ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Subwoofers in mono or stereo?  (Read 6419 times)

Plamen Milev

• @djpepi
Subwoofers in mono or stereo?
« on: September 23, 2021, 10:27:31 AM »

I'm running my system through DCX2496 in configuration A+B (left and right channel) and C being sum of A+B.
C is for my two subwoofers that I stack together and they basically run in mono.
I do DJ events playing pre-recorded material.
What are your thoughts on running the bass section in mono? And should I change to stereo?
Subs are crossed 35 to 88Hz

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Subwoofers in mono or stereo?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 10:50:31 AM »

Subs should always be in mono. There is no stereo localization in frequencies that low and no benefit to running them that way.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 05:22:09 PM »

I have my passive rig configured the same way and most of my active speaker deployments involve a single sub so they are effectively the same. There has never been a complaint that bass wasn't in stereo.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 05:54:47 PM »

Subs should always be in mono. There is no stereo localization in frequencies that low and no benefit to running them that way.

Agreed. Even the Lititz Aardvark or Jim Yakabuski's Armadillo begin with a mono sub source.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 09:45:45 PM »

LF Mono summed for everything - no exceptions between playback or reinforcement systems - portable or installed.

Mal Brown

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 11:32:20 AM »

for those of us using powered subs, no driverack, etc and using mixers like the ui-24 or xlr 18...  what is the best way to get  to mono subs and not have to use aux fed?

only way I see is left and right to 1 sub and sum from there to the other.  At least with kw-181 that would be possible.  OR run L&R to each and match the volumes ...There would have to be a significant benefit for me to bite either of those approaches...

Next spring when the biz (hopefully) picks up again in my area, I will probably migrate from using the internal QSC crossovers to driverack setup as I'll be putting DZR 2 way or DZR 3 way tops over the QSC 18's or over LA400's That will certainly make mono easily available.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 12:12:30 PM »

for those of us using powered subs, no driverack, etc and using mixers like the ui-24 or xlr 18...  what is the best way to get  to mono subs and not have to use aux fed?

only way I see is left and right to 1 sub and sum from there to the other.  At least with kw-181 that would be possible.  OR run L&R to each and match the volumes ...There would have to be a significant benefit for me to bite either of those approaches...

Next spring when the biz (hopefully) picks up again in my area, I will probably migrate from using the internal QSC crossovers to driverack setup as I'll be putting DZR 2 way or DZR 3 way tops over the QSC 18's or over LA400's That will certainly make mono easily available.

Send your left-right to a mono matrix.  That or whirlwind makes passive summers for $40-$50.  You could make your own passive summer with resistors for around $10.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 12:13:52 PM »

There's really no downside to running stereo subs, except that there will be no stereo "effect". Essentially subs, even when running in stereo, will effectively be mono anyway.

Now, here's the real reason everyone groups subs into a mono source. If the music has low frequencies panned to one side or the other, that LF will only be coming out of one sub and you lose half your horsepower. Running them from a summed mono source allows that LF load to be shared amongst all the subs instead of just half of them.

But if the source material has all the LF panned center (as pretty much all modern music does it) it really doesn't matter.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 02:22:54 PM »

There's really no downside to running stereo subs, except that there will be no stereo "effect". Essentially subs, even when running in stereo, will effectively be mono anyway.

If you run stereo subs and you have a double kick that is hard panned left and right and going fast, it is a pretty cool effect.  IN THE MIDDLE

But for the rest of the show (where a single kick is being used), a lot of the audience will not be getting a decent kick sound.

But if all you care about is the middle, then go for it.

It all depends on what is important and who is important, and for what reason.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 02:47:09 PM »

Mono subs are the most common way to go.
I have seen ONE rider demand left and right subs. (I am old and have read thousands of riders over the years) This was specifically for the toms on the drum set.
This act has since abandoned that and gone with mono.
A theater that we work in often just installed a system and the consultant specified stereo subs so we bring a XLR Y to the venue every time now to save guest engineer confusion.
I would stay with the mono configuration if I were in your shoes.

I'm running my system through DCX2496 in configuration A+B (left and right channel) and C being sum of A+B.
C is for my two subwoofers that I stack together and they basically run in mono.
I do DJ events playing pre-recorded material.
What are your thoughts on running the bass section in mono? And should I change to stereo?
Subs are crossed 35 to 88Hz

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 02:47:09 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.