ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Setup for Mobile Board Meeting-House and Streaming Audio  (Read 2578 times)

Chris Phillips

Audio Setup for Mobile Board Meeting-House and Streaming Audio
« on: September 13, 2021, 02:07:08 PM »

The meetings of the school board I work with is usually done at the city council chambers. An installed system is used and works fine. Recently, the board has decided to have some meetings on location at some of the schools. In the past, the AV person has used a bulky extremely long microphone snake. We will be soon using an Analog over CAT5 to take the place of the snake (Neither digital nor wireless microphones are an option), however my main question is regarding the sound setup that leads to the house sound and the audio for streaming.

Currently, there are 12 Astatic gooseneck microphones placed on stage that input into the snake, and it leads 60 Ft to a mobile rack with customized XLR input panels.

The outputs of each XLR in the panel connects, via Phoenix connector to 12 microphone inputs of two Shure SCM 810 Automatic mixers that are linked together with one of those mixers controlling all the output.

The output of the Automatic Mixer feeds to a line input on a Yamaha MG16XU. The main output of the MG16XU goes to house sound and an aux output is sent to a Teradek VidiU Go Streaming device. The reason for using the Yamaha Mixer is to have individual control of the feed going to the streaming device. The Automatic Mixer only has the single output.

Because the output from the mixer is balanced and the input to the VidiU Go only takes an unbalanced line input, an ART Accessories Clean Box Pro is used and clears up the balanced/unbalanced issue.

The automatic mixer levels have been set based on the individual characteristics of the board members, however if adjustments needed to be made, they are made on the corresponding individual channel of the auto mixer.

I am trying to determine if the sound configuration for House and Streaming audio can be consolidated.  Do I really need to include the bigger main mixer to this? I was thinking about connecting a  1 U two channel DBX 266XL Compressor to the chain. The feed would be output from the auto mixer and split to Ch 1 and Ch 2 XLR Inputs of the compressor. set the levels for each input channel and output channel 1 to the house and channel 2 to the input of the VidiU Go streaming device. This would enable me to have the entire audio portion for these board meetings to be contained to one rack.

I would appreciate any input and or suggestions. Thank you so much!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Audio Setup for Mobile Board Meeting-House and Streaming Audio
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 08:28:33 PM »

If you use 12 mics on the stage you will not be able to use an ANALOG cat5 snake unless it's a bundle of three cat 5 cables that break out into the IO boxes.

60 feet or so of a 12 channel old fashioned copper snake it not so bad to pack up and carry around.

For the mixer end of things look at an the Allen QU SB, or QU Pac, they have a very good built in auto mix function along with every bit of output routing and processing you would need all for less than what the pair of SCM 810 cost you.

You do need to operate either of those with an iPad, you can operate the QU Pac from the
front panel if needed.

With the remote operation function you may not actually need the snake, set the mixer at the stage and directly connect the mics to it.

How many of these remote meetings will there be? Maybe just hire in production for those.

Chris Phillips

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 11:51:21 PM »

If you use 12 mics on the stage you will not be able to use an ANALOG cat5 snake unless it's a bundle of three cat 5 cables that break out into the IO boxes.

60 feet or so of a 12 channel old fashioned copper snake it not so bad to pack up and carry around.

For the mixer end of things look at an the Allen QU SB, or QU Pac, they have a very good built in auto mix function along with every bit of output routing and processing you would need all for less than what the pair of SCM 810 cost you.

You do need to operate either of those with an iPad, you can operate the QU Pac from the
front panel if needed.

With the remote operation function you may not actually need the snake, set the mixer at the stage and directly connect the mics to it.

How many of these remote meetings will there be? Maybe just hire in production for those.

Thank you for the response. We are using 3 CAT Boxes that will connect to jacks on stage and long run 3 CAT5 cables to FOH and input into a CAT Rack. We already have the Automatic Mixers and will have to use them. The CAT Rack will contain outputs that will input into the Automatic Mixers.
My main question is do you think I still need to use the main mixer or do you think if we use a compressor, we can use one channel output for House and the other output to the stream. I anticipate we will end up permanently at the schools, but unfortunately it may or may not be permanent at a specific school.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 07:22:58 AM »

The Yamaha mixer is big piece to carry around just to use one input and two outputs.
A compressor would help on the live stream and some on the house feed. I take it you would Y the output of the master SCM810 to feed both channels of the compressor and then use on channel for streaming and the other for the house.

Depending on the house system you may still need a form of EQ to touch a few things up using the gooseneck mics.

Chris Phillips

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 12:35:32 PM »

"I take it you would Y the output of the master SCM810 to feed both channels of the compressor and then use on channel for streaming and the other for the house."
Yes, exactly that. Thank you, you make sense regarding the EQ.

In lieu of the 266XL, I know we do have a DBX Drive Rack PA2 in inventory.  I'm thinking that may work better. We can use the RTA mic for optimization. I need to look, but I'm not sure if you can set each channel up independently. Even if that is not possible, would you think this would be a better option? I will definitely look at the mixers you suggested, but I know at this point I am going to have to use what is in inventory.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 01:18:22 PM »

The DR PA2 will offer more control than a 266XL.  You can use the output parametric eq and processing for the FOH and not interfere with the live feed.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 08:12:36 PM »

The latest version Drive Rack PA2 is not so bad, the IO routing is still locked down though.
Use the iPad APP to operate it.

Don't assume that the built in RTA auto EQ function is a magic fix all, actually for what you are doing don't even use it.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 09:11:17 PM »

Yes, IO routing is locked down.  So, definitely don't use the front end eq or really any front end processing.  Else what you do to FOH will also be applied to the live feed.

If you use the output processing it will work fine.  Be sure and flatten the graphic on the input side.

Chris Phillips

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 08:36:48 AM »

I do have a Drive Rack 260 in stock. In going over the specs, it seems that each channel can be controlled independently. When I get to the setup of everything, I will most likely be asking you all for help. I have the PA2 as the loudspeaker management system for our Middle and High Schools, but have been mostly using the Wizard using only two full range speakers running mono and the RTA. Very basic.

Setting the outputs for house and also for as a feed for a streaming device is something new. I'm more than willing to do this manually and very excited to learn outside of my comfort zone of the setup wizard. I really appreciate everyone's help and so glad to find this forum.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 02:04:02 PM »

The 260 is fine and the IO is fully open to route as needed.

There is no APP control for the 260, you'll need to download the Driveware software
from the DBX website to a PC.
Connection from the PC to the 260 uses RS232, you'll either need an older PC that still has a built in RS232 port or use a USB to RS232 adapter, not all adapter will work.
I keep an old lap top with an RS232 port going just for that reason.

You will also need to use a RS232 null modem / crossover cable to make the connection a straight through cable will not work.

Setting the 260 using the software interface is much easier than doing it all on the units from panel.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 02:04:02 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 24 queries.