ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The definitive answer for X/M32 AES50 cabling  (Read 6769 times)

ThomasA(lbenberger)

Re: The definitive answer for X/M32 AES50 cabling
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 02:59:22 PM »

So any properly constructed spec compliant shielded cat5e cable with ethercons properly connected to the shield should work.  IIRC the M32 documentation still lists 100m as the max length and the x32 lists 80m.  Cat5e is important because that’s what MG specs and because the twist rate is different for different spec cables which can lead to signal skew related problems.  Using solid vs stranded and pass-throughs will have an impact on your distance as well.

For the most reliable connection over distance fiber conversion is going to be your best bet.

Erik: How do you send AES50 over fibre?

Thanks,

Thomas

Taylor Hall

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 03:05:16 PM »

Erik: How do you send AES50 over fibre?

Thanks,

Thomas
The DN9620 converts between the two, but at 2 grand a set, it's a heavy investment.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

ThomasA(lbenberger)

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 09:29:04 AM »

The DN9620 converts between the two, but at 2 grand a set, it's a heavy investment.

Thank you Taylor!

Interesting product.

Best regards,

Thomas

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 10:47:34 AM »

For interest, I just tried two Cat5E 50m cables with a back to back coupler on my X32 and M32 working to the stage box. Initially it worked, but coming back after ten minutes the green indicators were red. The Midas and Behringher do the same thing,

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 11:30:02 AM »

For interest, I just tried two Cat5E 50m cables with a back to back coupler on my X32 and M32 working to the stage box. Initially it worked, but coming back after ten minutes the green indicators were red. The Midas and Behringher do the same thing,

Which coupler?

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 01:09:24 PM »

I'm not hugely surprised to hear this. 100m would be stretching it regardless (especially if you're using stranded wire), and the coupler is only going to make things worse.

-Russ

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 08:11:36 PM »

Which coupler?

Subtract 10m from max cable length for each coupler in the chain for reliable operation.
Brian Jojade

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
The definitive answer for X/M32 AES50 cabling
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2021, 09:35:40 AM »

Not all couplers are made equal.  The Neutrik NE8FF just has untwisted wires on the inside(And frankly shouldn’t be relied on for anything show critical IMO).

I would expect the Neutrik NE8FFX6-W to perform much better given its Cat6A compliance, however I have no first had experience (they were quite a bit more expensive the last time I looked)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2021, 01:25:32 AM »

Rapco is selling "extended range" solid core Durashield Cat5e now. It's pricey, over $2 a foot
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Martin Morris

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2021, 08:36:54 PM »

Now that we're getting steadily back into events, we're finding ourselves getting shows that were previously out of our reach because of the glut of other outfits operating in our area. Well, a lot of them didn't survive the pandemic and now we're seeing a boom in RFQs for larger gigs.

Our connectivity setup had up until now served us perfectly fine as we never needed to have FOH further than 50m away from our stage boxes. Our MG branded ethercon cable has been totally reliable for the several years we've had our M32, but now we need to increase that length for an upcoming event.

Because of that, there are two questions I need definitive answers to: 1) will any STP ethercon cable with bonded ends provide the same reliability we've experienced so far, and 2) do these mixers and stage boxes adhere to the same 100m limit that the AES50 protocol defines?

I've seen contradicting answers to both of those questions elsewhere, so I wanted to bounce these off of other end users before I save a bunch of money and get a longer cable (and potentially bomb the event), or waste a bunch of money and get the extender and another MG cable.

https://www.klarkteknik.com/product.html?modelCode=P0AS5

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1002570-REG/klark_teknik_dn9610_aes50_repeater.html

cheers
Martin
Dude told me to "go back to where I came from", so I set my tent up on his front lawn ... (unnamed Indian)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2021, 08:36:54 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.