ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TT22A Still Viable?  (Read 1752 times)

Mike Karseboom

TT22A Still Viable?
« on: September 19, 2021, 11:20:55 AM »

I have an opportunity to buy a pair of used RCF TT22A Mk 1 speakers for $1500.  The cabinets don't look too bad and the interiors are super clean with correct OEM components.  I am going for a listen/test in a couple of days.

These things must be pushing 20 years old with unknown usage history other than they were used by professional sound companies.  TrueHeart Sound was selling 20 pairs of these on Ebay a couple of years ago and the seller obtained 4 of them and is now selling 2.

I currently have K12's, PRX712's, DSR112's, PRX615's, and SRX815P's used for mains when appropriate on smaller jobs and monitors on just about all jobs.  I am hoping to step up to a "pro" level box to use as mains when appropriate either stand alone or over subs.

The idea is purely to be able to deliver a "better" sound (smoother, clearer, etc.) in the same situations where I might use one of the other 12's as mains.  I wouldn't necessarily get any direct financial benefit having these.  It is more to help me maintain  a reputation for good quality sound, keeping me in demand, and for my own edification having a high quality speaker to use.

Assuming they sound good and don't have any issues reproducing sounds from a tone generator test, do you think these would be worth having?  As old as they are, will they still sound "better" than something like a DSR112? If they work well today, are they likely to keep working for some time to come?
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

John Schalk

Re: TT22A Still Viable?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 10:55:31 AM »

Having never worked with these, my $0.02 is that $750 per speaker is a bit too much given their age.  I'd be worried about a failure in the built-in electronics that could be expensive to repair.  Also, for me, they weigh too much for "stick" speakers.  The mark II 22A weighs in at 50 lbs vs. 63 lbs for the older mark I.  Do they come with a road case?  IIRC some of those did and that could shift the value proposition a bit.  They do have a 3" VC on the horn, so their closest affordable comp today is probably the SRX 812p.  The JBLs weigh slightly less and have much newer electronics, but cost more, which I'm sure you have already thought of.

I don't think I would invest in them as just another pair of powered 12" speakers in inventory unless you could get a deal on 3 or 4 pairs (with cases) and then you could use them to replace your other powered 12" boxes and standardize on one type of speaker.  Especially for a stage monitor use case.  I don't have any customers that are going to pay me more for a speaker with "RCF" on it instead of "QSC" or "JBL", do you?

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 02:13:24 PM »

Thanks for the considered reply.

These do come with a road case, although it looks well  used. Unfortunately I  am usually trying to minimize my pack size and simple covers work  better for me.

I think these are "only" 51 lbs.  The Mk II dropped down to 40 lbs.

The financial benefit to me, assuming they keep working, would be indirect at best, and only if they really do make it  easier to deliver a "better" sound.

The SRX812P is on my radar but they are about $1300 each and just as heavy.  I love the ability  of my SRX815P's to deliver full range sound at loud levels with no subs, but still think they have a somewhat "MI" sort of  sound.

I am hoping the TT is going to give me an idea how a "pro level" box might be an eye opener  for me.  I only get to hear high end gear infrequently when I  go to a paid concert and the results vary from amazing to mediocre depending on a  lot of factors.  Working with equipment directly and repeatedly will give me the real knowledge. 

The question is whether these old boxes still have that pro level clarity and  smoothness to offer.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 02:01:19 PM »

I have an opportunity to buy a pair of used RCF TT22A Mk 1 speakers for $1500.  The cabinets don't look too bad and the interiors are super clean with correct OEM components.  I am going for a listen/test in a couple of days.

These things must be pushing 20 years old with unknown usage history other than they were used by professional sound companies.  TrueHeart Sound was selling 20 pairs of these on Ebay a couple of years ago and the seller obtained 4 of them and is now selling 2.

I currently have K12's, PRX712's, DSR112's, PRX615's, and SRX815P's used for mains when appropriate on smaller jobs and monitors on just about all jobs.  I am hoping to step up to a "pro" level box to use as mains when appropriate either stand alone or over subs.

The idea is purely to be able to deliver a "better" sound (smoother, clearer, etc.) in the same situations where I might use one of the other 12's as mains.  I wouldn't necessarily get any direct financial benefit having these.  It is more to help me maintain  a reputation for good quality sound, keeping me in demand, and for my own edification having a high quality speaker to use.

Assuming they sound good and don't have any issues reproducing sounds from a tone generator test, do you think these would be worth having?  As old as they are, will they still sound "better" than something like a DSR112? If they work well today, are they likely to keep working for some time to come?

Until Covid I used these a lot. I'd still take them over DSR112 in a band-setting. But make sure you test both switches which are on the back of them. Almost all of ours have some problems with them, need to press one of them several times when there's no HF for example. The switches on the back is the only "could be better" I have against them.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 11:47:50 PM »

I have an opportunity to buy a pair of used RCF TT22A Mk 1 speakers for $1500. 

Probably a good idea to call Mike at RCF support and see what the replacement parts supply is like for those before you invest.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Heath Eldridge

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 07:52:14 AM »

Thanks for the considered reply.

These do come with a road case, although it looks well  used. Unfortunately I  am usually trying to minimize my pack size and simple covers work  better for me.

I think these are "only" 51 lbs.  The Mk II dropped down to 40 lbs.

The financial benefit to me, assuming they keep working, would be indirect at best, and only if they really do make it  easier to deliver a "better" sound.

The SRX812P is on my radar but they are about $1300 each and just as heavy.  I love the ability  of my SRX815P's to deliver full range sound at loud levels with no subs, but still think they have a somewhat "MI" sort of  sound.

I am hoping the TT is going to give me an idea how a "pro level" box might be an eye opener  for me.  I only get to hear high end gear infrequently when I  go to a paid concert and the results vary from amazing to mediocre depending on a  lot of factors.  Working with equipment directly and repeatedly will give me the real knowledge. 

The question is whether these old boxes still have that pro level clarity and  smoothness to offer.

I’ve got the new ones. They’re a very good speaker but not going to blow something like the srx away.

I’ve never measured but I’m pretty sure they’re more than 40 pounds.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 07:52:14 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.