I can't resist, and this applies to many. many light suppliers.  "90 watt output" in the Monoprice specs.  Light output is measured in Lumens.  Power consumption is measured in watts.  Same thing applies to loudspeaker ratings. A "1000 watt" passive loudspeaker (if such a thing really exists) does not "produce" 1000 watts of power.  It probably won't handle 1000 watts either, and as forum members we all know that.  I could go on, but I won't.  Sorry I just couldn't resist.

It's probably a peak output as well. With all colors (RGBW) turned up to full.

LOU

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Re: Monoprice units
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 10:42:29 PM »

Can any of the Monoprice owners tell me if the units hold their programming if the power is turned off or they get unplugged?

I have a friend in a bar who would like some basic led pars to use when they have shows outside but don’t want to have to re-address them every time they do an outside show, or have the lighting reset if the power goes out (or more common somebody turns the switched outlet off)

Or if anybody knows of inexpensive pars that keep their programming?

Thanks

Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Monoprice units
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 10:42:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.