ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC K.2 New firmware experiences  (Read 1762 times)

Jim McKeveny

QSC K.2 New firmware experiences
« on: October 04, 2021, 10:00:09 AM »

M.L. Procise (RIP) "Bad sound beats NO sound, every time" 

My experience with lots of original K Series (different vendors w/different use profiles) has been without incident. They are what they are sonic-wise, but do not fail in use. (@ turn-on typically). A client is about to pull the trigger on 24 K10.2..and now we see a firmware issue that can interrupt performance. Brakes on PO!!

Anyone have real-world experience with this ? 

Jim McKeveny

Re: QSC K.2 New firmware experiences
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 09:39:42 AM »

M.L. Procise (RIP) "Bad sound beats NO sound, every time" 

My experience with lots of original K Series (different vendors w/different use profiles) has been without incident. They are what they are sonic-wise, but do not fail in use. (@ turn-on typically). A client is about to pull the trigger on 24 K10.2..and now we see a firmware issue that can interrupt performance. Brakes on PO!!

Anyone have real-world experience with this ?

The lack of responses on this forum tells me the issue is overblown on other sites. I trust PSW. Thanks to all viewers.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 03:48:44 PM »

I myself have never seen or heard of that issue with QSC. Aside from my personal opinion of their performance and sound quality, they have always worked. The bad sound is better than no sound moniker would prevail in that case. That being said, I have not seen an issue with firmware failures from ANY other maker as well. That isn't to say it has not happened with either brand, but with self-powered, it is a risk you take. I would take the other site's warnings as a grain of salt. While not likely, it is possible.

Knowing that the failure rate that most brands accept is around 1-2%, the probability that you acquire a dud is pretty low. But with a large enough pool of the same product, you can always end up with a dud. 

I have an L'Acoustics rig in my shop. I also have a certified welder on my team. He took a look at some of the welds on the bump bars and very quickly said that he would reject every single one of them if it was his shop turning that product out. With the safety factor and the testing that went into the product, I have no worries that they will hold a few hundred pounds in the sky, but admittedly, the welds do look pretty sloppy. This coming from a class A company even! Will they ever fail? Highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 04:12:23 PM »

The lack of responses on this forum tells me the issue is overblown on other sites. I trust PSW. Thanks to all viewers.

If you haven't read it, here's the PSW thread discussing the matter.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,176062.0/all.html

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 09:51:07 AM »

Can't really comment on the newer QSC stuff, but acknowledge that there have been people that have experienced problems with the newer speakers.  I can tell you that my K and KW series speakers have been bomb proof.  I never really understood why some here have a thing for QSC.  I run them with my MIdas M32R board and when I go out front before sound check and EQ the FOH, I think they sound stellar.  Dollar for dollar they are hard to beat. 

Just got back from Nashville and I would say that close to half the bars on Broadway are using QSC products, the other half JBL.  Can't say I saw any Yamaha stuff?  Maybe an occasional bar with something else.  Hard to say that the QSC stuff did not hold its own.  I acknowledge there are much better sounding speakers out there, I am speaking at the price point of their K series stuff.  MHO and maybe a bit of soapbox!  LOL

Bob Stone

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 10:28:48 AM »

Can't really comment on the newer QSC stuff, but acknowledge that there have been people that have experienced problems with the newer speakers.  I can tell you that my K and KW series speakers have been bomb proof.  I never really understood why some here have a thing for QSC.  I run them with my MIdas M32R board and when I go out front before sound check and EQ the FOH, I think they sound stellar.  Dollar for dollar they are hard to beat. 

Just got back from Nashville and I would say that close to half the bars on Broadway are using QSC products, the other half JBL.  Can't say I saw any Yamaha stuff?  Maybe an occasional bar with something else.  Hard to say that the QSC stuff did not hold its own.  I acknowledge there are much better sounding speakers out there, I am speaking at the price point of their K series stuff.  MHO and maybe a bit of soapbox!  LOL

+1 to this...this forum has strange obsessions with specific pieces of gear and sensationalize it saying stuff like "wipes the floor" or "blows away" when it's a barely perceivable difference. Don't buy into forum hype blindly.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 11:35:45 AM »

I can tell you that my K and KW series speakers have been bomb proof. 

That has been my experience from when I was a QSC dealer/installer from '96 to 0x's. Solid attention and genuine concern. This internet unqualified YELP thing is unfortunate. My apologies to QSC.

OT- Wasn't Mark Engebretsen involved with the original K development? Products with his imprint have been winners..
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:40:28 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Paul Miller

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 11:37:00 AM »

A few months ago I purchased two K10.2 speakers with the latest firmware. Over a period of two weekends, both would repeatedly go into Protect Mode 4, even at moderate volume levels. I returned them as they were unusable for their intended application, or any conceivable application, for that matter. I replaced them with JBL EON 610s, which have performed perfectly fine thus far.

I have a venue with nine K10.2 installed, purchased in the fall of 2019, still running the previous firmware. None of them have ever shut off or failed in any way. This is a DJ dance club playing current hip hop and EDM music, and they are run hard three nights a week.

So yes, within my somewhat limited experience, it's definitely a thing.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 11:37:00 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.