ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CNC Foam Equipment Inserts  (Read 2138 times)

Scott Hofmann

CNC Foam Equipment Inserts
« on: September 15, 2021, 05:40:24 PM »

I had a friend CNC router these foam drawer inserts for 3 high school auditorium sound system renovations.
Spec'd a really nice Harbor Freight rolling tool cabinet to put the inserts in.
When an item is removed, the bottom red foam shows up indicating it is missing.
But you know what happens when you try to make something "foolproof".
Made sure he charged the project enough to cover his learning curve time as well as actual labor.
Scott Hofmann

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: CNC Foam Equipment Inserts
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 09:22:36 PM »

Very nice.  I have two Harbor Freight "US General" tool boxes in my home shop.  One is a reworked mechanics tool cart that I only used the case/drawers that sits under the lathe for tooling.  The other is a multi-drawer rolling chest that holds heavy lathe and mill accessories and C clamps.  They are both decent boxes for the money.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 10:00:27 AM by Steve-White »

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 10:41:53 PM »

Very awesome.

What tools are needed and where do you get the foam?
Brian Jojade

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 12:45:21 AM »

Very awesome.

What tools are needed and where do you get the foam?

The 1" thick blue and 1/4" thick red "cross-linked polyethylene" foam was obtained from Allied Foam Fabricators in Oklahoma City. Very good people to work with. Lisa is the best! She made the suggestion of which type of foam to use and of using a contrasting color for the bottom layer, something I would not have thought of. The larger drawers of the tool cabinets were quite large at 36.75" wide by 19.5" deep. We did 5 of those drawers plus one drawer 19.5" wide by 11.875" deep for each of the 3 tool carts. So actually came to about $500 worth of foam. The remainder of the drawers were used to store mic cables, power cords, etc.

My friend's CNC router is an entry level machine with about a 36" x 48" table. He experimented with several kinds of router bits and ended up with a specific type made for foam cutting. He devoted a lot of time measuring all the equipment, programming the software, and testing feed rates and bit speeds for his first attempt at routing foam.
He ended up buying some foam himself and making drawer inserts for some of his shop tool cabinets!
Scott Hofmann

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 11:07:45 PM »

The 1" thick blue and 1/4" thick red "cross-linked polyethylene" foam was obtained from Allied Foam Fabricators in Oklahoma City. Very good people to work with. Lisa is the best! She made the suggestion of which type of foam to use and of using a contrasting color for the bottom layer, something I would not have thought of. The larger drawers of the tool cabinets were quite large at 36.75" wide by 19.5" deep. We did 5 of those drawers plus one drawer 19.5" wide by 11.875" deep for each of the 3 tool carts. So actually came to about $500 worth of foam. The remainder of the drawers were used to store mic cables, power cords, etc.

My friend's CNC router is an entry level machine with about a 36" x 48" table. He experimented with several kinds of router bits and ended up with a specific type made for foam cutting. He devoted a lot of time measuring all the equipment, programming the software, and testing feed rates and bit speeds for his first attempt at routing foam.
He ended up buying some foam himself and making drawer inserts for some of his shop tool cabinets!

Hey Scott can you find out the exact router he has and what bit he used?  I to have a friend with a CNC router and your post (beautiful product & execution BTW) has given me ideas.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 03:28:14 PM »

Hey Scott can you find out the exact router he has and what bit he used?  I to have a friend with a CNC router and your post (beautiful product & execution BTW) has given me ideas.

Thanks for the compliment!
My friend said he has a Shapeoko 3 XXL machine and used the Amana Tool - HSS1611 bit to do the cutting, which can be purchased from Amazon.
Scott Hofmann

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 10:26:14 PM »

There are a couple of people in my small town making similar product using waterjets (targeting mechanics tools).  Admittedly waterjets are harder to come by and machine time is probably pricier-but its an option that is out there.  In most cases they can work off a .dxf file, so it is possible for you to do your own layout.

I haven't seen the two tone before though-that is a definite improvement.
Steve Swaffer

Martin Morris

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 06:09:55 PM »

Quote from:  Stephen

I haven't seen the two tone before though-that is a definite improvement.
[/quote

Saw the two tone on a few tours in the 90's - during pack out the case wasnt closed and sealed until all compartments  were full ... nothing was ever left behind..

Cheers
Martin
Dude told me to "go back to where I came from", so I set my tent up on his front lawn ... (unnamed Indian)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 06:09:55 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.