Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

CNC Foam Equipment Inserts

(1/2) > >>

Scott Hofmann:
I had a friend CNC router these foam drawer inserts for 3 high school auditorium sound system renovations.
Spec'd a really nice Harbor Freight rolling tool cabinet to put the inserts in.
When an item is removed, the bottom red foam shows up indicating it is missing.
But you know what happens when you try to make something "foolproof".
Made sure he charged the project enough to cover his learning curve time as well as actual labor.

Steve-White:
Very nice.  I have two Harbor Freight "US General" tool boxes in my home shop.  One is a reworked mechanics tool cart that I only used the case/drawers that sits under the lathe for tooling.  The other is a multi-drawer rolling chest that holds heavy lathe and mill accessories and C clamps.  They are both decent boxes for the money.

Brian Jojade:
Very awesome.

What tools are needed and where do you get the foam?

Scott Hofmann:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on September 15, 2021, 10:41:53 PM ---Very awesome.

What tools are needed and where do you get the foam?

--- End quote ---

The 1" thick blue and 1/4" thick red "cross-linked polyethylene" foam was obtained from Allied Foam Fabricators in Oklahoma City. Very good people to work with. Lisa is the best! She made the suggestion of which type of foam to use and of using a contrasting color for the bottom layer, something I would not have thought of. The larger drawers of the tool cabinets were quite large at 36.75" wide by 19.5" deep. We did 5 of those drawers plus one drawer 19.5" wide by 11.875" deep for each of the 3 tool carts. So actually came to about $500 worth of foam. The remainder of the drawers were used to store mic cables, power cords, etc.

My friend's CNC router is an entry level machine with about a 36" x 48" table. He experimented with several kinds of router bits and ended up with a specific type made for foam cutting. He devoted a lot of time measuring all the equipment, programming the software, and testing feed rates and bit speeds for his first attempt at routing foam.
He ended up buying some foam himself and making drawer inserts for some of his shop tool cabinets!

Erik Jerde:

--- Quote from: Scott Hofmann on September 16, 2021, 12:45:21 AM ---The 1" thick blue and 1/4" thick red "cross-linked polyethylene" foam was obtained from Allied Foam Fabricators in Oklahoma City. Very good people to work with. Lisa is the best! She made the suggestion of which type of foam to use and of using a contrasting color for the bottom layer, something I would not have thought of. The larger drawers of the tool cabinets were quite large at 36.75" wide by 19.5" deep. We did 5 of those drawers plus one drawer 19.5" wide by 11.875" deep for each of the 3 tool carts. So actually came to about $500 worth of foam. The remainder of the drawers were used to store mic cables, power cords, etc.

My friend's CNC router is an entry level machine with about a 36" x 48" table. He experimented with several kinds of router bits and ended up with a specific type made for foam cutting. He devoted a lot of time measuring all the equipment, programming the software, and testing feed rates and bit speeds for his first attempt at routing foam.
He ended up buying some foam himself and making drawer inserts for some of his shop tool cabinets!

--- End quote ---

Hey Scott can you find out the exact router he has and what bit he used?  I to have a friend with a CNC router and your post (beautiful product & execution BTW) has given me ideas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version