ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Honda Generator size for Marching Band  (Read 4060 times)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Honda Generator size for Marching Band
« on: September 25, 2021, 10:59:19 PM »

My daughter plays marimba in her high school marching band, which means I'm automatically a roadie. Learned how to drive a 26' box truck 2 seasons ago.

Since the dad who bought/specc'd the system has been gone for 2 years, and I'm by default the PA guy (they played on Friday and someone unplugged their 15-20amp adapter from the UPS, which meant no power for the show... I get to help them figure out all things audio.

This year, they're looking at a parent who can get a Honda generator donated, but trying to understand what size we need. Gear is as follows:

EV ETX-35P 15" Tops x 2
EV ETX-18SP 18" Subs x 2
Yamaha TF5 32 channel board running on a Cyber Power 2200LCDRT2U UPS
Wireless router for tablet control
Shure wireless mic receiver
Macbook, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

I've never rented/bought a generator and not sure of the size; when I look at the power consumption specs for the EVs, they both say 1.8 - .8A (1/8th power). Which means nothing to me and is confusing.

So with that, what size generator should we ask to be donated?

Besides iffy power at some of the competition fields, the band also needs the generator for practice before competition.

Appreciate the help and recommendations, as will the marching band.

Next step is getting 8 or 10" tubeless casters for the speaker carts and the mixer and synth carts - right now they're on 4" casters which don't roll at all on turf, let alone mud, sand... looking at 16 total.

thanks!

Bob Stone

Re: Honda Generator size for Marching Band
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 11:06:26 PM »

My daughter plays marimba in her high school marching band, which means I'm automatically a roadie. Learned how to drive a 26' box truck 2 seasons ago.

Since the dad who bought/specc'd the system has been gone for 2 years, and I'm by default the PA guy (they played on Friday and someone unplugged their 15-20amp adapter from the UPS, which meant no power for the show... I get to help them figure out all things audio.

This year, they're looking at a parent who can get a Honda generator donated, but trying to understand what size we need. Gear is as follows:

EV ETX-35P 15" Tops x 2
EV ETX-18SP 18" Subs x 2

I've never rented/bought a generator and not sure of the size; when I look at the power consumption specs for the EVs, they both say 1.8 - .8A (1/8th power). Which means nothing to me and is confusing.

Besides iffy power at some of the competition fields, the band also needs the generator for practice before competition.

Next step is getting 8 or 10" tubeless casters for the speaker carts and the mixer and synth carts - right now they're on 4" casters which don't roll at all on turf, let alone mud, sand... looking at 16 total.

thanks!

Would probably run off an EU2200 ok, but might step up to the EU3000 if you think anyone else is going to yoink power off your gen set.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 11:12:11 PM »

Thanks Bob - since we're setting up (running on the field, playing their piece, running off) it's always only us on the genny - no carnival fryers or coffeepots.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 11:21:03 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0GwHiF5ZmY

I use a Honda EB2800i for systems that size.  Given what you're doing and in the event you need some extra power capacity you may want something larger.

If buying today, I'd opt for the EU3000i which has the capability to run in parallel with another for added capacity.

Go with a conventional open frame type, more reliable and easier to start and store.  The fuel tank is larger and sits on top so they don't need a fuel pump which can cause problems when bringing the generator out after a period of storage.

Not this:   https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200833074_200833074

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 11:26:11 PM »

Thanks Bob - since we're setting up (running on the field, playing their piece, running off) it's always only us on the genny - no carnival fryers or coffeepots.
What is the usual run-time of one of these performances?
I'm thinking more along the lines of deep-cycle batteries and an inverter or two.
No noise/fumes this way.
There are commercial solutions for this that don't break the bank.
Chris.
I remember when marching bands were Drum and Bugle corps.....
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 01:32:44 AM »

EV ETX-35P 15" Tops x 2
EV ETX-18SP 18" Subs x 2

thanks!

How does the poor schlub feel that has to march and push the generator?

I am not the only person that doesn't understand why a marching band needs amplification?

Synth carts?  32 channels of mixing.  Man I must have missed a couple of decades of marching band memos.  As far as I know the finest marching band in the world, The Ohio State University Marching Band, has no such accoutrements. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 01:35:18 AM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 01:14:15 PM »

Look at the Yamaha EF series gennies.  As good or better reviews and cheaper than the Hondas.
I have a EF3000i and a EF6300i.  Both fabulous.
The 3k should be plenty.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 02:59:29 PM »

I am not the only person that doesn't understand why a marching band needs amplification?

Synth carts?  32 channels of mixing.  Man I must have missed a couple of decades of marching band memos.  As far as I know the finest marching band in the world, The Ohio State University Marching Band, has no such accoutrements.

I'm told that we're behind the times, Scott.

What's next, a marching cello section? (remembers a Woody Allen scene)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 04:37:05 PM »

For casters have a look here:  https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_material-handling+casters.

When I do carts I use fixed at one end and swivel at the other end and not 4 swivel - personal preference, I find it easier to handle on sloped surfaces.  10" is the minimum diameter I use anymore for off-road type setups and works very well.  I only use flat-free as well.  That's the setup I use on my generators too.

Pictured is a power washer I put together using a re-purposed generator frame the neighbor had discarded.

Swivel casters are 10", wheels are 12" and all non-inflatable flat free.  The handle came off of a junk pallet cart.  That was made to be able to drag around the yard easily for wall washing and hitting the drain clean outs with the power snake.  it will traverse about anything you would likely encounter with a portable PA system.

Wheels and casters are from Northern Tool.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 12:03:33 PM by Steve-White »

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 04:54:53 PM »

I was an assistant band director for a HS' marching band....this band competed and was (and still is) one of the top two or three bands in its class in New England.
Back when I was working there we used no amplification
now-a-days
all of the local competition bands use a PA (mic'ing the pit [mallets] and some instrumental soloists on wireless lavs).
--All mixed by a guy on an iPad sitting in the stands near "the box" (where the overall music judge is located..).--
Totally unmusical if you ask me....
/musician educator rant
To point:
a Honda EU2200 should be all that you need for a PA that is used as "support" for acoustic instruments
but an EU3000is (of which I own two that I use for sound reinforcement) would take care of your needs and-then-some.

The units (mentioned above) are inverter types that are two of the quietest made.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 04:54:53 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.