ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Honda Generator size for Marching Band  (Read 4047 times)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Honda Generator size for Marching Band
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2021, 04:58:48 PM »

^^^ What Mike said - those are quality generators, quiet and reliable.  Inverter type is where it's at for the smaller setups as they are hands-down the quietest.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2021, 05:08:55 PM »

What is the usual run-time of one of these performances?
I'm thinking more along the lines of deep-cycle batteries and an inverter or two.
No noise/fumes this way.
There are commercial solutions for this that don't break the bank.
Chris.
I remember when marching bands were Drum and Bugle corps.....

Show time is 15 minutes, but rehearsal is more like 2-3 hours before the show. that's where battery-powered doesn't make as much sense.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 05:15:59 PM »

How does the poor schlub feel that has to march and push the generator?

I am not the only person that doesn't understand why a marching band needs amplification?

Synth carts?  32 channels of mixing.  Man I must have missed a couple of decades of marching band memos.  As far as I know the finest marching band in the world, The Ohio State University Marching Band, has no such accoutrements. 

No one pushes the generator - these are for marching band competitions -less like Ohio State and more like DCI - here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLbObSuC0Fs. These are solely marching band competitions, and don't have the challenge of getting gear on and off during halftime. Agree it's a big change, but these are what marching band competitions are now.

The TF5 may be overkill at 32 channels. 4 shotgun mics, 12 pit mics (marimbas, virbraphones, xylophone) 2 wireless solo mics, and 2 mics for synth/SFX/VoiceOver parts. I didn't spec the board, and a 24 channel would have been fine, but it's what we have. One of the things your band is evaluated on is sound, and without a PA there's no way you're hearing marimbas and vibraphones, even with 3 players each.

Yep, it's very different, but these are the types of competitions they are in.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 05:59:56 PM »

I was an assistant band director for a HS' marching band....this band competed and was (and still is) one of the top two or three bands in its class in New England.
Back when I was working there we used no amplification
now-a-days
all of the local competition bands use a PA (mic'ing the pit [mallets] and some instrumental soloists on wireless lavs).

Which band? My brother was active (because all 3 of his sons played) with the Trumbull CT Golden Eagle Marching Band. I helped plan their PA, and went to lots of competitions.

Mac

Bob Stone

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2021, 07:28:16 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0GwHiF5ZmY

I use a Honda EB2800i for systems that size.  Given what you're doing and in the event you need some extra power capacity you may want something larger.

If buying today, I'd opt for the EU3000i which has the capability to run in parallel with another for added capacity.

Go with a conventional open frame type, more reliable and easier to start and store.  The fuel tank is larger and sits on top so they don't need a fuel pump which can cause problems when bringing the generator out after a period of storage.

Not this:   https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200833074_200833074

The open frame are louder...the EU2200 or 3000 are damn quiet and super portable.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2021, 08:26:38 PM »

No one pushes the generator - these are for marching band competitions -less like Ohio State and more like DCI - here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLbObSuC0Fs. These are solely marching band competitions, and don't have the challenge of getting gear on and off during halftime. Agree it's a big change, but these are what marching band competitions are now.

The TF5 may be overkill at 32 channels. 4 shotgun mics, 12 pit mics (marimbas, virbraphones, xylophone) 2 wireless solo mics, and 2 mics for synth/SFX/VoiceOver parts. I didn't spec the board, and a 24 channel would have been fine, but it's what we have. One of the things your band is evaluated on is sound, and without a PA there's no way you're hearing marimbas and vibraphones, even with 3 players each.

Yep, it's very different, but these are the types of competitions they are in.

I was being silly, and trying to learn a little bit at the same time.  Which I did.  The image of a kid with a generator racing to catch up with the tuba's appealed to my juvenile sense of humor. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2021, 10:48:46 PM »

The open frame are louder...the EU2200 or 3000 are damn quiet and super portable.

I can't say if it's an audible difference or not at a distance.  Open frame type run cooler and are far easier to maintain.  Putting a carpeted cart on it's side in front of the generator makes for some good quiet operation.  100' 12ga extension cord and my EB2800i is inaudible at garden weddings.  EU2200 suitcase style are not as reliable as the conventional style - tank is oriented in front of the engine in the small ones, which necessitates a fuel pump.  Storing them more than about 45 days without running them and there's problems with fuel system.  I owned two of the small 2000W suitcase models and got rid of both as there were storage and starting issues that the larger generators do not have.  Open frame also have larger fuel tanks and are easier to integrate into equipment load with other gear.

Ultimately it's an individual choice.  :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 11:01:21 PM by Steve-White »

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2021, 11:03:59 PM »

Which band? My brother was active (because all 3 of his sons played) with the Trumbull CT Golden Eagle Marching Band. I helped plan their PA, and went to lots of competitions.

Mac

Dartmouth High School in MA

Bob Stone

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2021, 11:33:54 PM »

I can't say if it's an audible difference or not at a distance.  Open frame type run cooler and are far easier to maintain.  Putting a carpeted cart on it's side in front of the generator makes for some good quiet operation.  100' 12ga extension cord and my EB2800i is inaudible at garden weddings.  EU2200 suitcase style are not as reliable as the conventional style - tank is oriented in front of the engine in the small ones, which necessitates a fuel pump.  Storing them more than about 45 days without running them and there's problems with fuel system.  I owned two of the small 2000W suitcase models and got rid of both as there were storage and starting issues that the larger generators do not have.  Open frame also have larger fuel tanks and are easier to integrate into equipment load with other gear.

Ultimately it's an individual choice.  :)

You must be the only person that's ever had a problem with an EU2000/2200 in all of history lol

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2021, 12:10:52 AM »

I was being silly, and trying to learn a little bit at the same time.  Which I did.  The image of a kid with a generator racing to catch up with the tuba's appealed to my juvenile sense of humor.

I did want to share this from the game 2 weeks ago.  These guys are amazing https://youtu.be/X3FvnPFS-_w
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2021, 12:10:52 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.