ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: More sub opinions  (Read 12008 times)

Donnie Evans

More sub opinions
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:28:16 AM »

So I'm looking into getting some new subs. My choices aren't necessarily just limited to these three, but this is what I have found recently, all for nearly the same money... either:

4x - JBL SR4719X
-or-
4x - Yorkville TX9
-or-
2x - Danley TH215

I just want to get opinions on these, as I have no personal experience mixing on any of them. That said, here is what i know... the JBL's I have heard plenty of times, and I know if I power them right, I'll be plenty happy. The Yorkville's I've heard once or twice and they sounded pretty good to me, but I realy don't know how they stack up to the SR-X when A/B'd. And the Danley, I've never heard but I know their reputation. Also about the Danley, I would love to be able to have two boxes that will output as much as 4 of the other, but I guess I am being very skeptical on whether 2 boxes can hang with 4. So some of you that have much more experience with any of these boxes, what are your opinions?

George Dougherty

Re: More sub opinions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 01:59:02 AM »

So I'm looking into getting some new subs. My choices aren't necessarily just limited to these three, but this is what I have found recently, all for nearly the same money... either:

4x - JBL SR4719X
-or-
4x - Yorkville TX9
-or-
2x - Danley TH215

I just want to get opinions on these, as I have no personal experience mixing on any of them. That said, here is what i know... the JBL's I have heard plenty of times, and I know if I power them right, I'll be plenty happy. The Yorkville's I've heard once or twice and they sounded pretty good to me, but I realy don't know how they stack up to the SR-X when A/B'd. And the Danley, I've never heard but I know their reputation. Also about the Danley, I would love to be able to have two boxes that will output as much as 4 of the other, but I guess I am being very skeptical on whether 2 boxes can hang with 4. So some of you that have much more experience with any of these boxes, what are your opinions?

I run 2-4 of Bill Fitzmaurice's Titan 48's with an Eminence 15 in them.  From what I've heard, they're not quite the equal of the Danley's not being a tapped horn, but in the 30" width I built, they'll each keep up with a SRX728.  If the Danley are every bit I'm led to believe, yes, two will match four of the other and take less power to do it.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:44:54 AM »

This is my experience. I've used both front loaded and horn loaded subs. Each seems to have their strengths and weaknesses. You must decide which is right for you based on your usage.

Horn loaded subs are very efficient but they tend to be very hot at their resonant frequency. Some call it "one note bass" because one frequency seems to dominate the room far more than the others. Although EQ tweaks can help to control this. Horn loaded subs seem better suited for long-throw, outdoor events.

Front loaded subs are not as efficient but they tend to sound more smooth and natural. Thus, it takes twice as many to keep up with the system. Front loaded subs may be better suited for short-throw, smaller indoor events.
Member since 2005.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:08:20 AM »

This is my experience. I've used both front loaded and horn loaded subs. Each seems to have their strengths and weaknesses. You must decide which is right for you based on your usage.

Horn loaded subs are very efficient but they tend to be very hot at their resonant frequency. Some call it "one note bass" because one frequency seems to dominate the room far more than the others. Although EQ tweaks can help to control this. Horn loaded subs seem better suited for long-throw, outdoor events.

Front loaded subs are not as efficient but they tend to sound more smooth and natural. Thus, it takes twice as many to keep up with the system. Front loaded subs may be better suited for short-throw, smaller indoor events.
I would not throw all horn loaded subs into the same "pot".  Yes there are the classic "one note bass" cabients that were designed to get loud around a certain freq, but then there are others that have a much smoother response.

Why do you think horn loaded subs are better for longer "throws" and front loaded is better for smaller rooms?

Agreed there are advantages and disadvantages to each type-but the points you have made are not regarding that.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Donnie Evans

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 09:49:09 AM »

I would not throw all horn loaded subs into the same "pot".  Yes there are the classic "one note bass" cabients that were designed to get loud around a certain freq, but then there are others that have a much smoother response.

Why do you think horn loaded subs are better for longer "throws" and front loaded is better for smaller rooms?

Agreed there are advantages and disadvantages to each type-but the points you have made are not regarding that.

The subs I'll be replacing are 2 older Yorkville (SW900 i think is the model).  They are single 18 horn loaded in pretty big cabinets... (older version of the LS1208, just with weaker drivers).  They do ok for what we do, outdoors they do work well at distance, but I dont know if its them being a horn loaded cabinet, or just not a good enough speaker, but they really lack the punch I'm looking for.  That's another reason I'm looking at the front loaded boxes also. 

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 11:02:53 AM »

They do ok for what we do, outdoors they do work well at distance, but I dont know if its them being a horn loaded cabinet, or just not a good enough speaker, but they really lack the punch I'm looking for.  That's another reason I'm looking at the front loaded boxes also.
Things work well at a distance because they are loud enough at 1 meter. It is just Physics.

Good horns have less distortion than some popular front loaded boxes and tend to "sound softer" up front. Our ears hear the distortion as loudness sometime. Also, for some music choices, we are accustomed to the sound of the distortion so when it isn't there it doesn't sound right.

My personal experience has been that with a single sub (JTR Growler horn loaded) per side, it is hard to get the "punch" but with either a pair or more clustered I have no problem.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Donnie Evans

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 02:13:28 PM »

Things work well at a distance because they are loud enough at 1 meter. It is just Physics.

Good horns have less distortion than some popular front loaded boxes and tend to "sound softer" up front. Our ears hear the distortion as loudness sometime. Also, for some music choices, we are accustomed to the sound of the distortion so when it isn't there it doesn't sound right.

My personal experience has been that with a single sub (JTR Growler horn loaded) per side, it is hard to get the "punch" but with either a pair or more clustered I have no problem.

I try to center mine whenever I can.  Sometimes it's just not possible though and I know it would be better to put both on one side of stage but it's also the aesthetics of it, the band can't fathom the idea of it sounding right with both subs on one side... and they are also the perfect height to get my tops where I like them and I have nothing else to raise one top where I want it if I was to put both on a single side.

Bennett Prescott

• This text is personal!
    • Bennett Prescott Dot Com
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 03:16:08 PM »

Yeah, that's why all the arena tours are using only horn subs.

...Not.
-- Bennett Prescott
Sales & Operations Director
B&C Speakers NA
Cell: +1 (518) 488-7190

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 03:30:34 PM »

NOTE TO SELF: Don't tell anymore newbies what my experience has been. Others don't like it if it not the same as theirs.
Member since 2005.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »

NOTE TO SELF: Don't tell anymore newbies what my experience has been. Others don't like it if it not the same as theirs.

Dear self:

If you're implying that Ivan is a noob you couldn't be wronger.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.