ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Digico s31 noob things to watch out for  (Read 3068 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Digico s31 noob things to watch out for
« on: September 16, 2021, 10:30:09 AM »

I've got a thing that popped up for this weekend where i'll be on a Digico S31.

I have basically NO time on Digico, so I'm looking for any "gotchas" that i should be aware of. I'm thinking specifically of things like "make sure you hit 'save' a lot". Or "setup a preset first before you start working" or whatever. Things to prevent me from getting boned. I'm sure i can figure out how to get audio in and out of the desk and routed and such. I just don't want any show stopping gotchas happening 5 minutes before show time.

Thanks to all!

brian
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Matthias McCready

Re: Digico s31 noob things to watch out for
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 11:08:19 AM »

I have basically NO time on Digico, so I'm looking for any "gotchas" that i should be aware of. I'm thinking specifically of things like "make sure you hit 'save' a lot". Or "setup a preset first before you start working" or whatever. Things to prevent me from getting boned. I'm sure i can figure out how to get audio in and out of the desk and routed and such. I just don't want any show stopping gotchas happening 5 minutes before show time.

Thanks to all!

Brian

There is a lot going on under the hood with a DiGiCo. I run SD consoles, and have never ran an S. Looking at some videos and going through the software for the S it seems to be an easier console to wrangle.

I would make sure to go through your safes/global safes/recall and make sure that is looking as it should.

Remember if you are using Macro's that they override safe's.

I don't see a Solo-in-place button on this console, but if there is one that can be a show-killer at the wrong time, as can copy audio.

It appears to me (from first glance) that this console lays out everything for you, and there is no master channel list like an SD series console.

When running an SD I usually comb through that and if there is something that is not on surface I take a look at it. If it is needed it goes on the surface. if it is not needed I have a preset that zeroes out the values (unroutes input, unroutes groups/CG, Unroutes insert points, unroutes outputs) and then I make sure everything is safed.

I presume there is some sort of crossfade timing for things with snapshots keep that in mind. You can probably make everything the same and adjust as needed for your particular event.

Saving your session is always great, saving to a USB is good too.

All that being said this looks like a much simpler desk than an SD series. It looks, dare I say, walk up friendly!  :)
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 12:32:43 PM »

Thanks to all!

brian

I too am a lightweight on Digico, but I have learned the hard way, Save Your Session! Saving scenes does nothing permanent till you save the session. If you have been saving the scene all day and the console shits the bed you are back to square one. Unlike Yamaha consoles Digico does not return to the last state, you must have a session to reload.

Mac

brian maddox

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 12:46:39 PM »

I too am a lightweight on Digico, but I have learned the hard way, Save Your Session! Saving scenes does nothing permanent till you save the session. If you have been saving the scene all day and the console shits the bed you are back to square one. Unlike Yamaha consoles Digico does not return to the last state, you must have a session to reload.

Mac

THAT'S the stuff i was looking for. THANK YOU!

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Matthias McCready

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 01:47:20 PM »

Mac

Agreed save the session.

As returning to the last state that is probably an option in the settings somewhere. Some DiGiCo's I have run always boot up to an empty default show file, others load what was up prior to shutdown (including unsaved changes).

Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Jonathan Hole

• Sound Resume
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 03:02:13 PM »

Thanks to all!

brian

I mix on S21 twice a week, way prefer SD but that's what this church has.  I disable the forward/back scene control above the master volume if not using scenes/snaps within a set (I do not in this setting) as too easy to hit. 

The solo buttons on the multi-band comp screen by each band ARE Solo in Place and so beware on that. 

I personally lock the right layer on my $ layer with mostly DCA's and let the left (or in your case left two) layers change. Note that layers scroll together otherwise, my biggest peeve as only one layer across button so can't mix and match the 3 layers.  That's why I keep my DCA on top and scroll the left one or two in your case.

Patching fairly similar to SD for most purposes...very easy.

Can program tap delay on lowest bottom knob on right side of displays so don't have to pull up FX screen. But the touch on it can be wonky sometimes so be aware, could have to go to FX rack to tap out what you want.  Not sure if it's finger static, moisture or what, but while handy can take a break on you.

My top left screen has short cuts and big one is the SAVE button so can remember to save on regular basis and update.

If on latest firmware their recent big addition was dynamic EQ and while the UI isn't fabulous IMHO, you can enable it by band across as many channels as you want up to 21 bands, so instead of by slot - so can have 21 channel with 1 band in use if you want.

Most of my issues are for regular use so for walk up you should be fine - for example, no FX library to save your presets or faves, mono matrix and no stereo, etc.

Hope this helps a bit! 

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 05:27:12 PM »

S31 sounds killer, but the UI is «interesting».
Younshould be up and running pretty quick if someone who knows the console can set it up for you and give you a tour around.

+1 on saving your session.
IDK if S31 behaves the same way on reboots as a SD, but I wouldn’t take any chances.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 07:52:35 PM »

As others have mentioned, the S Series is a little more straightforward than the SD Series. Biggest thing to keep in mind is that just because you have removed a channel from the surface doesn't mean that channel is not passing audio somewhere.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 10:06:07 AM »

As others have mentioned, the S Series is a little more straightforward than the SD Series. Biggest thing to keep in mind is that just because you have removed a channel from the surface doesn't mean that channel is not passing audio somewhere.

When this happens it's always a fun problem to try to sort out especially for a non-regular Digico user hired to fill in and run someone else's file. The first time it happened was a real head-scratcher.

brian maddox

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 10:19:23 AM »

This is a MAJOR pet peeve of mine with all of these style consoles and one of the main reasons i prefer Yamaha. IMHO there should ALWAYS be a home base where every path appears, even if it's only accessible through a setup page or whatever.

Thanks to all for the tips. This is gonna be an interesting gig that i wish i could say more about now, but maybe after it's done i'll be able to share. But the short version is i really should be doing this on an SD5 at minimum [or PM5/7 would be my preference] so getting it done on an S31 is gonna be, um, challenging.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 10:19:23 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.