ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AD antenna warning  (Read 746 times)

Brad Harris

AD antenna warning
« on: October 06, 2021, 02:15:36 PM »

Had an interesting one last week at a festival...

B antenna on a rack of Axient Digital and UA870 Antennas.... There was a warning on the front panel only, saying something to the affect of "Power Limit on Antenna B"

Nothing on WWB6. Found a resource menu that displayed the mA draw of each antenna.... ~50mA draw on the A side, ~57mA draw on the B side.

I was having issues with the reception of the B side (compared to the A Side) ... The Joys of 2 full trailers worth of video wall.

Changed antennas (other 870 and whips) and cables a few times (admittedly, didn't initially "Swap" antennas to find out if it was the antenna, or the initial RF input.... "2nd" day back at work :P ) with the same results (reception... the whip doesn't draw any power)

Thoughts?

Brad

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: AD antenna warning
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 02:34:53 PM »

{...} Thoughts? {...}

From a purely electronics standpoint, if signal is lower than expected and bias voltage current ("voltage current" may be the most jargonistic thing I've typed in a while) is higher than expected, it sounds to me like you've got a signal-to-ground leak somewhere. Normally I'd have suspected a bad cable, but if you've swapped all the cables and you're still seeing the same problem, then if it were me my next step would (unfortunately) be to take a good hard look at the RX itself (which would almost certainly require knowledge that is well above my pay grade).

-Russ

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 03:16:19 PM »

Check for debris in the BNC connectors on the AD4Q and any other inline connectors/adapters. Swap ALL coax jumpers inline prior to the antenna coax (since you stated you changed antenna coax).
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Bryan Jozwiak

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 08:18:27 AM »

If you have too much RF power you will get a "RF Power Limiter on Ant B" warning. This is indicating you have a strong RF signal that is overloading the receiver. Check for RF sources near the antennas or reduce the gain in your Antenna. Watch out for Two Way radios as these put out a lot of RF power and can overload the RX if they are close to the antennas.

The Bias current you found on the Menu looks ok to me. You can draw up to 150ma per antenna if I remember correctly.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 10:54:48 AM »

I had a ULXD dual or quad receiver that had a similar problem.  The culprit turned out to be the cable between the circuit board and the back panel connector.  Easy fix, except that I had to buy the whole bottom half sheet metal assembly just to get the cable.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 12:06:10 PM »

Check for debris in the BNC connectors on the AD4Q and any other inline connectors/adapters. Swap ALL coax jumpers inline prior to the antenna coax (since you stated you changed antenna coax).

+1 here for the initial diagnostic after cable/antenna swap.  Clean with aerosol type cleaner to ensure everything is ship shape.  Basic process of elimination.

Brad Harris

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 02:56:46 PM »

Well to follow up....

I happened to be in the same country, and city as the gear the other day.... so of course, set it all up again (same hardware and cabling)... and guess what?

I couldn't recreate the issues I was having :S

Oh well.... at least this thread has shown me a few new things!

Brad

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 02:56:46 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.