ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down

Author Topic: How Do I Deal With COVID as a Production Business?  (Read 14489 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: How Do I Deal With COVID as a Production Business?
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2021, 10:58:17 PM »

Your anecdotal experience is not "proof" of anything other than you were fortunate to have a mild case.  It's killed 8 people I was personally acquainted with and hospitalized at least a dozen more coworkers and acquaintances, 2 of them TWICE (surviving does not make you immune to reinfection).

I had it in Feb 2020, most likely from working with a Broadway road show where "an illness" went through the cast and crew, hospitalizing one cast member in the city prior to ours.  About a week later I'm getting sick and 2 days later I'm sicker than I recall ever being.  Lost some of my taste/smell but didn't realize it at the time and seriously considered going to the hospital because I was having trouble breathing... wondering who I knew with a albuterol inhaler...

So *MY* anecdote is no less valid than yours, Luke.  If you think it's a joke I invite you to trade places with any one of my late friends.  Tell me then it's bullshit and I'll buy the beer.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Helmke

« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2021, 08:22:50 AM »

I observe the rules and mandates ( sans getting jabbed ) and never got sick. I and my wife went to Ross, which was perhaps the first time in a very long time that the two of us went anywhere together, we both got covid about a week later. We both wore masks, I was a good boy yadda, yadda. That is the only guess I can think of?

Your mask isn't to protect you, it's to protect others in case you are the sick one.  You protect yourself by protecting others, basically.

Most likely you came into contact with somebody who was infected and not wearing a mask.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2021, 02:20:10 PM »

{...} Mandating and giving your staff ultimatums is a quick way to find the ugly way around the legal system. {...}

Culturally, I find this fascinating. Most of the published legal opinions on the subject in Canada (including from organized labour) have concluded that employee vaccine mandates are, at least for the time being, perfectly legal.

{...} And how do we handle folks who have had previous adverse reactions to vaccines? {...}

I'm not sure if this applies the same way in the US or not, but in Canada people who are medically unable to be vaccinated are seen as having a medical disability, and therefore their employer has a duty to accommodate them.

-Russ

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2021, 05:10:04 PM »

We can go back and forth all day about what's right for you and what's right for me, but we will never come to a proper or conclusive answer as to what is right for EVERYONE.

I can ask you to study, read up and look into things that you neglect to do so or even acknowledge. The Remdisivere thing was not even addressed by any of you. I'm not an asshole, I just ask a lot more questions than some of you perhaps? I'm not saying that Remdisivere is the cause of death with some of your friends and family, but there is some concern that should be applied to it. Do your homework. Read beyond what the press tells you.

If the masks don't protect you, the vaccine doesn't 100% protect you and anything else you do is not really solid either, then it can be said that nothing is a magic bullet. The question is then what are we actually clamoring for? In my case, I had good reason to believe that I am not in need of worry about Covid anything. Turns out that is true. That may not be the case for you or others. I respect that, I play by the rules, have been. Our experiences are different for sure, which is to say that the best answer to solve the problem is also not one or the other.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2021, 08:33:48 PM »

I'm not an asshole,
Completely independent of this entire discussion…. where I come from, that’s not a self assigned character trait. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

John Lackner

« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2021, 04:53:39 PM »

Fair point! Here's my reasoning, approximately in order of importance:
  • I wanted to reduce my chances of getting severely ill and/or dying (which vaccines, particularly the mRNA vaccines, have been demonstrated to do, even against Delta)
  • I wanted to reduce my chances of becoming infected and then getting other people infected (because if I don't get infected I can't infect someone else)
  • The demonstrated, increased risks associated with the vaccines (again, particularly the mRNA vaccines) are substantially outweighed their demonstrated benefits (something along the lines of a bookie offering a bet with 1:99 odds but a 9:1 payout)

In truth, as relieved as I felt when I got my shot, my greatest feelings of relief came the day my wife got hers. She was the one I was most likely to pass the virus on to if I had someone gotten infected, so her getting vaccinated meant that my chances of accidentally killing her with COVID-19 dropped to practically nothing.

Typically both (although, to be clear, masking and social distancing isn't nearly 99.99% effective at preventing SARS-CoV-2 transmission, especially indoors).

Your math is right, but your understanding of how probability works isn't. In probability, going from 99% to 99.75% is a massive difference.

If the chances of survival without vaccination are 99%, this means that 1% of people who get infected will die. If a vaccine reduces the likelihood of death by even 50% to produce a survival rate of 99.5%, suddenly only 0.5% of people who get infected will die. If you spread these percentages across the population of the United States, the unvaccinated scenario would result in the deaths of ~3.3 million Americans, while the vaccinated scenario would result in only ~1.7 million deaths (or ~1.6 million fewer than the unvaccinated scenario).

Of course, the real numbers are even more stark: even against Delta, the vaccine is at least 99% effective at preventing death, which increases the survival rate to at least 99.99%. This means that 0.01% will still die, but across the American population this would drop the total number of deaths from ~3.3 million to only ~33,000 people; that's literally 3+ million lives saved. And all this is just for deaths; the vaccines have similar (although lower) effectiveness as preventing infection, illness, and serious illness as well.

-Russ
If everybody had gooten their shots when they first had the chance we could have been done with this by now.
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2021, 11:39:20 PM »

There is ZERO evidence to support that theory though. It is IMPOSSIBLE to even calculate that possibility.

The Big Government wants you to so they can reward you for your good behavior.

Two weeks now post returning to work, no covid cases have been contracted that could even be remotely traced back to me. My circle is rolling all 100's.

If everybody stopped driving, stopped drinking, stopped smoking, stopped everything, we wouldn't have global warming and a death count that is about on par with the current covid numbers. If we stopped doing a lot of things... If we did a lot of things... If we didn't do a lot of things.

Statements such as " If we all just jumped on the wagon " is the polarization we are facing right now. For every single one of you who is adamantly pushing for vaccination, there is just as many saying hell no, and there are always those in the middle, who are the sheep who just do what they are told.

We are now talking about a drug that they want to put in our children to nearly a mandated level, of which when asked what the long-term side effects could be the answer is we don't know, but we will in about 5 years... We are putting a carriage before a horse if we just say F*&k it and go for 100% jab rates.

The evil side of it is that 1% of those who contract may die. We are now finding out that there are possibly deaths that are not even being caused by covid, but by the treatment itself! We are now at a point where it is more about not contracting. I made it two years and caught it from god knows what or who? If I can do that, so can someone who is genuinely at risk and in fear of contraction. Those individuals can choose to stay home, reduce contact, change careers and work at home, a whole plethora of options at their disposal. just as many as those who are not at risk have. It is 50/50.

I guess what I am saying is, WHAT IF, the vaccination turns out to be a much larger problem than what it solves. We already know it doesn't stop contraction, it reduces the chance of it. We already know if it doesn't stop contraction, it only reduces the symptoms, which may lead to you being a super spreader as you run around with limited or no real marked symptoms. Now we have thousands upon thousands running around thinking all is hunky-dory, spreading the virus like it's Christmas spirit and we have no idea what the long-term side effects are. We know people have died from the vaccine, I know of one person directly who ended up with grand-mal seizures from it, and there is now no denying that improper administration of the vaccine has caused blood clots and other complications. A one size fits all solution is not the answer.

And for all that verbiage, all I am saying is you do you. You choose what is best for you, don't tell me what I should do, should have done, or would have been best to have done. I will get there on my own. I got covid, it was easy for me. For some others, it was not easy. My experience does not change my outlook on this situation. It is simple. Follow the guidelines, stay away from people, wear a mask, don't throw parties,  don't go to sporting events, and don't do other things that go against the grain of viral spread. If you want the vaccine, get the vaccine, but do it for you, not for anyone else. Don't preach to others that they are a fool for not jumping on the bandwagon. We don't know enough to prove anything. In 5 years we may. With any luck, it will be positive news... Right now, for ME, the potential downsides of vaccinating severely outweigh getting covid AGAIN. I am not the disease, I am not the cause of the problem, and I am not very keen to being told I am part of the problem. If everyone did exactly what the guidelines say, we would eradicate the Flu..... Oh wait, we did...
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Scott Helmke

« Reply #127 on: October 26, 2021, 08:41:12 AM »

Statements such as " If we all just jumped on the wagon " is the polarization we are facing right now. For every single one of you who is adamantly pushing for vaccination, there is just as many saying hell no, and there are always those in the middle, who are the sheep who just do what they are told.

We are now talking about a drug that they want to put in our children to nearly a mandated level, of which when asked what the long-term side effects could be the answer is we don't know, but we will in about 5 years... We are putting a carriage before a horse if we just say F*&k it and go for 100% jab rates.

This is vaccine misinformation, pure and simple, coupled with a fair bit of crazy-guy-on-the-corner paranoia.

We don't know the long term effects of the disease - we do know that one of the short term effects is an unpleasant death.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2021, 09:41:12 AM »

As a business owner in the industry under discussion I plan to follow the recommendations of the medical professionals hired by our government to study and react to pandemics such as the one we are currently experiencing and I'd suggest other production business owners do much the same.

As a participant in a live audio production forum I'd strongly suggest that all posters avoid postulating their theories on medical does and don'ts unless and until they can also flash their advanced degrees in immunology, virology or public health science along with evidence of their continuing and current participation in those professional disciplines.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #129 on: October 26, 2021, 11:44:23 AM »

As a business owner in the industry under discussion I plan to follow the recommendations of the medical professionals hired by our government to study and react to pandemics such as the one we are currently experiencing and I'd suggest other production business owners do much the same.

As a participant in a live audio production forum I'd strongly suggest that all posters avoid postulating their theories on medical does and don'ts unless and until they can also flash their advanced degrees in immunology, virology or public health science along with evidence of their continuing and current participation in those professional disciplines.

Well said sir!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #129 on: October 26, 2021, 11:44:23 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.