ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rackmount supercapacitor?  (Read 5411 times)

Tracy Garner

Rackmount supercapacitor?
« on: September 22, 2021, 02:53:21 PM »

Hi,

I did a small gig the other day with an X32 and a couple iTech8000. The available power was just under what I needed to run 120V. A couple times, the X32 rebooted while the iTech amps stayed on no problem. For situations like this, I would love to have a power conditioner type rack that will provide a second or two if 120v power were to dip (bass drum caused the dip I'm sure).

Does any rack power conditioner comes to mind that has a built-in capacitor they are not advertising?

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Rackmount supercapacitor?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 03:10:24 PM »

What you need is a rackmount online double-conversion UPS.  Since it’s essentially always on battery there’s zero latency, lag, or artifacts when venue service glitches.  Mine is from Eaton and has never had a problem.  They’re best used for consoles and other sensitive equipment - not amps.  Hope this helps!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 03:18:09 PM »

What you need is a rackmount online double-conversion UPS.  Since it’s essentially always on battery there’s zero latency, lag, or artifacts when venue service glitches.  Mine is from Eaton and has never had a problem.  They’re best used for consoles and other sensitive equipment - not amps.  Hope this helps!
If you have room in your rack, you can mount a regular UPS in the bottom and just run the mixer on it.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 03:34:02 PM »

If you have room in your rack, you can mount a regular UPS in the bottom and just run the mixer on it.
This +1.  Ya don't need to go fully exotic.  All my UPS's are used APC's from eBay.  Buy 'em, test 'em and go.

Units in good condition are EXTREMELY reliable and last a LONG time.  Buy WITHOUT batteries for three reasons:  1) Used batteries are junk, 2) Shipping cost for used batteries is excessive within the overall weight of a UPS and battery suppliers get a much better shipping rate, 3) Additional weight of batteries in a UPS during shipping make them much more susceptible to damage.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 03:39:23 PM by Steve-White »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 10:14:22 PM »

I'm not sure that I'd consider an online double-conversion UPS to be exotic.  Excessive perhaps, but within the context of this thread it's the best thing I can think of that truly "fixes" bad power or momentary drop-outs without any downstream artifacts.  Line-interactive UPS models can't say that, and when running no less than $30k+ of gear at FOH I'm happy to spend an extra $1k on an UPS knowing that what's downstream has good clean power. 

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 11:04:44 PM »

I'm not sure that I'd consider an online double-conversion UPS to be exotic.  Excessive perhaps, but within the context of this thread it's the best thing I can think of that truly "fixes" bad power or momentary drop-outs without any downstream artifacts.  Line-interactive UPS models can't say that, and when running no less than $30k+ of gear at FOH I'm happy to spend an extra $1k on an UPS knowing that what's downstream has good clean power.

In your case, with $30K up front I'd opt for the more high end solution.  For a $3K X32 with a couple of iT8K's and console only issues the $500 APC solution may work fine.  Testing will easily confirm that.

:)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 01:12:29 PM by Steve-White »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 09:08:22 AM »

These situations call for a generator, not some battery device.

You'll spend most of your time on battery and then, when it finally reaches about 11.x volts, the inverter will shut down.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 01:21:38 PM »

^ You're probably right Tim.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 01:40:40 PM »

UPS are fine for occasional protection. Plug gets kicked out, full on power failure etc.
Save your work, and shut down, or chastise the "helper" that plugged in a kettle in place of you FOH power.
For lights that dim on every hit of the kick, you are out of power. As Tim mentioned, The UPS won't last very long.
WRONG tool for this particular application.
You need more 'lecky.....

Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 03:49:11 PM »

Hi,

I did a small gig the other day with an X32 and a couple iTech8000. The available power was just under what I needed to run 120V. A couple times, the X32 rebooted while the iTech amps stayed on no problem. For situations like this, I would love to have a power conditioner type rack that will provide a second or two if 120v power were to dip (bass drum caused the dip I'm sure).

Does any rack power conditioner comes to mind that has a built-in capacitor they are not advertising?

One of my summer concert series had to move locations due to covid. It took a few weeks to get the AC power sorted out. To make a long story short - for the first three shows we powered the mains and front line (4) active monitors from a single 20 amp circuit with a 50 foot 12 gauge  cable. We then ran another 100 feet from that same circuit to FOH - 150 feet total.
FOH was a QU24, MAXXBCL, Tascam USB/SD media player which were plugged into a Furman M-8X AR 15A Voltage Regulator.
The input meter on the Furman was showing as low as 105VAC input voltage. Never had a problem with any of the FOH gear. The Furman was able to maintain a stable 120VAC to power the FOH equipment.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 03:49:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.