ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser mke600 - anyone using this for live recording of shows  (Read 5232 times)

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
Re: Sennheiser mke600 - anyone using this for live recording of shows
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2021, 01:18:47 AM »

If the recorder was compressing/limiting too much, perhaps the record level was too high. At this stage of the process you need to leave plenty of headroom.

I use a Zoom H5. That allows me to capture a direct feed from the board along with the mics. The mics alone tend to sound too "roomy." The direct feed alone tends to be missing amps and drums. If the recorder is back in the room then there's a bit of delay in the sound getting to the mics, which can be fixed in post.

I think you will have to choose between good and easy. Good is going to require more time and effort.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2021, 10:12:15 AM »

Bob - check the settings on your Tascam. On my Zoom H2, it will apply compression automatically unless I turn it off and change recording to 24/48. As Patrick also mentioned, gain level may be too high. Good luck on this.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2021, 01:12:04 PM »

In handheld recorders headphone outputs are intended to check the recorded signal for major problems not to check the final sound quality or feed an external recorder. The headphone out sound quality is often much noisier and audibly worse than the recorded sound quality.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2021, 04:22:50 PM »

If the recorder was compressing/limiting too much, perhaps the record level was too high. At this stage of the process you need to leave plenty of headroom.

I use a Zoom H5. That allows me to capture a direct feed from the board along with the mics. The mics alone tend to sound too "roomy." The direct feed alone tends to be missing amps and drums. If the recorder is back in the room then there's a bit of delay in the sound getting to the mics, which can be fixed in post.

I think you will have to choose between good and easy. Good is going to require more time and effort.
Thanks.  I thought the levels were too high as well, however, the recorder was always about -12db to -9db most of the time (even during many of the peaks).  The recorder has a "peak" light on it, but it never illuminated.  I kept the "input" level of the recorder low (through the recorder's controls), just so no compression (at least heavy compression) would take place.

I may need to upgrade the recorder.  I don't think the DR-07 mkII is meant for high SPL.  I'll put an H5 on my list of possible replacements.

Bob - check the settings on your Tascam. On my Zoom H2, it will apply compression automatically unless I turn it off and change recording to 24/48. As Patrick also mentioned, gain level may be too high. Good luck on this.
Looks like the recorder has a default compression (something that can't be changed).  I'll take a look at the H2 as well. 

In handheld recorders headphone outputs are intended to check the recorded signal for major problems not to check the final sound quality or feed an external recorder. The headphone out sound quality is often much noisier and audibly worse than the recorded sound quality.

Good point.  I checked the DR-07.  The output shows head-phone and line-out for the output.  I've never noticed it noisy or bad... however, I don't have another recorder to compare it to.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2021, 06:03:51 PM »

Thanks.  I thought the levels were too high as well, however, the recorder was always about -12db to -9db most of the time (even during many of the peaks).  The recorder has a "peak" light on it, but it never illuminated.  I kept the "input" level of the recorder low (through the recorder's controls), just so no compression (at least heavy compression) would take place.

I may need to upgrade the recorder.  I don't think the DR-07 mkII is meant for high SPL.  I'll put an H5 on my list of possible replacements.
Looks like the recorder has a default compression (something that can't be changed).  I'll take a look at the H2 as well. 
Good point.  I checked the DR-07.  The output shows head-phone and line-out for the output.  I've never noticed it noisy or bad... however, I don't have another recorder to compare it to.

What I learned from my Zoom H2 and H4N... if you use the XLR inputs you can overload the input preamps.  It looks like the record level is set AFTER the pre, so try turning down the analog level to the recorder.  You can experiment with recordings that have some peaks as your source...

For driving the Big PA and recording to the Zoom units I had to set the rec output level in the matrix to -30dB ish to avoid recorder input saturation.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2021, 09:08:48 PM »

What I learned from my Zoom H2 and H4N... if you use the XLR inputs you can overload the input preamps.  It looks like the record level is set AFTER the pre, so try turning down the analog level to the recorder.  You can experiment with recordings that have some peaks as your source...

For driving the Big PA and recording to the Zoom units I had to set the rec output level in the matrix to -30dB ish to avoid recorder input saturation.
Sounds good.  Thanks for the Zoom info.

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2021, 01:34:19 AM »

What I learned from my Zoom H2 and H4N... if you use the XLR inputs you can overload the input preamps.

I believe the TRS connectors of the H4n combo inputs have lower sensitivity than the XLRs. A pair of XLR-TRS adapters solves the overloading problem. I don't know about the H2.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2021, 01:34:19 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.