ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: DSR-112 as top on 2 x 18  (Read 3676 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: DSR-112 as top on 2 x 18
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 11:35:02 AM »

Combined with the HP in the DSR I expect ?

No - full on the DSR so only the frequencies above the set HP filter in the sub were sent to the DSR. Combining the 2 would leave a hole as the HP in the DSR is set at 30Hz higher. There are no other HP options on these 2 speakers.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mal Brown

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2021, 11:39:45 AM »

No - full on the DSR so only the frequencies above the set HP filter in the sub were sent to the DSR. Combining the 2 would leave a hole as the HP in the DSR is set at 30Hz higher. There are no other HP options on these 2 speakers.

Ah, not an option on the KW-181.  In the QSC ecosystem the HPF is in the top and LPF is in the sub.  Full range is passed out of the sub.  (As I recall anyway, guess I'd better double check that.)
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2021, 11:44:01 AM »

Ah, not an option on the KW-181.  In the QSC ecosystem the HPF is in the top and LPF is in the sub.  Full range is passed out of the sub.  (As I recall anyway, guess I'd better double check that.)

Correct....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Bolt

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2021, 03:23:22 PM »

Yep.  The QSC's are fairly unique in this market I believe (ie, no HP output, only full range).  Some subs even have a variable frequency cross-over output for this purpose (My drummer's CV118's did).

I run mine like Debbie suggested for the same reasons.  One, it sounded better, and two, it made sense not having a 30Hz hole in the frequency response between 90 and 120.  There was definitely a noticeable "punch" loss when you eliminated this range by engaging the DSR112 HPF.

Mal Brown

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 07:33:14 PM »

Setup on the drive way.  1 stack only.  Just to get the crossover point.
DZR-315 over 2 181's DZR crossover set to 100.  Approx 2 db bump at 100 got things sounding nice.
DSr-112 over the 181's.  Using the DZR as a very expensive speaker stand ...  2 db at 100, 1.5 (ish) at 125 and ...

Pretty darned nice!  First time I've been abe to fire a DZR-315 up at any kind of volume.  They are healthy.  Pretty sure they would simply bury my old KW -153's.

I have IG3T's in bound in early November, it will be interesting to compare the two boxes
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

James Paul

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2021, 10:01:16 PM »

Where did you cross ?   
IME, has varied dependent on situations of subs models, sub placement, sub to top distance, venue, and to a lesser degree, type of live talent.
But as an example of a more common scenario of a DSR112 over DXS18. Full range audio fed in to XLR input of a DXS18 crossed at 100hz, output switch set to through, polarity and D-XSub both normal, DSR112 HPF engaged, no D-Contour. This allows for separate levels of sub and top via rear panels level controls, as well as user preferential control of sub crossover point, polarity, and LF enhancement.
If dual XLR feed available to sub/top combo, then one can `zero out' the cabinets and feed separately processed.     

Mal Brown

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2021, 08:46:57 AM »

I guess my next step will be trying an external crossover if the weather turns.  Seems like we are crossing out of summer and into rainy season today...  We need the rain and high elevation snow so no complaints! 

I have an analog dbx stereo 2 way from the old days.  A 123 I think.  I can pull a BSS MiniDrive from the 'large' rig so I have options.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Scott Bolt

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2021, 02:32:33 PM »

I guess my next step will be trying an external crossover if the weather turns.  Seems like we are crossing out of summer and into rainy season today...  We need the rain and high elevation snow so no complaints! 

I have an analog dbx stereo 2 way from the old days.  A 123 I think.  I can pull a BSS MiniDrive from the 'large' rig so I have options.
Sounds like a great experiment.  I suspect you will find that the additional setup time isn't worth the incremental sound quality .... but I don't know it for a fact ;).

Looking forward to the report.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2021, 03:43:54 PM »

Sounds like a great experiment.  I suspect you will find that the additional setup time isn't worth the incremental sound quality .... but I don't know it for a fact ;).

Looking forward to the report.

Yep, that has been my conclusion based on very limited testing. I use the high pass output from my subs and fix any issues with EQ - quick and sounds great. Seems like there are always a huge list of more pressing issues that demand my time before a show (mostly involving 3rd parties that no nothing about sound and view my equipment as an unnecessary inconvenience - "why does this speaker need to be here?").

Mal Brown

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2021, 04:39:45 PM »

Yep, that has been my conclusion based on very limited testing. I use the high pass output from my subs and fix any issues with EQ - quick and sounds great. Seems like there are always a huge list of more pressing issues that demand my time before a show (mostly involving 3rd parties that no nothing about sound and view my equipment as an unnecessary inconvenience - "why does this speaker need to be here?").
except for my KW-181's the out is full range...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2021, 04:39:45 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.