ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Multiple Highpacks  (Read 2429 times)

Kevin Michael

Using Multiple Highpacks
« on: September 10, 2021, 10:33:35 AM »

Hi All,

My band currently plays a number of different places of various size/shapes.  We have a Turbosound PA system with 4 x IQ12 high packs and 2 x IQ 18 subs that we use at most places.  Right now we have K&M bars for the high packs that allow us to pole mount 2 of the IQ12s over a single IQ18 sub utilizing the existing pole mount hole in the high pack, so we run 2 high packs and 1 sub per side.  For the most part it covers well, and sounds good, but I'm curious if anyone else is using multiple speakers of this style or even multiple IQ12s per side, and how they splay them out?  Any links on good videos or articles on the topic would also be appreciated.

Thanks!
Kevin

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Using Multiple Highpacks
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 12:38:11 AM »

Hi All,

My band currently plays a number of different places of various size/shapes.  We have a Turbosound PA system with 4 x IQ12 high packs and 2 x IQ 18 subs that we use at most places.  Right now we have K&M bars for the high packs that allow us to pole mount 2 of the IQ12s over a single IQ18 sub utilizing the existing pole mount hole in the high pack, so we run 2 high packs and 1 sub per side.  For the most part it covers well, and sounds good, but I'm curious if anyone else is using multiple speakers of this style or even multiple IQ12s per side, and how they splay them out?  Any links on good videos or articles on the topic would also be appreciated.

Thanks!
Kevin

IQ12's are not designed for this purpose,  nor is any trap box.  They are SOS boxes (sound on a stick) not "high packs" or part of any arrayable system.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Kevin Michael

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 11:17:05 AM »

IQ12's are not designed for this purpose,  nor is any trap box.  They are SOS boxes (sound on a stick) not "high packs" or part of any arrayable system.
Thanks, this aligns with what i was guessing based on lack of finding anything.  The reality is the IQ's are fine for the first 20 feet of most rooms but fall off pretty fast after that and just 4 boxes (2 and 2) isn't enough to cover most places we play at a reasonable volume.  We also have the complication of floating between a lot of different room layouts and even outdoor venues, but not really making enough to rent a PA for each gig, we prefer to onw and run our own systems.  We're also silent stage with IEMs so covering up close and even on the sides of the stage gets tricky.   Thoughts on better systems for a bar band system that we can add additional cabinets to when needed?  I've looked at the QSC KLA stuff and RCF stuff but we're not going to have 4 or 5 boxes per side so not really thinking a line array is the best choice. 

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 01:02:05 PM »

Budget?
Largest venue?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Kevin Michael

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 01:11:56 PM »

Budget?
Largest venue?
$1500-2000 ish per box (more for the subs), must be powered.  Generally largest venue will be outdoor restaurant/bar that holds about 350 people, any larger festivals or the like we would send a mix to the event provided system.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 09:38:38 PM »

We also have the complication of floating between a lot of different room layouts and even outdoor venues, but not really making enough to rent a PA for each gig, we prefer to onw and run our own systems. 

If you can't afford to rent the appropriate gear for shows, how can you expect to own enough variety of gear to cover different spaces?

Reality is, different sized events may demand different sized gear.  In a tiny bar, line arrays are silly, but for an outdoor festival, that small point source box isn't going to do anywhere near enough for you.
Brian Jojade

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 10:25:39 PM »

If you can't afford to rent the appropriate gear for shows, how can you expect to own enough variety of gear to cover different spaces?

Reality is, different sized events may demand different sized gear.  In a tiny bar, line arrays are silly, but for an outdoor festival, that small point source box isn't going to do anywhere near enough for you.

Brian is right, many have tried, all have failed.  There is no such thing as a scalable system.  If you get a puny little line array that would work great in a bar it won't be big enough for outdoor rock shows, just little corporate shows.  You may get some modularity out of subs but they will be too heavy for the clubs and a pain. 

Please explain to me how you don't have enough money to rent for the big gigs.  Here is something I learned the hard way trying to do what you are doing.  If you are doing a large show that needs a big PA, and you can't cross rent and make money you are not charging enough.  I make basically the same renting or if I provide the rig because once you get big enough to do outdoor events and you do a good job you will get more calls to do more than one on the same date or even bigger opportunities.  If you don't have a relationship with a production company that considers you and ankle biter and gives you good rates to rent gear go foster one.  It's the best move you will ever make.  If you do a great job (know your shit, don't be a dick) they will toss scraps at you that will be incredible gigs they don't even want to bother with. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 10:25:39 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.