ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing on an iPad in a crowd  (Read 4733 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Mixing on an iPad in a crowd
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2021, 01:01:24 PM »

I might be paranoid, but this strikes me as a bad idea. When I'm at work I only put things around my neck that will break away easily, just in case something snags (or someone decides that my day has been going altogether too well).

Would it be possible to use a wrist-strap instead? I mean, wrists can break too, but the results are rarely fatal...

-Russ
Google 'ipad handle case'.  I have one with an adjustable loop to slide your hand through.  You'd be hard pressed to knock that out of my hand. Also allows me to drop my arm occasionally to relax.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 03:49:20 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2021, 07:30:10 PM »

As the OP I found a pic (that someone posted on FB) of the band at-the-gig!
We were between tunes when it was taken. I am 4th from the left.
Look at the crowd - as stated; I couldn't find the sound guy in the crowd....('didn't help that he's about 5'5" tall).
...and this is one of the reasons why moving around to mix is a bad idea.

When I show up to mix for a band (on their gear, which sometimes is an iPad), I mix from a FOH location and never move the entire gig.  The bands all have expressed their appreciation of the "extra step" of NOT moving around. 

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2021, 07:47:20 PM »

...and this is one of the reasons why moving around to mix is a bad idea.

When I show up to mix for a band (on their gear, which sometimes is an iPad), I mix from a FOH location and never move the entire gig.  The bands all have expressed their appreciation of the "extra step" of NOT moving around.

Yep.  Whatever you do, there must be a connection to the band at all times.  Ya can't go MIA.  They need to have 100% confidence in you at all times.  The engineer is there to service the band first and foremost.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2021, 09:58:36 AM »

A few years ago I was mixing on a 'real' board in a club-old school using my Mixwiz and a fight broke out right next to me. One of the guys ended up laying backwards on my board whilst being held down and punched.

Pretty sure I played that room in the eighties ;) .

Supporting the previous comments, stay visible, be obvious when changing position and, I find that the "uplighting" from a tablet can be a helpful beacon to those on stage.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2021, 09:26:23 PM »

Google 'ipad handle case'.  I have one with an adjustable loop to slide your hand through.  You'd be hard pressed to knock that out of my hand. Also allows me to drop my arm occasionally to relax.

Yup.  I like using an iPad mini for remote mix work. The cases I use have a rotating handle on the back, so when I get bored, I can spin the iPad on my hand too. :)

The ones I bought also include an optional neck strap.  The clips on it are light duty enough that it should break away relatively easy before my neck breaks, should it need to.  I rarely use that though.

My biggest concern is remembering to LOCK the iPad if I put my hand down. If you rest the face of the iPad on your pant leg, you can inadvertently change settings which can be horrendously bad.
Brian Jojade

Dave Guilford

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2021, 09:09:47 AM »

My biggest concern is remembering to LOCK the iPad if I put my hand down. If you rest the face of the iPad on your pant leg, you can inadvertently change settings which can be horrendously bad.

That’s why I don’t wear pants when I mix

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2021, 09:34:51 AM »

My experience is all good having the board close to stage and letting the sound guy roam with a pad.  If they are watching the band and see that one of us needs something, they pretty much can raise their hand and we can find them pretty easy.  Communication has not been an issue for us. 

Having the board on stage also allows me to make monitor adjustments in the beginning of the gig for those band members who refuse to do it on their phone (my pet peeve!).  Never had a fight close to my board, but I could see an issue with that or drunk patrons with drinks "accidentally" spilling on the board?  There's a reason when you go to a bar where the house sound guy is in an enclosed space with sides protecting the board.  MHO

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2021, 01:17:14 PM »

I pondered on this after I posted my earlier comment about the fight that broke out next to me years ago in a bar. 
I have to say I have had far less issues with members of the audience since I started using an iPad.
Not sure whether it is because I am female but I used to get idiots walk over and attempt to move faders and look at me and laugh like it was cool. I'd flick their hand away and say sternly, " DON'T".
I've even come back from the restroom during the break after having covered the board with a cloth or case to find a punter having removed the cover and standing there checking out my board..... Then I have to work out whether he actually changed anything.
These days my iPad(s) stay with me and if I need to leave my station, I can easily put my iPads in my bag that I keep by my side at FOH  and take to the stage till I get back. I MUCH prefer using an iPad even though there are trade-offs...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2021, 04:02:00 PM »

{...} If you rest the face of the iPad on your pant leg, you can inadvertently change settings which can be horrendously bad.

That’s why I don’t wear pants when I mix

I'm confused by this: most capacitive touch screens don't work properly without skin (or other conductive surface) contact. Brushing an iPad along your pants should have no effect (assuming there isn't a rivet or something), but brushing an iPad along your bare legs almost certainly will (depending on how hairy your legs are, anyway).

(I just did a highly un-scientific experiment to try and confirm this by using a piece of my shirt to try and unlock my phone; the screen didn't even register that it was being touched.)

-Russ

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2021, 04:37:51 PM »

I'm confused by this: most capacitive touch screens don't work properly without skin (or other conductive surface) contact. Brushing an iPad along your pants should have no effect (assuming there isn't a rivet or something), but brushing an iPad along your bare legs almost certainly will (depending on how hairy your legs are, anyway).

(I just did a highly un-scientific experiment to try and confirm this by using a piece of my shirt to try and unlock my phone; the screen didn't even register that it was being touched.)

-Russ

I also just tried this myself because I too have a vague recollection of my iPad screen inadvertently reacting to my leg through jeans when hung from the strap. I just tried to scroll my iPhone screen with my finger through my T shirt and it did respond randomly.......?????
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2021, 04:37:51 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.