ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Channels Benefit from Better PreAmps  (Read 8096 times)

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
Re: Which Channels Benefit from Better PreAmps
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 05:50:18 AM »

I've got an X32 and a M32. I think there could be a difference between the preamps - on recordings. The trouble is I've never done a direct comparison. I use the M32 for recording classical stuff in nice sounding venues and with nice mics, I'm happy with the sound. I just suspect I'd be happy if I'd used an X32. In the studio here or on live PA shows, the mics are the prime 'quality' change you can make, by just using the right one - whatever the 'right one' actually means. Right mic, right place is my rule because that makes real differences. People say you can hear the difference between M32 and X32, but I suspect that's such a small difference, I'll not hold my breath.

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2021, 07:13:39 AM »

The only time I can honestly say I hear the difference is an X32 is when its going into a large PA where you can hear the cheapness in the processing/DSP at volume... but I've never attributed that to the preamp.

Its a trap fixating on getting different speakers, subs, preamps, off stage gear things while kinda ignoring fundamentals that if attended to could make our shows more impactful.  Focus on all the stuff before and after the preamp and you'll realize noticeable improvements with what you have.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 10:54:20 AM »

The only time I can honestly say I hear the difference is an X32 is when its going into a large PA where you can hear the cheapness in the processing/DSP at volume... but I've never attributed that to the preamp.

Its a trap fixating on getting different speakers, subs, preamps, off stage gear things while kinda ignoring fundamentals that if attended to could make our shows more impactful.  Focus on all the stuff before and after the preamp and you'll realize noticeable improvements with what you have.

Exactly right. Most people wouldn't believe it but power delivery systems have more of an impact than the preamps do. You're better off buying a nice Power Distro and cabling than changing one console for the other.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2021, 11:00:26 AM »

{...} The trouble is I've never done a direct comparison. {...} People say you can hear the difference between M32 and X32, but I suspect that's such a small difference, I'll not hold my breath.

The recordings I linked to in my first post are interesting, although certain not mind-blowing (he also did a similar comparison between the "Bidas" preamps in an M32 and the Midas preamps in a DL-2-something-or-other which was even less mind-blowing, although again not "nulls to zero"). To my ears (on headphones) there were sufficient audible differences on some sources for me to develop a preference for one over the other. Certainly not something that's going to break a show, but the sort of thing that might make a (small) difference if all the fundamentals (mics, placement, P.A., power, etc.) have already been taken care of (especially in a live stream/recording situation).

My semi-educated understanding is that the audible differences between the two aren't just about the preamps themselves (although the Midas-oriented pres seem to act more gracefully when overloaded), but about the whole ADC signal/power chain (even though both use the same ADC chip).

-Russ

Mal Brown

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2021, 12:17:52 PM »

Best preamps go on the following:

Kick In
Kick Out
Kick Shell
Kick just inside the hole
Kick Far
Kick Beater
Kick Pedal (use a condensor to capture the squeak)
Kick Spur Left
Kick Spur Right
Kick Overhead Left
Kick Overhead Right
Kick Ribbon room mic

And the lead vocal. If you have a channel left over.

There you go. All the important channels of modern music.

I think this might have been cut straight from Jellybread's advance...

Kick Spur Left... jeeze now I gotta clean my keyboard.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 12:20:12 PM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2021, 01:44:54 PM »

I really like the "Kick Overhead Left & Right" - gotta capture it from every angle possible...

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2021, 02:17:18 PM »

The recordings I linked to in my first post are interesting, although certain not mind-blowing (he also did a similar comparison between the "Bidas" preamps in an M32 and the Midas preamps in a DL-2-something-or-other which was even less mind-blowing, although again not "nulls to zero"). To my ears (on headphones) there were sufficient audible differences on some sources for me to develop a preference for one over the other. Certainly not something that's going to break a show, but the sort of thing that might make a (small) difference if all the fundamentals (mics, placement, P.A., power, etc.) have already been taken care of (especially in a live stream/recording situation).

My semi-educated understanding is that the audible differences between the two aren't just about the preamps themselves (although the Midas-oriented pres seem to act more gracefully when overloaded), but about the whole ADC signal/power chain (even though both use the same ADC chip).

-Russ

This has been discussed before, IIRC the Midas preamp has a soft limiter built in so mix boys can overload the preamps without nasty clipping artifacts. In my judgement this is not better/worse, but different. That said the unwashed routinely think louder sounds better.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2021, 02:22:28 PM »

This has been discussed before, IIRC the Midas preamp has a soft limiter built in so mix boys can overload the preamps without nasty clipping artifacts. In my judgement this is not better/worse, but different. That said the unwashed routinely think louder sounds better.

JR
We all know that 11 is always better than 10, therefore 12 will certainly be better than 11...

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2021, 02:54:13 PM »

ALL channels matter !

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2021, 03:02:28 PM »

ALL channels matter !

Yep.  And familiarization with gear and how to use it to best obtain desired results is the goal.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2021, 03:02:28 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.