ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: XLR I/O Distro  (Read 3511 times)

Bobby Gonzales

XLR I/O Distro
« on: September 18, 2021, 12:00:36 PM »

I have multiple Powersoft amps. Some of them don't have analog outputs. This make it hard to connect them all at the same time. They expect you to use AES3 or Dante. The amps are used for a DJ rig so the digital options are not ideal. I would like to get some sort of XLR I/O distrobution. The only thing I can think of is using a Processor but I dont want it to effect the sound quality. Is there any other options out there?

Steve-White

• Fort Worth

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: XLR I/O Distro
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 05:13:29 PM »

I have multiple Powersoft amps. Some of them don't have analog outputs. This make it hard to connect them all at the same time. They expect you to use AES3 or Dante. The amps are used for a DJ rig so the digital options are not ideal. I would like to get some sort of XLR I/O distrobution. The only thing I can think of is using a Processor but I dont want it to effect the sound quality. Is there any other options out there?

You’re going to need to be a little more specific here.  Is the lack of analog outputs a problem because you want to chain signal through?  Then use a splitter like Scott linked or get a distribution amp.  If it’s something else you’ll have to explain what you’re trying to accomplish.

Bobby Gonzales

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 06:19:38 PM »

Yes I want to chain the signal. I've tried using a splitter but I didn't like how low the input signal was.  I just looked up distribution amplifier and it is exactly what I was looking for I was looking for. Thank you

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 08:28:06 PM »

Yes I want to chain the signal. I've tried using a splitter but I didn't like how low the input signal was.  I just looked up distribution amplifier and it is exactly what I was looking for I was looking for. Thank you

Unless you are splitting a bunch, you don’t need to worry about signal loss. If you are just splitting say less then 6 times (there is math if you want to do it… your summed input impedance should be 10 times greater then the output impedance) you should be fine.

If you do have drastic signal loss when splitting an XLR feed a few times… something is wrong.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 10:04:39 PM »

If you do have drastic signal loss when splitting an XLR feed a few times… something is wrong.

+1.

You should easily be able to split a signal a half dozen times with no issue.  Amps that have an in and out essentially are just a split no different than an external one.
Brian Jojade

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 03:30:16 AM »

I too am a little confused here. I always end up using extra amps, for fills, or just extras, or anything really and have never subscribed to the run amps gain fully clockwise 'rule' some have. The systems driving the amps always have bags of spare. Using parallel splits just means to restore the status quo - you just turn everything up a bit, or in my case, shove the master a bit higher. The split loss is easily made up as nobody ever goes anywhere near digital maximum - as there's no need. In fairness, I don;t need to use the old splitter box very much as the stage boxes now have so many outputs - you just patch a few extras in. I've never noticed any difference in practice using the splitters, or extra outputs.

Bobby Gonzales

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 10:29:53 AM »

Sounds like I need to go through all the settings and Inspect the splitters before buying any new gear. I was under the assumption that the line outputs were connected to some sort of pre-amp.
Thank you
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 10:34:19 AM by Bobby Gonzales »

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 10:35:50 AM »

Sounds like I need to go through all the settings before buying any new gear. I was under the assumption that the line outputs were connected to some sort of pre-amp.
Thank you

Some very well might have buffering (a little more common on AES loop throughs).   A quick way to test is to turn off the device which the signal is passing through. Generally speaking, if the signal passes through with that device off, it's nothing more than a parallel split.  If the line out is dead with that device off, there is likely a buffer on board.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 04:17:26 PM »

+1.

You should easily be able to split a signal a half dozen times with no issue.  Amps that have an in and out essentially are just a split no different than an external one.

I was visiting SHOWCO once upon a time and my host pointed at a dbx piece and said "that right there will drive every amp rack we have simultaneously".   No distribution amps, and I am not sure if the dbx box (compressor I think) was modified.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 04:17:26 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.