ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Downsizing - ideas for new smaller system  (Read 9223 times)

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
Re: Downsizing - ideas for new smaller system
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2021, 11:04:04 PM »

Is the budget 3k total for tops and subs, or just tops?

That is a rough budget.  If I went with a sub and stick setup, would like to be closer to that mark.  Obviously, if I went up market, might have to spend $3k just for tops and add subs later.  Still trying to see what is out there that will meet my needs.   Whichever way I go, definitely want to be a step up quality wise from the PRX stuff.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2021, 11:51:28 PM »

That is a rough budget.  If I went with a sub and stick setup, would like to be closer to that mark.  Obviously, if I went up market, might have to spend $3k just for tops and add subs later.  Still trying to see what is out there that will meet my needs.   Whichever way I go, definitely want to be a step up quality wise from the PRX stuff.

Small and not suck - higher cost
Sound good - higher cost
Loud enough for small bands - higher cost. 

Why paint yourself into a budget corner limited to cheap MI boxes? 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2021, 09:59:26 AM »

Small and not suck - higher cost
Sound good - higher cost
Loud enough for small bands - higher cost. 

Why paint yourself into a budget corner limited to cheap MI boxes?

Like I said, the budget can grow if needed.  The $3k is a soft figure; I will have more $ for this once I sell off more unnecessary gear.  Yes, I know quality costs more.  MI boxes are what I am trying to get away from.  This thread is mostly about finding some systems to investigate and audition.  That said, if $ were no object, the Meyer X40/750 power couple rig would probably be dynamite for my needs, but $20k is a little pricey for me.   8)

Thanks, everyone.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2021, 10:35:57 AM »

Like I said, the budget can grow if needed.  The $3k is a soft figure; I will have more $ for this once I sell off more unnecessary gear.  Yes, I know quality costs more.  MI boxes are what I am trying to get away from.  This thread is mostly about finding some systems to investigate and audition.  That said, if $ were no object, the Meyer X40/750 power couple rig would probably be dynamite for my needs, but $20k is a little pricey for me.   8)

Thanks, everyone.

If the UPA-1P has enough SPL for you, it's still a good speaker and can be found within budget.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2021, 11:37:24 AM »

If the UPA-1P has enough SPL for you, it's still a good speaker and can be found within budget.

Indeed, I have found a few of those and they will nicely fit my budget used and the output is acceptable.  My only concern on those is the weight - 77 pounds!  While sonically it be a step up, not sure I want to put 77 pound boxes up on stands very often.  These are on the list, though.

Thanks!

Greg Harwood

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2021, 01:19:25 PM »

My little system is pretty potent.  I have DSR112 over Captivator 212 Pro.  Gets pretty loud and sounds good.
Greg H.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2021, 02:46:34 PM »

If you want the system to be brand consistent, I'm thinking the optimum for new gear that would not totally bust your budget would be a pair of DZR10 or DZR12 tops and a single DXS15XLF sub.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Rick Powell

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2021, 05:28:50 PM »

If you want the system to be brand consistent, I'm thinking the optimum for new gear that would not totally bust your budget would be a pair of DZR10 or DZR12 tops and a single DXS15XLF sub.

Yep, this combo would be within earshot of the budget, great sound quality for the price, and the weight would be 88 lbs. for the sub and 40-47 lbs. for the tops. You could swap out a single JTR Captivator 212 for the DXS and lose 20 lbs in weight but gain $900 in cost for the powered version, and they wouldn't go as low but likely just as loud if you don't need "infra sub" range.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2021, 08:10:32 PM »

The UPA's at 77 lbs are just too heavy IMO.  Love love love the way they sound, but man .... can you imagine trying to put those up on poles and lug them up stairs?  Ugg.

I like the DZR10 over DXS15 idea.  Definitely a step up from where you are with the PRX and covered by a 7 year warranty.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2021, 09:31:51 PM »

The UPA's at 77 lbs are just too heavy IMO.  Love love love the way they sound, but man .... can you imagine trying to put those up on poles and lug them up stairs?  Ugg.

I like the DZR10 over DXS15 idea.  Definitely a step up from where you are with the PRX and covered by a 7 year warranty.

Budget be damned I would get 4 JTS 212's .  JTS tops at 40lbs would be great too but they are very expensive.  The subs could go 2 to a wheelboard with a main strapped on top.  Wedges would be Coaxial 12's four to a board then a small rack with mixer UPS stage three drawers for mics and misc.  Then one trunk just long enough for mic stands would carry stands, cable, power and two light trees.  Light stands will have to ride on top ..

That's a system you could tow with a car or SUV, carry a ramp and it's a super easy made for one man rig.  My retirement rig, keeps evolving.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2021, 09:31:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.