Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Ipad IOS update caused DMX wifi issue?

(1/2) > >>

Debbie Dunkley:
So Apple had a spyware breach thingy happen last week and provided an IOS bug update to 'take care' of it. I usually am very slow to update anything until I am convinced that any reported issues have been taken care of. However, in light of this being a hot security issue, I went ahead and updated all my Apple products.
One of the iPads I use for lighting ( I use 2) only gets used for that purpose but I updated it anyway just to be safe.
At the show this weekend that required lights, my stage front iPad would not respond to commands on Luminair. I could connect to my network, and I could see that wifi wass activated on the app but couldn't get an response so I had to use my back up iPad which worked fine.
I checked all my other iPads that were updated and they all control the software perfectly so its just this one iPad and only since the IOS update.
Ironically I did get the iPad working yesterday by re-installing the update so I though I was good till I checked again today. Now its not working again.

I use 2 art net dongles - 1 Enttec and 1 DMX King... to be able to separate the legs and trick Luminair into giving me 2 universes - one on each iPad. Enttec uses Art net and DMX King uses sCan.
So today I went on my troubleshooting mission and my conclusion is that this one iPad no longer talks to the Enttec dongle.
My 'easy' fix is to assign the iPad with the issue to the DMX King leg and the other iPad I use for lights normally on the DMX King on the Enttec leg as it seems to work just fine ( as does my iPhone and my other iPad pro I use for sound at shows)..... weird that this is the only iPad affected.
So I have my 'fix' but I thought it was an interesting one for those of you who are networking gurus........

Geoff Chartier:

--- Quote from: Debbie Dunkley on September 20, 2021, 02:38:14 PM ---So Apple had a spyware breach thingy happen last week and provided an IOS bug update to 'take care' of it. I usually am very slow to update anything until I am convinced that any reported issues have been taken care of. However, in light of this being a hot security issue, I went ahead and updated all my Apple products.
One of the iPads I use for lighting ( I use 2) only gets used for that purpose but I updated it anyway just to be safe.
At the show this weekend that required lights, my stage front iPad would not respond to commands on Luminair. I could connect to my network, and I could see that wifi wass activated on the app but couldn't get an response so I had to use my back up iPad which worked fine.
I checked all my other iPads that were updated and they all control the software perfectly so its just this one iPad and only since the IOS update.
Ironically I did get the iPad working yesterday by re-installing the update so I though I was good till I checked again today. Now its not working again.

I use 2 art net dongles - 1 Enttec and 1 DMX King... to be able to separate the legs and trick Luminair into giving me 2 universes - one on each iPad. Enttec uses Art net and DMX King uses sCan.
So today I went on my troubleshooting mission and my conclusion is that this one iPad no longer talks to the Enttec dongle.
My 'easy' fix is to assign the iPad with the issue to the DMX King leg and the other iPad I use for lights normally on the DMX King on the Enttec leg as it seems to work just fine ( as does my iPhone and my other iPad pro I use for sound at shows)..... weird that this is the only iPad affected.
So I have my 'fix' but I thought it was an interesting one for those of you who are networking gurus........

--- End quote ---

Hello- just checking if there’s been any update on this issue? I’m considering making the jump to Luminair 4 via iPad and I generally like not having to think about updates (especially security ones) so the issue you described may cause me to hit pause on my plans… thank you!

Debbie Dunkley:
Ironically I have been having issues ever since with the Enttec and that 1 iPad generally - odd responses and such so now I just reboot the Enttec after everything is connected and switched on….. I think I need to do a firmware update on it but till then, the reboot works.  Bottom line - no further issues other than the reboot fix.

Geoff Chartier:
Thank you so much! This sets my mind at ease.

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Debbie Dunkley on November 20, 2021, 03:33:53 PM ---Ironically I have been having issues ever since with the Enttec and that 1 iPad generally - odd responses and such so now I just reboot the Enttec after everything is connected and switched on….. I think I need to do a firmware update on it but till then, the reboot works.  Bottom line - no further issues other than the reboot fix.

--- End quote ---
I had random connection issues with the Enntec also.  Rebooting seems to fix it.  I prefer the DMX King because of that.  Plus it was cheaper.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version