ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Understanding power compression in drivers  (Read 2667 times)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Understanding power compression in drivers
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2021, 09:01:23 AM »

Would anybody mind explaining how this affects power compression?

The only driver manufacturers that I know off that show power compression figures are JBL and Precision devices.
18sound used to but unfortunately "updated" their spec sheets (even on older drivers) since the  acquisition by B&C.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N975F met Tapatalk

Overall system tuning optimization doesn't really "affect" power compression.  Having things setup well will limit the effects of power compression.

Don't lose any sleep over power compression - read through the thread a time or two and maybe search for information.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2021, 09:52:41 AM »

Power compression becomes "a thing" when you routinely run your system to the edge and keep it there.  Where the edge is depends on multiple factors and they're in discussion here :)

The tipping point is where applying 3dB more electricity does not produce 3dB more acoustic output.  Once you're there, going back (thermally) without being noticed is nearly impossible.

Genre DOES play a role in how I set subwoofer limiters - things with lots of kick drum and occasional 808 drop are treated differently than EDM.  For the former I'm interested in keeping peak mechanical excursion down as well as long term power limiting; in the latter I'm mostly interested in long term power.  Where that ends is a thermal AND xMax consideration (as Mac pointed out) but my experience has been that for EDM subwoofage the long term power limiter threshold turned out to be about 25-30% of "rated" power or power compression would become noticeable after a half hour or so.

I recall an EDM even (I think Fowler may have been involved) where there were duplicate banks of subs and a switching scheme that allowed the provider to alternate between them so the woofers could thermally recover.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2021, 11:32:06 AM »

Overall system tuning optimization doesn't really "affect" power compression.  Having things setup well will limit the effects of power compression.

Don't lose any sleep over power compression - read through the thread a time or two and maybe search for information.
Aha, I read that wrong the first time.

I only really think about it when sizing amplifiers or for long events, especially when there is someone else at the wheel.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N975F met Tapatalk

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2021, 04:22:18 PM »

I recall an EDM even (I think Fowler may have been involved) where there were duplicate banks of subs and a switching scheme that allowed the provider to alternate between them so the woofers could thermally recover.

It wasn't me. 

2x subs for EDM, bingo.  It also depends on EDM type, Skrillex/Bassnectar style will be more demanding than house or techno.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2021, 05:17:29 PM »

It wasn't me. 

2x subs for EDM, bingo.  It also depends on EDM type, Skrillex/Bassnectar style will be more demanding than house or techno.
Exactly - double down and set them up where they don't fry - run 'em all, all the time.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 05:20:47 PM by Steve-White »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2021, 05:17:29 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.