ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Digico s31 noob things to watch out for  (Read 2977 times)

Matthias McCready

Re: Digico s31 noob things to watch out for
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 11:46:52 AM »

This is a MAJOR pet peeve of mine with all of these style consoles and one of the main reasons i prefer Yamaha. IMHO there should ALWAYS be a home base where every path appears, even if it's only accessible through a setup page or whatever.

For SD Consoles this page is the "Channel List" under the "Layout" menu tab.

I do not see such a screen/menu for the S series; although I could be wrong.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 08:55:48 PM »

For SD Consoles this page is the "Channel List" under the "Layout" menu tab.

I do not see such a screen/menu for the S series; although I could be wrong.

well admittedly with only 48 channels to keep track of it's a little less of an issue. :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 11:19:41 PM »

I've got a thing that popped up for this weekend where i'll be on a Digico S31.

I have basically NO time on Digico, so I'm looking for any "gotchas" that i should be aware of. I'm thinking specifically of things like "make sure you hit 'save' a lot". Or "setup a preset first before you start working" or whatever. Things to prevent me from getting boned. I'm sure i can figure out how to get audio in and out of the desk and routed and such. I just don't want any show stopping gotchas happening 5 minutes before show time.

Thanks to all!

brian

So my experience is all with the SD range (which I love) so take this with a grain of salt.  I have had hands on with the S series but only in a shop setting a few years ago.

First, S and SD are completely unrelated so knowing one doesn't really help with knowing the other.  Newer software may have eased that, but keep it in mind when looking at advice gleaned from the SD range.

That said, it's pretty much gospel that with the SD range you never work off of the scene that automatically loads at boot.  You always load a saved scene.  It certainly won't hurt to operate an S console the same way.

When I did have shop time on the S console I was feeding it tracks from a DVS session.  It was all a garbly mess.  Took a bit of troubleshooting to realize that the S was running at 96K and the DVS was at 48K.  A quick rate change on the console cleared it all up but keep in mind the sample rate if you're interfacing with other gear via Dante.  It's always annoying when you waste 15 (or more) minutes on what turns out to be an "I'm an idiot" situation when you're trying to work quickly/efficiently.

FWIW I think you're in a better situation to be stepping into a S without SD experience.  I kept looking for things that just weren't present or trying to do things in the way I already knew from the SD line.

brian maddox

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 11:35:48 PM »

So my experience is all with the SD range (which I love) so take this with a grain of salt.  I have had hands on with the S series but only in a shop setting a few years ago.

First, S and SD are completely unrelated so knowing one doesn't really help with knowing the other.  Newer software may have eased that, but keep it in mind when looking at advice gleaned from the SD range.

That said, it's pretty much gospel that with the SD range you never work off of the scene that automatically loads at boot.  You always load a saved scene.  It certainly won't hurt to operate an S console the same way.

When I did have shop time on the S console I was feeding it tracks from a DVS session.  It was all a garbly mess.  Took a bit of troubleshooting to realize that the S was running at 96K and the DVS was at 48K.  A quick rate change on the console cleared it all up but keep in mind the sample rate if you're interfacing with other gear via Dante.  It's always annoying when you waste 15 (or more) minutes on what turns out to be an "I'm an idiot" situation when you're trying to work quickly/efficiently.

FWIW I think you're in a better situation to be stepping into a S without SD experience.  I kept looking for things that just weren't present or trying to do things in the way I already knew from the SD line.

Yeah, I read through the S31 manual [I'm on a plane so I had the time] and it's a pretty straightforward simple desk. Some of the more esoteric things I'd like to do it just simply won't do, and I can live with that.

I also read through some of the SD manual, and that's a bit , um, LESS simple....  :)

Thanks for all the advice though. I know that all the ecosystems have their particular quirks so knowing them before I wade in is super useful.

Edit: Actually what you're describing reminds me of trying to work on a Yamaha TF console when I've spent so much time on QL/CL. Just so much stuff that just wasn't there. In some cases I literally couldn't believe that it wasn't there as it seemed to be too stupid for Yamaha to have left it out. But sure enough....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 11:38:58 PM by brian maddox »

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Chip Sciacca

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 02:14:57 PM »

Hi Mac
    On the SD and Quantum series that is up to the operator as in the options tab you can set the console to load and save startup as well as to autoupdate the current session at a user set time interval. As well, in an emergency power loss the console is always writing an additional emergency file in the background that will load first in this instance restoring audio the way it was when power went down even before the PC restores the work surface controls. As for the S series it is actually a little more forgiving because of its Linux OS. Brian, please make note of our [email protected] email address should you need any assistance.

I too am a lightweight on Digico, but I have learned the hard way, Save Your Session! Saving scenes does nothing permanent till you save the session. If you have been saving the scene all day and the console shits the bed you are back to square one. Unlike Yamaha consoles Digico does not return to the last state, you must have a session to reload.

Mac
Tech Support Engineer
Group One Ltd.
DiGiCo USA
Klang USA

brian maddox

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2021, 03:59:12 PM »

Hi Mac
    On the SD and Quantum series that is up to the operator as in the options tab you can set the console to load and save startup as well as to autoupdate the current session at a user set time interval. As well, in an emergency power loss the console is always writing an additional emergency file in the background that will load first in this instance restoring audio the way it was when power went down even before the PC restores the work surface controls. As for the S series it is actually a little more forgiving because of its Linux OS. Brian, please make note of our [email protected] email address should you need any assistance.

Thanks for the support. Gig went fine and learning curve was totally workable.

Now I just need to land a gig on an SD

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2021, 05:30:37 PM »

Yeah, I read through the S31 manual [I'm on a plane so I had the time] and it's a pretty straightforward simple desk. Some of the more esoteric things I'd like to do it just simply won't do, and I can live with that.

I also read through some of the SD manual, and that's a bit , um, LESS simple....  :)

Thanks for all the advice though. I know that all the ecosystems have their particular quirks so knowing them before I wade in is super useful.

Edit: Actually what you're describing reminds me of trying to work on a Yamaha TF console when I've spent so much time on QL/CL. Just so much stuff that just wasn't there. In some cases I literally couldn't believe that it wasn't there as it seemed to be too stupid for Yamaha to have left it out. But sure enough....

So, now I'm curious, what wouldn't the S do for you? Would the SD have done it? I've run both boards but I'm quite a bit more familiar with the SD, and my relatively limited time on the S led me to believe that they were just two very different front-ends for pretty similar back-ends, but not in your experience?

(I think your TF comment is spot on. I played around with a floor demo unit while standing in line at a service counter once, and even there it was obvious that it was no LS9.)

-Russ

brian maddox

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2021, 01:51:26 AM »

So, now I'm curious, what wouldn't the S do for you? Would the SD have done it? I've run both boards but I'm quite a bit more familiar with the SD, and my relatively limited time on the S led me to believe that they were just two very different front-ends for pretty similar back-ends, but not in your experience?

(I think your TF comment is spot on. I played around with a floor demo unit while standing in line at a service counter once, and even there it was obvious that it was no LS9.)

-Russ

I needed at least 1 (and really 3) 5.1 surround mix busses to do this job right. And, as it turned out quite a few more input channels. But we got it done and that’s what counts.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2021, 01:51:26 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.