ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Downsizing - ideas for new smaller system  (Read 9222 times)

Thomas Le

Re: Downsizing - ideas for new smaller system
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2021, 10:03:32 AM »

Curious, How's the bass? I have the PRX710's and the bass is somewhat lacking.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2021, 08:09:56 PM »

Curious, How's the bass? I have the PRX710's and the bass is somewhat lacking.

I actually sold my PRX710s and these replace them in my stock.  Bass levels are about the same, which is to say - not much happening under 100Hz.  I bought these to use as a vocals only PA for small shows or with subs for bigger stuff.  You can get a little more bump with the contour settings and EQ, but they are not ever going to give you much bottom. 

Oh. They're 39.5 lbs.  How easy are they to throw up on a tripod or pole-mount over a sub with their bottom about forehead (5-1/2 to 6ft) high
 ...and to lift off afterward?

Very manageable and no problem at all to move about.  I put them on a stand head-high in my testing space when I got them and had zero trouble.  They are heavier than the DXR10 I had in the past, but are not hard to lift and tote.

Now, just waiting on the covers to get in stock so I can order a set. 

Scott Bolt

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2021, 03:24:54 PM »

OMG, these DRZ10s sound amazing!  Some of the cleanest audio I have heard from a speaker in this class.

First impressions:
- For a 10 inch cab, they are a tad larger and heavier than one might expect; they are close to my PRX612s in weight.
- Handles on top and side, so easy to handle.  Regular and tilted pole cup on bottom.
- They sound dramatically better than my PRX cabs.  Cannot test for volume here in the house.
- Very clean and tidy grill and overall appearance.
- Digital back panel is easy to use and analog controls are set up in a way that minimizes accidentally changing things.
- Locking IEC cables were included.

So far, color me impressed.  Hopefully, I will get to them out in December for some field testing.
I really really wanted to love the PRX 612m's since I have the PRX subs, and the PRX 612's are sooooo light and easy to carry and put on poles .... but alas.... as you say, the Yamaha's (DSR112's in my case) were audibly better in sound quality to my ears.

I am glad you are pleased with the DZR10's.  I really do believe they are one of the best powered speaker options out there today along with the SRX line.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2021, 10:58:31 PM »

Now, just waiting on the covers to get in stock so I can order a set.

Oh, and you’re gonna love the covers. Super practical with a side pocket for the power cord and fronts that zip up and down so you can use them with the covers on. ***Mine have never been out of the covers***
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2021, 12:31:38 AM »

Oh, and you’re gonna love the covers. Super practical with a side pocket for the power cord and fronts that zip up and down so you can use them with the covers on. ***Mine have never been out of the covers***

Even my lowly DBR=12 came with the way-cool Yamaha covers!  "Weather proof"? No, but the little pop up 'tent' over the amp bucket means I don't worry about accumulation of drizzle.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2021, 11:46:15 AM »

Final update and after action report.  Took my new DZR10s out for their first show last night.  This was a Jazz/Swing sextet that I play bass for when their regular guy cannot make it.  This was in a semi-outdoor venue; large open-air roofed area with secondary seating in the open nearby.  This venue keeps a lid on volume due to complaints from a nearby neighbor.  I estimate 200+ in attendance but we have had as many as 300 in some previous shows.  Their usual PA is what is a Yamaha mixer and the speakers I have listed below on monitor duty.

Setup:
- Mixer - A&H Zed 12FX; 2 x vox (Shure 55sh, Shure PG58), 1 x sax (wireless of some sort), 1 x trumpet (Pro35?), 1 x trombone (Pro35?)
- Mains - 2 X DZR10; hi-pass at 70Hz internally, no other EQ or processing
- Mons - Presonus Air12 (horn monitor), JBL EON 10 (guitar vox), and the main singer had some little hot spot thing her mic went through primarily to generate feedback, it would seem.
- Bump music through main PA between sets.
- Guitar and Bass not in the PA

Overall impressions and thoughts:
- The clarity on the DZRs is simply stunning.  They sound like the loudest studio monitors you can imagine.
- The DZRs get stupid loud.  No problems covering the venue last night.  Feed them a clean hot signal and they will reward you with sound that is LOUD and CLEAN at the same time.  Our bandleader stepped out front during the show and was stunned.
- The DZR covers are amazing, as noted above.  If you have any weather concerns, just leave the speakers in the bag and use the little tent on the back to protect the electronics.
- The original A&H Zed mixers have been and still are my favorite small to mid frame analog mixers.  They sound great and the EFX actually sound nice.
- Mike Pyle is a good dude who will do his best to give you a good deal and take care of fellow LABsters.  It was cheaper to get these cabs and covers from him and have them shipped from CA than any other place I found.  No fancy web site, just send an email or call him.  I will be doing much more business with him going forward.

Sorry, no pics.  I was busy playing bass during the show, which went well indeed.  Lots of folks dancing, nothing got broken, band get fed and paid, and we all went home happy and safe.  I call that a success.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2021, 07:55:51 PM »

Glad we steered you in a good direction ;).

Enjoy your rig.  I am always amazed at the clarity of the DSR and DZR tops.  Sounds like things went well!

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2021, 06:03:59 AM »

So, long story short, my days of doing sound on a large scale are coming to an end.  While I have had some fun running sound for everything from local bands to Bands You Have Heard Of, my heart is not in it any more and I am selling off a large portion of my sound gear.  Most of my PRX gear (tops and subs) is going to a new home this weekend, with a lot of mics, the second X32, and related gear to follow soon.  My plan is to downsize to a smaller system that I can use for shows for bands I am in or the odd dance-related DJ gig.  The PRX gear did a yeoman's job for me for years, but, honestly, lugging around 100lb subs is not something I want to do much of anymore.  My plan is to keep the X32 rack for my mixing needs and keep 4 12" PRX speakers for monitors.  Most of my anticipated PA needs going forward will be with Jazz and Swing bands where quality trumps volume and ballroom dance events where I am DJing.  Light weight and great sound quality are my top priorities.  Most certainly want the new system to sound significantly better than the 7 series PRX stuff.  I am in no rush, so I am doing my due diligence now so I can buy once and cry once.  So, what are some systems you might recommend to suit my needs? Budget ~$3k, maybe more.  I am in FL.  Self-powered preferred, but I know some of the big-boy boxes require you use their amps.  I wish I was in the Danley budget range, but that is likely out of my reach.  Used is fine. 

Some systems I am going to be checking out when I can:
- RCF Evox 12
- Found an decent deal on a Next PS10/L550 rig complete here in FL I may check out.  Would be turnkey rig with high sound quality.  Just not sure I want to haul around the Gen1 PS10 power amp.

Thanks!

These look interesting.  In case you want to go even smaller in the future. Haven't seen the pricing yet.

https://www.rcf.it/tt-515-808?fbclid=IwAR2cJQq8S2-p6jjOR5UaAgr1SsaWjorGJjDOMYTiS8hf66oKSoKa1ZcUx-o

Douglas R. Allen
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 06:06:48 AM by Douglas R. Allen »

Dan Whitney

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2021, 12:53:19 PM »

- Mike Pyle is a good dude who will do his best to give you a good deal and take care of fellow LABsters.  It was cheaper to get these cabs and covers from him and have them shipped from CA than any other place I found.  No fancy web site, just send an email or call him.  I will be doing much more business with him going forward.

I couldn't agree more.  He hooked me up with some DSR112s.  Once shipping and supply chains return to "normal" I plan to see what he can offer me with powered subs.  Great to hear you are enjoying the DZRs.
I coalesce the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2021, 01:05:46 PM »

These look interesting.  In case you want to go even smaller in the future. Haven't seen the pricing yet.

https://www.rcf.it/tt-515-808?fbclid=IwAR2cJQq8S2-p6jjOR5UaAgr1SsaWjorGJjDOMYTiS8hf66oKSoKa1ZcUx-o

Douglas R. Allen

Advertized pricing in Europe is around 5000 euro excl. VAT for 2 tops and 2 subs, which will probably be $7000 by the time it gets to the USA.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2021, 01:05:46 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.