ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: TMB vs Pro-X EZ-Tilt  (Read 3569 times)

Simon Lewis

Re: TMB vs Pro-X EZ-Tilt
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 04:56:43 AM »

I had both the Midas and the TMB versions. Whilst the Midas is undeniably well built, it was harder to slide cases on the heavily lacquered frame, and the lacquer would start chipping and peeling quite easily. It was also pretty heavy.

The aluminium TMB stand was far easier to carry and pretty stable, as long as the leg 'bolts' are extended. Obviously, there's still a need for two or four to take off the lid, but having a dedicated stand does make life a little easier...

Mark Oakley

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2021, 10:55:27 AM »

I have a TMB for my iLive T-112 and it is well built and works great. I can carry it with one hand if needed. After 6 years the only wear & tear are the plastic end caps on the frame wearing through. Nothing that $5.00 won't fix.

-Mark
Oakley Audio

Al Rettich

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 04:42:31 PM »

I was given one as a gift for selling a bit of ProX gear. I sent it out on a local gig, up and down three times a week for seventeen weeks. Holding up a Profile. First off the wheels, are dangerous. Mid tip, they can send the desk forward. Other than that it's held up ok. Same issues as my TMB tilts. I can tell you that the TMB tilts are almost $1,000 which is quite a bit of money. I ended up taking the wheels off, and everyone is happy with it now.
I just got my first “big console” - SSL L200, and want to get an EZ-Tilt. There’s a lot of old threads, but TMB seems to still make them. Pro-x has one for a fraction of the cost.

https://www.proxdirect.com/products/view/EZ-Tilt-Lifting-Rolling-Stand-for-Audio-and-Lighting-Consoles-X-EZTILT

The big difference seems to be the ski legs on the TMB - better for sliding, if needed. 

Has anyone used the cheaper Pro-X?  Are there any others I should know about in 2021?

Thank you,

Nathanael

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2021, 05:30:02 PM »

I just intercepted one of those ProX stands today that was otherwise headed for the dump. I'm, not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I can tell you it is exceptionally cheap and flimsy.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2021, 08:59:05 PM »

I don’t even know how one would lift a cased L200 by oneself. It’s 463lbs, 5’ long and 4’ wide. The Ez-tilt isn’t about the number of people, but just pushing the easy button in this game of moving heavy objects without injury that we call live sound.  My son and I lifted it onto a stand in the studio without the top lid and it wasn’t horrid, but again, willing to pay for the easy button when it looks like I’ll have it “forever”.

I looked it up and the desk is 187 pounds, which I admit is more than I would have expected for what is, in my opinion, not that big a desk. But 463 in the case feels like a pretty big weight difference. What am I missing?

I will say that either way it's enough weight to justify an EX-tilt, but I'm old school enough to probably not bother getting one if it was me. But I cut my teeth on all the big analogs so my reference point is pretty skewed.

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2021, 09:20:54 PM »

I looked it up and the desk is 187 pounds, which I admit is more than I would have expected for what is, in my opinion, not that big a desk. But 463 in the case feels like a pretty big weight difference. What am I missing?

I will say that either way it's enough weight to justify an EX-tilt, but I'm old school enough to probably not bother getting one if it was me. But I cut my teeth on all the big analogs so my reference point is pretty skewed.

It's a little over half the weight of a 40ch PM4k and well under half the weight of a 48. I don't like mixing with the console in the tray so I would have 4 stagehands lift the console onto a couple of 25" tall case lids so I could sit comfortably. It's not much harder to store the lid with the tray still on it. If you have to mix from a riser I find a tilt stand a big PITA. There is no room to roll it and you have to lift the console anyway. Plus they wobble.

If your gig is rolling into an arena across a cement floor and mixing from the floor every night, the tilter makes sense.

Mac

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2021, 09:24:40 PM »

I just did the same.  That would leave 276 LBS for the case. He mentioned that it was a 4X5 case.  If made out of 3/4 plywood, the wood alone would be around 150lbs.  Add framing, mounting brackets, wheels, etc, and the 276lb number starts to come into the scope of reality.

That being said, having never seen the ProX in person, but just looking at the pictures and the specs, it has a maximum weight rating of 650lbs.  In the pictures, it's showing a case maybe 3'X4', significantly smaller than the intended use here.  That case and console is probably in the 200lb range.  Anything over that and I'd start to get a bit leery about using it.  It's kind of like hand trucks.  Yeah, some of the lightweight stuff may say it's rated for 600 lbs, but there's no way I'd ever try to move a 600 lb item with one of those!!!
Brian Jojade

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2021, 02:19:08 AM »

I just did the same.  That would leave 276 LBS for the case. He mentioned that it was a 4X5 case.  If made out of 3/4 plywood, the wood alone would be around 150lbs.  Add framing, mounting brackets, wheels, etc, and the 276lb number starts to come into the scope of reality.

That being said, having never seen the ProX in person, but just looking at the pictures and the specs, it has a maximum weight rating of 650lbs.  In the pictures, it's showing a case maybe 3'X4', significantly smaller than the intended use here.  That case and console is probably in the 200lb range.  Anything over that and I'd start to get a bit leery about using it.  It's kind of like hand trucks.  Yeah, some of the lightweight stuff may say it's rated for 600 lbs, but there's no way I'd ever try to move a 600 lb item with one of those!!!

My Pro6 console is 90kg by itself and 220kg in the original case.
Came with a Midas easy-tilt and I'm using it every time I can.
Total weight for the system is around 400kg with DSP/stage rack and a Midas case for the racks.

Bill Wood

• Sr. Member from old PSW Site
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2021, 04:44:31 PM »

Take a look at the OnStage ACT5000 stand
Bill Wood
Southern Ohio Sound
Liberty Township, Ohio 45044
[email protected]

Nathanael Iversen

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2021, 11:32:12 AM »

Take a look at the OnStage ACT5000 stand

Thank you!  I could find one of these and ordered.  Looks like a useful copy of the stand. Sized perfectly for my console.

More than ever, what one buys is significantly decided by what is actually available. If you can’t find it used, new is difficult in a surprising number of things right now. A dealer had one listed on Amazon of all places, though, so we’ll give it a go.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2021, 11:32:12 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.