ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rider friendly wedges...  (Read 6072 times)

Nathan Ochoa

Rider friendly wedges...
« on: September 29, 2021, 05:39:19 PM »

If there was one magical wedge that could fulfill every rider that could possibly come through the docks of 2,900 seat national theater, what box would it be? I'm currently close to pulling the trigger on the L'Acoustics x15 hiq boxes, but that's mostly because I'm familiar with them, and I've never had anyone turn their nose up to them. I'm also very easily amused, and the kick stands tickle the s**t outta me... However, I know there are a lot more options out there that I am not experienced with, and I'd really like to broaden my outlook a little and hear what others think on the topic.
So, back to the first sentence...what is the one wedge you all think could fulfill most riders that we will hopefully be seeing more of soon.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Rider friendly wedges...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 06:07:13 PM »

If there was one magical wedge that could fulfill every rider that could possibly come through the docks of 2,900 seat national theater, what box would it be? I'm currently close to pulling the trigger on the L'Acoustics x15 hiq boxes, but that's mostly because I'm familiar with them, and I've never had anyone turn their nose up to them. I'm also very easily amused, and the kick stands tickle the s**t outta me... However, I know there are a lot more options out there that I am not experienced with, and I'd really like to broaden my outlook a little and hear what others think on the topic.
So, back to the first sentence...what is the one wedge you all think could fulfill most riders that we will hopefully be seeing more of soon.

d&b M4

Admittedly I'm a d&b fanboy, but still. The M4 is just a great all around workhorse. I can't imagine a band that's using wedges turning their nose up at M4s.

You can also turn around and use them as stick speakers for that weird outdoor one off fundraiser that the boss makes you do even though you really don't feel like doing it. so there's that.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 06:31:57 PM »

This is the answer. Sure there are other first class stage monitors that plenty of touring acts will accept and most are based on the same or very similar coax drivers ( L'Acoustic & Martin to be sure ) but the M4s are the boxes that those bands and their engineers really want you to bring. 

d&b M4

Peter Morris

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 07:44:17 PM »

There are just 2 that top the rider list - the M4 and X15Hiq.

I recently tested a bunch of wedges ... FWIW;

- The M4 was very good but not amazing, but its been around for quite a while and B&C have made some improvements to their driver designs.
- Clair 1AM's; fantastic.
- L'Acoustic's X12 & X15hiq. The X12 was a beautiful general purposed speaker but the X15hiq was a better as a dedicated wedge; one of the best.
- Nexo P15, a great flexible design, so easy to change the horn pattern, great size and weight but didn't like the voicing at all. It uses what looks like the same B&C driver as the Hiq.  I tried doing our own 2 way setting and could get some great results but that's not the product you would be buying. 
- I suspect the new Martin stuff would be great, but there was not an opportunity to try them.
- Adamson M12's; didn't like the factory passive settings but the active settings were very good ... so we tried some of our own settings and they were amazing, one of the best we tested. There is something special about the Kevlar cones they use. Very clear and loud.
- We also compared everything to our existing Turbosound TMW115's and TMW112's.  These were before Uli and use a very similar driver B&C to the M4; they compared very well but the Behringer association is not good.
- would have loved to be able to try the new Fulcrum cardioid FW15 wedge and dB Technologies new VIO W15T wedge.

I also considered a few other factors; what pattern do you want for a wedge and are coaxial designs better.  The conclusion I came to is you want a relatively hi Q or narrow pattern for dedicated wedge applications.  Some wedges like the X12 have a wide pattern making it a great general purpose speaker, but X15hiq with its narrower pattern was better for wedge only applications.  I also noted that most singers and engineers wanted to have 2 wedges, the coaxial designs produced more noticeable combe filtering when compared to the old standard speaker and horn with horn on the outside.  The conclusion I came to considering people seem two wedges, the microphone maybe in a fixed position or the singer may be every where needing side fill and addition wedges ... being coaxial or standard design probably does not matter.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 08:28:41 PM by Peter Morris »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 07:14:09 PM »

Jumping on the bandwagon.
d&b M4. They're also ridiculously light for what they do. It's like some sort of sorcery going on there.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 08:16:32 AM »

Both the D&B and the L'Acoustics wedges are terrific products. Beware however, they aren't just floor monitors. They are a gateway to an ecosystem.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 11:23:34 AM »

Both the D&B and the L'Acoustics wedges are terrific products. Beware however, they aren't just floor monitors. They are a gateway to an ecosystem.Drug

Fixed it for you. :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Matthias McCready

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 01:04:47 PM »

Fixed it for you. :)

You know what they say... "don't get high on your own supply."  ;) ;D ;D
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 03:47:39 PM »

You know what they say... "don't get high on your own supply."  ;) ;D ;D
That's what the LPF is for.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 05:32:23 PM »

What are the top contenders for self powered wedges?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 05:32:23 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.