ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Distro, Spider,....Stage Power  (Read 5275 times)

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
Distro, Spider,....Stage Power
« on: September 08, 2021, 08:04:59 AM »

I run and play in a small band with powered QSC speakers, 4 subs, mains, and monitors.  Usually a small light rig also.  I have showed up at some gigs this summer where I have to scramble at times to get safe power to the stage.  At a couple of parks, they had a 50 amp service close to the stage and we had to find a spider box to get 110 power.  What distro or spider box to guy recommend for these types of venues?  TIA

Steve Crump

Re: Distro, Spider,....Stage Power
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 09:41:07 AM »

I run and play in a small band with powered QSC speakers, 4 subs, mains, and monitors.  Usually a small light rig also.  I have showed up at some gigs this summer where I have to scramble at times to get safe power to the stage.  At a couple of parks, they had a 50 amp service close to the stage and we had to find a spider box to get 110 power.  What distro or spider box to guy recommend for these types of venues?  TIA

Www.lexproducts.com

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000289AQK/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 09:51:31 AM »

If you only need this a few times a year rent something like this along with the appropriate* power cable from Sunbelt or your local industrial equipment rental house. The trick of course is that 'appropriate' cable. The 50 amp 'California plug' is something of a standard these days but you can't be sure that's what the venue de jour has installed without checking first.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-Wiremold-50-Amp-125-Volt-250-Volt-Spider-Box-Temporary-Power-Distribution-Unit-with-12-GFCI-Outlets-XDU50A/316259485

* https://www.lockingpowercords.com/category/31-hubbell-50a-twist-lock.aspx

Lou Kohley

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 12:36:41 PM »

I have this one.
https://www.indu-electric.com/products/power-distribution/lunch-box-series/
FB-F5-PT-03

I've had it for about 5 years. Works great and very compact.
No GFCI though.

LOU

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 12:54:06 PM »

I agree with the "rent it" idea. You don't want to sink thousands into something you only need twice a year. If you rent it you can just pass that cost on to the client. If they balk at it give them the opportunity to rent the same thing. You need power on stage that is obvious. Make it their problem.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 01:35:10 PM »

Those ugly spider boxes with GFCI are always a problem in my experience. I won't use them or touch them. The Indu Electric Lunch boxes are the bee's Knees though! Takes a while to get them made, but worth the price tag ( honestly not too bad considering ). You want the FB-F5-PT-03 model for reference. Last I checked they were about $500.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Kirk Olson

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 03:06:36 PM »

Another vote for Lex.  I use the PRM3KN-9CC 50amp rackmount distro.  I have it in a rack with my board stagebox, and a few other rack items.  Just be sure to have a few pigtails converting various 50 amp plugs for the other end of your cable.....California connector and NEMA 14-50 are the most common in my area.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 04:36:44 PM »

GFCIs are required by code for outdoor use throughout the US. One look from an electrical inspector and it's show over til the distro is swapped out.

Those ugly spider boxes with GFCI are always a problem in my experience. I won't use them or touch them. The Indu Electric Lunch boxes are the bee's Knees though! Takes a while to get them made, but worth the price tag ( honestly not too bad considering ). You want the FB-F5-PT-03 model for reference. Last I checked they were about $500.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 04:43:03 PM »

Another vote for Lex.  I use the PRM3KN-9CC 50amp rackmount distro.  I have it in a rack with my board stagebox, and a few other rack items.  Just be sure to have a few pigtails converting various 50 amp plugs for the other end of your cable.....California connector and NEMA 14-50 are the most common in my area.

I was going to make that point, after a few years you will get quite a collection of punts so you will be ready to deal with anything.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Crump

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 05:20:30 PM »

The model already has the cord connection.

https://www.amazon.com/CEP-Construction-Electrical-Products-6508GU/dp/B00MOGMYKW/ref=sr_1_12?crid=1A68EHWK2TXKT&dchild=1&keywords=temporary+power+distribution+box&qid=1631135895&sprefix=temporary+power+%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-12

Kurt J Nemer

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 06:25:03 PM »

If you go the spider box route, make sure to check that the 20 amp 120 volt circuits use a straight blade connector, many use a twist lock.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2021, 07:01:29 PM »

I agree with the "rent it" idea. You don't want to sink thousands into something you only need twice a year. If you rent it you can just pass that cost on to the client. If they balk at it give them the opportunity to rent the same thing. You need power on stage that is obvious. Make it their problem.

If you're spending thousands on a spider box, you're probably buying the wrong stuff.  This is an item that costs hundreds, not thousands.

But yeah, this type of things definitely should be a separate line item on the invoice.  Using it twice a year, it may take a while to recoup the cost, but stuff like this can last you decades.
Brian Jojade

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2021, 07:38:38 AM »

Thanks for the tips guys!  While I appreciate to the rackmount unit, not sure I want to drag it around if I don't need it for the current gig.

I just emailed them about a quote.  Would you care to elaborate on your comments about GFCI's?  Typically I would use this box outdoors and the GFCI's could come in handy unless they trip for some unknown reason?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 07:41:08 AM by Mark Norgren »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2021, 10:57:44 AM »

If you're spending thousands on a spider box, you're probably buying the wrong stuff.  This is an item that costs hundreds, not thousands.

But yeah, this type of things definitely should be a separate line item on the invoice.  Using it twice a year, it may take a while to recoup the cost, but stuff like this can last you decades.

I'm just having PTSD about the last time I priced copper. I can imagine that a spider box, 100 feet of CS-plugged 6/4 and some quads would easily add up to probably the 2000 range. But again, I'm out of the game now and don't have to worry about what Copper costs!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mal Brown

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2021, 08:10:44 AM »

I bought a Leviton 'The Box' GFCI in good shape for $225 (Craigslist, Tools).   100' of Southwire cable with CA style connectors - Amazon was cheapest.  $350 when I bought.  Got an oven range plug to CA 15 for at ACE for (I'm old and forget...)  works great didn't cost an arm and a leg.  No trip to rent/return.  There are maybe 4 venues in my area and several unimproved sites where I use a tow in gennie with it.  I comp sides it an important piece to have in my kit, for either band or sound co use.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Brian Jojade

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2021, 10:49:28 AM »

100' of Southwire cable with CA style connectors - Amazon was cheapest.  $350 when I bought.

Copper is about double that right now.

Still, the OP stated that the 50 amp plugs are close to the stage, so a long heavy piece of cable wouldn't be necessary.

For reference, Sunbelt rents 50' 6/4 cables for $30/day, or $79 for a week.  Spiderbox rental is $65/day or $160/week. And all they need to do is put it on the counter for the customer to pick up.  Think about that detail the next time you quote your project.  The little things add up!

Yes, for something like this that lasts pretty much forever, even if you use it twice a year, it makes sense to own.  Renting it out twice a year would have a payout in 5 years, but it would last many many more years than that.

Power is NOT something you should be scrambling to get together. This should ALWAYS be discussed before hand and specified in the contract.  If you get there and what's specified isn't, then additional charges for the additional equipment to get the job done are justified.
Brian Jojade

Mal Brown

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2021, 12:28:41 AM »

Still, the OP stated that the 50 amp plugs are close to the stage, so a long heavy piece of cable wouldn't be necessary.

on my plate is bracing the 100 into a  70 and a 30 and getting an in-line connector..  The 100 is a beast but... every once in a while I need the full length.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2021, 12:43:31 AM »

For reference, Sunbelt rents 50' 6/4 cables for $30/day, or $79 for a week.  Spiderbox rental is $65/day or $160/week. And all they need to do is put it on the counter for the customer to pick up.  Think about that detail the next time you quote your project.  The little things add up!

Yes, for something like this that lasts pretty much forever, even if you use it twice a year, it makes sense to own.  Renting it out twice a year would have a payout in 5 years, but it would last many many more years than that.

Power is NOT something you should be scrambling to get together. This should ALWAYS be discussed before hand and specified in the contract.  If you get there and what's specified isn't, then additional charges for the additional equipment to get the job done are justified.

Yeah when I was still running bar gigs I remember I had a "rate" with a band and they tried to slip in a patio show.  It was on my way somewhere and I had a look.  I would have hat to bring 4 100ft 3/12 SOOW extension cords.  Almost half of what they were paying what I charge now.  I told them I needed 100 extra bucks for power and they told me I was insane they could buy extension cords for that.  That's when I punched out.  Line item invoicing is the way to go and power should pay for itself quick.  Even threefers have cost.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2021, 07:40:53 AM »

What are your thoughts on this box.  It comes with two 50 amp plugs, so I can make my own cord.  It has four 110 v and one 220 v 30 amp on front.  For my needs all looks good?  Remember that I will only be using this a couple of times per year with a very modest system for my band.  But yes, I want to be safe.

Brian Jojade

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2021, 09:49:02 AM »

What are your thoughts on this box.  It comes with two 50 amp plugs, so I can make my own cord.  It has four 110 v and one 220 v 30 amp on front.  For my needs all looks good?  Remember that I will only be using this a couple of times per year with a very modest system for my band.  But yes, I want to be safe.

Looks like your basic spider box to me. 
Brian Jojade

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2021, 01:27:00 PM »

That'll do Pig. That'll do.

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2021, 07:44:42 AM »

I'm on it!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2021, 07:44:42 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.