ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dbx AFS2 Feedback Suppressor...has anyone experience with one, any good?  (Read 1078 times)

simonmccaffrey

Particular use is just for stage monitors in a bar with musicians that mix themselves and don't really know what they are doing...I was thinking set it up once myself with a 58 and the monitors, and then lock it away in the rack and hope the live filters would adjust forevermore...well I wouldn't expect magic, but would it help alleviate problems, or at least stop things getting really out of hand?

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Re: dbx AFS2 Feedback Suppressor...has anyone experience with one, any good?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 09:23:00 PM »

Particular use is just for stage monitors in a bar with musicians that mix themselves and don't really know what they are doing...I was thinking set it up once myself with a 58 and the monitors, and then lock it away in the rack and hope the live filters would adjust forevermore...well I wouldn't expect magic, but would it help alleviate problems, or at least stop things getting really out of hand?

I have one that I used to use for ballroom events where the emcees were always on the dance floor in front of the mains. I'd notch the first couple of fb frequencies for the duration of the gig then set up a few roaming filters that would release after 30 seconds or so. It worked very well for that scenario.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Lee Wright

• www.sydneypahire.com.au
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 05:20:45 AM »

I had one till it died (it was quite old when I got it).   Yes it worked well.   They're a nice simple solution. As another poster said, I just notch out 3 or 4 bands prior to sound check then set it auto.   

Martin Morris

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 05:43:57 AM »

Can't comment on the dbx - There's another thread that discussed this topic.

I've used the Biamp Nexia's in an install with great success. As an idiot proof solution I'd say yes.

The nice feature with the Biamp DSP is as it approaches feedback it compresses the signal RATHER THAN KEEP FEEDING - the drivers are safe !!! and then does a cut or two, depending on how many filters you've set up.

The Nexia's can be had on ebay for cheap. There's logic I/O's too so you can set up external control in the logic to bypass them - RESET - if required and also set presets to reduce level etc - no computer required !

Cheers
Martin
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 06:21:02 AM by Martin Morris »
Dude told me to "go back to where I came from", so I set my tent up on his front lawn ... (unnamed Indian)

simonmccaffrey

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 04:52:28 PM »

Cheers for the replies...think I'll give it a try.

simonmccaffrey

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 04:56:24 PM »

Can't comment on the dbx - There's another thread that discussed this topic.

I've used the Biamp Nexia's in an install with great success. As an idiot proof solution I'd say yes.

The nice feature with the Biamp DSP is as it approaches feedback it compresses the signal RATHER THAN KEEP FEEDING - the drivers are safe !!! and then does a cut or two, depending on how many filters you've set up.

The Nexia's can be had on ebay for cheap. There's logic I/O's too so you can set up external control in the logic to bypass them - RESET - if required and also set presets to reduce level etc - no computer required !

Cheers
Martin

I had a quick look at that...it sounds more orientated towards conferencing...

Martin Morris

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 11:04:11 PM »

I had a quick look at that...it sounds more orientated towards conferencing...

There are many models and yes some are geared towards conference but all of them can be programmed to do anything ... x overs - Eq - comp/limiters - matrixes - plus a lot of logic control.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402993421078?hash=item5dd4479b16:g:eH4AAOSw9Tpg70SU

Edit - link added

Cheers
Martin
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 11:07:58 PM by Martin Morris »
Dude told me to "go back to where I came from", so I set my tent up on his front lawn ... (unnamed Indian)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 11:04:11 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.