ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Downsizing - ideas for new smaller system  (Read 9238 times)

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
Downsizing - ideas for new smaller system
« on: October 01, 2021, 03:02:03 PM »

So, long story short, my days of doing sound on a large scale are coming to an end.  While I have had some fun running sound for everything from local bands to Bands You Have Heard Of, my heart is not in it any more and I am selling off a large portion of my sound gear.  Most of my PRX gear (tops and subs) is going to a new home this weekend, with a lot of mics, the second X32, and related gear to follow soon.  My plan is to downsize to a smaller system that I can use for shows for bands I am in or the odd dance-related DJ gig.  The PRX gear did a yeoman's job for me for years, but, honestly, lugging around 100lb subs is not something I want to do much of anymore.  My plan is to keep the X32 rack for my mixing needs and keep 4 12" PRX speakers for monitors.  Most of my anticipated PA needs going forward will be with Jazz and Swing bands where quality trumps volume and ballroom dance events where I am DJing.  Light weight and great sound quality are my top priorities.  Most certainly want the new system to sound significantly better than the 7 series PRX stuff.  I am in no rush, so I am doing my due diligence now so I can buy once and cry once.  So, what are some systems you might recommend to suit my needs? Budget ~$3k, maybe more.  I am in FL.  Self-powered preferred, but I know some of the big-boy boxes require you use their amps.  I wish I was in the Danley budget range, but that is likely out of my reach.  Used is fine. 

Some systems I am going to be checking out when I can:
- RCF Evox 12
- Found an decent deal on a Next PS10/L550 rig complete here in FL I may check out.  Would be turnkey rig with high sound quality.  Just not sure I want to haul around the Gen1 PS10 power amp.

Thanks!

Mal Brown

Re: Downsizing - ideas for new smaller system
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 03:11:12 PM »

around 3k is going to be a tall order IMO.

As far as tops go, Db Tech IGt-3's will suck up most of your budget and for dj, you'd want subs...

I just sprang for Yamaha DZr -315's - again, going to devour your budget and 90lbs a box...

I have Yam DSR-112's and over QSC powered 18's they sound good.  Used and not thrashed those will probably eat $1500 a side...

The DZR-12's are supposedly marginally better.  Scot Holtzman might have some insight there.

I personally can't see running without subs when you say DJ... Your Mileage May Vary...

Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Robert Healey

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 03:30:45 PM »

It looks like you can get a used pair of Meyer UPJ's for ~$4k.

If you are just DJing ballroom dance you may not need a sub - but you might miss it for the swing bands.

Nate Zifra

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 03:34:41 PM »

Maybe dBTech ES 1203? Definitely lightweight, and give you several options as far as setup.  You could always add another set for more power if you decided you needed more.

https://www.dbtechnologies.com/en/products/es/es-1203/

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 03:46:47 PM »

I am very close to being in your situation and my thought is: Buy the Danley TH118 subs (I have 12), they’re not that hard to move around with wheels and handles and tilting. I think I will keep them until I die along with my Fulcrum fa22ac. It’s a *killer* system in a relatively small package. Once you get used to them you won’t want to compromise for size reasons.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

John Schalk

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 05:50:57 PM »

I am very close to being in your situation and my thought is: Buy the Danley TH118 subs (I have 12), they’re not that hard to move around with wheels and handles and tilting. I think I will keep them until I die along with my Fulcrum fa22ac. It’s a *killer* system in a relatively small package. Once you get used to them you won’t want to compromise for size reasons.
Robert, what is your opinion on the ratio of TH118s to FA22s?  Is one top over two subs per side about right, or does it take more?  I have DX1295s, so not quite as good as your FA22s, but they have pretty similar output, I believe.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 05:56:09 PM »

Regrettably, unless I find an amazing deal, Danley and Fulcrum are likely out of reach.  Now, some used powered Meyers....hmm, worth looking into.  I also would not mind it if I stumbled onto some db IG4Ts somewhere on the cheap.  Looks like some of the RCF TT series might be in reach if I find them used.

Thanks and keep the ideas coming, folks.  I plan to research and test drive as much as I can before pulling the trigger on a new system.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 06:01:52 PM »

I have a smaller system that I've been using the past year... 2 x RCF NX-45A tops with a single RCF 8004-AS sub.  All cabinets are powered.  Rather light-weight and very portable.

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 09:30:01 PM »

Light weight and great sound quality are my top priorities.  Most certainly want the new system to sound significantly better than the 7 series PRX stuff.  I am in no rush, so I am doing my due diligence now so I can buy once and cry once.  So, what are some systems you might recommend to suit my needs? Budget ~$3k, maybe more.

Is the budget 3k total for tops and subs, or just tops?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 10:54:49 PM »

Before I saw the 3k price limit I was going to say I love my TH118/SM100/DNA20K4 combo.

I get that a conical pattern is not best, and it's not true synergy, and the FA22 is probably better, and the box shape/weight, bla bla bla who cares. I love it.

It sounds amazing and can do 650 person theaters easily with bassy dance music.
Add two more subs for EDM and you're golden.

Friend of mine has the system out right now and everyone is raving about how good they sound.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 10:54:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.