Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

Best vocal mic for drummer

(1/3) > >>

Rich Orde:
I am playing Roland V-Drums, however, I use real hi-hat cymbals.  I use an acrylic shield in front of the hi-hat to block some of the sound from getting into the mics of the vocalists in front of me but my vocal mic does pick up some of the cymbals and I would like to try to minimize that.  I am currently using an SM-58 but wondering if there is a better mic that would reduce what is picked up from the sides of the mic.

Thanks for any suggestions. 

David Sturzenbecher:

--- Quote from: Rich Orde on September 26, 2021, 10:54:07 AM ---I am playing Roland V-Drums, however, I use real hi-hat cymbals.  I use an acrylic shield in front of the hi-hat to block some of the sound from getting into the mics of the vocalists in front of me but my vocal mic does pick up some of the cymbals and I would like to try to minimize that.  I am currently using an SM-58 but wondering if there is a better mic that would reduce what is picked up from the sides of the mic.

--- End quote ---

Audix OM7 has a real tight pickup pattern.

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: David Sturzenbecher on September 26, 2021, 12:14:54 PM ---Audix OM7 has a real tight pickup pattern.

--- End quote ---
+1 
Super- or hyper-cardiod mic, carefully aimed so the hat is in the null.
Low pass out as much of the hat as possible until it affects your vocal, then back off a smidge.
On-off switch for when you aren't singing?

Steve Crump:

--- Quote from: Rich Orde on September 26, 2021, 10:54:07 AM ---I am playing Roland V-Drums, however, I use real hi-hat cymbals.  I use an acrylic shield in front of the hi-hat to block some of the sound from getting into the mics of the vocalists in front of me but my vocal mic does pick up some of the cymbals and I would like to try to minimize that.  I am currently using an SM-58 but wondering if there is a better mic that would reduce what is picked up from the sides of the mic.

--- End quote ---

I have had good luck with the SE V7

Helge A Bentsen:
Shure B56/B57 is  also an option I've had good results with in the past.
Some drummers prefer the B56 because it's easier for them to get in the right position for singing. It can be a huge factor in deciding between mics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version