ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing on an iPad in a crowd  (Read 4732 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
Mixing on an iPad in a crowd
« on: October 11, 2021, 08:25:40 AM »

Yesterday I performed (on bari sax) with a local band at an outdoor event (local fundraiser) with about 500 people in attendance.
The band is kind of a "too-big" jam session.  By "too-big"; 2 drummers, 2 percussionists, 1 bass, 1 keyboard, 3 guitars, 3 chick singers, 1 trumpet, 1 trombone, 3 saxes, 1 harmonica. 
It's a fun band to play in but it is a bear to tech...........I've provided the rig for them in the past and it is not fun at all; as many monitors/mixes as a board will allow, mic'ing two drum kits, everyone wanting more in their monitors, etc.

There is one tech (my local mentor) that has been working with this band over the years and knows how to get it done...
well
his son got married yesterday, so he wasn't on the gig.....so another local provider was there.  I have worked with him (he's competent) but he doesn't know the band.

There was no time for a sound check (logistical issue as the stage was not available until 1 hour before start time) thus the tech checked all of the lines/mics and mixed the best he could during the first set.  There were issues...

on point:
While performing on stage I tried to locate "Jim" several times (as usually a couple of hand signals will take care of things) but he was "lost in the crowd of dancers" as he was out front mixing...  I kept following the power wires (strung overhead) looking for a FOH position - but there was none.... (there used to be in ancient times -lol).
I kind of wished that he had worn something that would have made him stand-out (bright red stocking cap - or something) as the gig was not formal at all.

Hey, it wasn't my gig to tech as I was a muso on that gig.

My question:
Besides wearing gig black has anyone ever worn anything "highly noticeable" to performers on stage?
FOH is mobile these days....

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Mixing on an iPad in a crowd
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 08:39:51 AM »

I usually find that wearing typical sound engineer attire and carrying an iPad does the job. I do quite a lot of mixing from the audience, but visit side-of-stage between most songs to check in with the band.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Ed Taylor

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 02:08:32 PM »

Yesterday I performed (on bari sax) with a local band at an outdoor event (local fundraiser) with about 500 people in attendance.
The band is kind of a "too-big" jam session.  By "too-big"; 2 drummers, 2 percussionists, 1 bass, 1 keyboard, 3 guitars, 3 chick singers, 1 trumpet, 1 trombone, 3 saxes, 1 harmonica. 
It's a fun band to play in but it is a bear to tech...........I've provided the rig for them in the past and it is not fun at all; as many monitors/mixes as a board will allow, mic'ing two drum kits, everyone wanting more in their monitors, etc.

There is one tech (my local mentor) that has been working with this band over the years and knows how to get it done...
well
his son got married yesterday, so he wasn't on the gig.....so another local provider was there.  I have worked with him (he's competent) but he doesn't know the band.

There was no time for a sound check (logistical issue as the stage was not available until 1 hour before start time) thus the tech checked all of the lines/mics and mixed the best he could during the first set.  There were issues...

on point:
While performing on stage I tried to locate "Jim" several times (as usually a couple of hand signals will take care of things) but he was "lost in the crowd of dancers" as he was out front mixing...  I kept following the power wires (strung overhead) looking for a FOH position - but there was none.... (there used to be in ancient times -lol).
I kind of wished that he had worn something that would have made him stand-out (bright red stocking cap - or something) as the gig was not formal at all.

Hey, it wasn't my gig to tech as I was a muso on that gig.

My question:
Besides wearing gig black has anyone ever worn anything "highly noticeable" to performers on stage?
FOH is mobile these days....

me and my crew wear my logo polo shirts. I don't let them run around with ragged T-shirt, etc.  if outdoors, cargo shorts to keep cool, indoors, black long pants.

but if we need to step up our attire based on the event, then yeah, we've gone full coat n tie before.

I think, if I understand your post, you are mixing and monitor mix from FOH position?
I tend to do the opposite
I'd rather setup stage side, as if the entire mix is a monitor world rig.
most of the work is there anyway.
so everything happens right there where I can watch and they can get my attention.

then I'll take my ipad and walk out front for the FOH mix.

Ken Braziel

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 02:20:22 PM »

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 03:52:57 PM »

He should have been paying attention to you guys.  It's easy to see when somebody on stage wants something and generally pretty easy to figure out what it is.

I've kicked gigs off many times without a sound check.  Also setup stages for acts that showed up with their own BE that walked up and got it done without any sound check.

Lack of awareness.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 05:32:38 PM »

He should have been paying attention to you guys.  It's easy to see when somebody on stage wants something and generally pretty easy to figure out what it is.

I've kicked gigs off many times without a sound check.  Also setup stages for acts that showed up with their own BE that walked up and got it done without any sound check.

Lack of awareness.

I agree...

I check in all the time - making myself very obvious and visible to the band. I make a point of paying close attention with eye contact at least for the first couple of songs.
When I first transitioned from physical faders to iPad mixing, Chris made mention to me that he had noticed i was looking down more at the 'board' than I did before. Must be something to do with not being able to feel the faders and of course I wasn't yet used to where everything was located on the screen.
So I made an effort to look up as much as I could from that point....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 05:45:26 PM »

Many years ago, when I got into this industry (and it really wasn't even an industry), the first thing I learned was simple: WATCH THE STAGE!... somehow most entry- and mid-level operators don't understand that, and I've been on stage a few times when a "national" provider was involved with the same lack of attention. I am grateful I retired from mixing before the age of tablets came about, as I always looked at the stage while feeling the sliders/knobs to make adjustments.
Being a professional should be about more than just getting paid.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 08:32:21 PM »

I usually find that wearing typical sound engineer attire and carrying an iPad does the job. I do quite a lot of mixing from the audience, but visit side-of-stage between most songs to check in with the band.

Chris

That has been my approach as well.  When I'm playing bass with my band, I'll take an iPad out front using my wireless, find a spare spot and hang out for a couple of tunes to start the set.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 09:15:25 PM »

That in size of event would definitely benefit from having a dedicated monitor tech that hangs around side stage.  In that case, the musicians should have little to no need to contact the FOH engineer.

Yes, with tablets, it's way too easy to get your face stuck in the tablet and not actually pay attention to what's going on stage.  Definitely a benefit of physical controls. Of course, if there's no FOH position available, tablet becomes the only choice, so learning how your app works so you have to look as briefly as possible is helpful.
Brian Jojade

Sam Saponaro Jr

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 11:37:05 PM »

I mix a band sometimes on their iPad Qsc touchmix.....hate that it doesn't respond to my touch like all touchy feely devices. Cellphones hate me too.
Anyhow...am I the only one to raise the question.....what happens when a drunk knocks the thing out of my hand while either fighting or sloshing their way across the room????
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 11:39:51 PM by Sam Saponaro Jr »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 11:37:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.