Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Rackmount supercapacitor?

(1/4) > >>

Tracy Garner:
Hi,

I did a small gig the other day with an X32 and a couple iTech8000. The available power was just under what I needed to run 120V. A couple times, the X32 rebooted while the iTech amps stayed on no problem. For situations like this, I would love to have a power conditioner type rack that will provide a second or two if 120v power were to dip (bass drum caused the dip I'm sure).

Does any rack power conditioner comes to mind that has a built-in capacitor they are not advertising?

Jeff Lelko:
What you need is a rackmount online double-conversion UPS.  Since it’s essentially always on battery there’s zero latency, lag, or artifacts when venue service glitches.  Mine is from Eaton and has never had a problem.  They’re best used for consoles and other sensitive equipment - not amps.  Hope this helps!

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on September 22, 2021, 03:10:24 PM ---What you need is a rackmount online double-conversion UPS.  Since it’s essentially always on battery there’s zero latency, lag, or artifacts when venue service glitches.  Mine is from Eaton and has never had a problem.  They’re best used for consoles and other sensitive equipment - not amps.  Hope this helps!

--- End quote ---
If you have room in your rack, you can mount a regular UPS in the bottom and just run the mixer on it.

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Dave Garoutte on September 22, 2021, 03:18:09 PM ---If you have room in your rack, you can mount a regular UPS in the bottom and just run the mixer on it.

--- End quote ---
This +1.  Ya don't need to go fully exotic.  All my UPS's are used APC's from eBay.  Buy 'em, test 'em and go.

Units in good condition are EXTREMELY reliable and last a LONG time.  Buy WITHOUT batteries for three reasons:  1) Used batteries are junk, 2) Shipping cost for used batteries is excessive within the overall weight of a UPS and battery suppliers get a much better shipping rate, 3) Additional weight of batteries in a UPS during shipping make them much more susceptible to damage.

Jeff Lelko:
I'm not sure that I'd consider an online double-conversion UPS to be exotic.  Excessive perhaps, but within the context of this thread it's the best thing I can think of that truly "fixes" bad power or momentary drop-outs without any downstream artifacts.  Line-interactive UPS models can't say that, and when running no less than $30k+ of gear at FOH I'm happy to spend an extra $1k on an UPS knowing that what's downstream has good clean power. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version