Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Venue remodel: Power

<< < (2/2)

dave briar:
Thanks y’all. Yes, we were aware that a 200amp service can have more than 200amps of breakers — the mentioned ten 20amp circuits was just how the preliminary numbers worked out. Extremely unlikely that all ten would ever be loaded to their maximum at one time.

Brian, your point about an act having everything prewired to their distro is something that I hadn’t considered. Thanks for the heads up on that.

I spoke with the electrician and the owner today and adding a 50amp outlet is a go.  Would prefer not to have to install multiple outlet-form-factors so maybe a twist lock and then provide an adapter to 14-50?

Brian Adams:

--- Quote from: dave briar on September 13, 2021, 07:23:53 PM ---Thanks y’all. Yes, we were aware that a 200amp service can have more than 200amps of breakers — the mentioned ten 20amp circuits was just how the preliminary numbers worked out. Extremely unlikely that all ten would ever be loaded to their maximum at one time.

Brian, your point about an act having everything prewired to their distro is something that I hadn’t considered. Thanks for the heads up on that.

I spoke with the electrician and the owner today and adding a 50amp outlet is a go.  Would prefer not to have to install multiple outlet-form-factors so maybe a twist lock and then provide an adapter to 14-50?

--- End quote ---

I would just install a 14-50. They're a lot cheaper and easier to source, and anyone who's using a California connector will have an adapter to get into a 14-50.

That's my opinion, and all of my distros and cables all have California connectors.

That said, I doubt it'll get used much, but it's a nice option to have.

Also, as noted previously, put in plenty of circuits, not just 10, but label them all really well so you know which outlet is on which breaker. And feel free to have a couple of outlets per circuit.

One other thought, most bands are probably going to be fine with your FOH system. The audio gear they're likely bring would their own stage package and IEM rig, which isn't going to take a ton of power. There's a small chance they'd bring a big power hungry wedge/sidefill package, but I'd say those chances are slim and going down by the day. In the future, they're more likely to be bringing a lighting package, video system, or LED wall that might need a lot of juice, and those are the kinds of things I'd plan for. A cam disconnect wouldn't be a bad idea, or at least lugs, especially if it's a 3-phase panel.

Stephen Swaffer:

--- Quote from: dave briar on September 13, 2021, 07:23:53 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Where will that adapter be the first time you need it in two years?  A second form factor is a breeze while the electrician is standing there with his tools.

Brian Jojade:

--- Quote from: Stephen Swaffer on September 14, 2021, 01:03:37 PM ---Where will that adapter be the first time you need it in two years?  A second form factor is a breeze while the electrician is standing there with his tools.

--- End quote ---

+1

If you can cover the basic potential connections people want without any adaptors, that's the ideal scenario.

You haven't specified yet though if you're dealing with single phase or 3 phase power.  If you have 3 phase power, having connections available for the single phase distros as well as the 3 phase distros would be the cat's meow.  Now you're covered for anyone that may stroll into the venue and need to tie in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version