ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas M32 M32C M32R Dante Interface Modules  (Read 3122 times)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Midas M32 M32C M32R Dante Interface Modules
« on: September 01, 2021, 09:55:03 PM »

I am adding Audinate Dante interface modules to three Midas consoles - M32, M32C & M32R.

Originally looked at the Klark Teknik DN-32DANTE.  After discussing with sales engineer ordered the Behringer X-DANTE module.

Originally the thought was the Klark Teknik may be better, but sales engineer convinced me the Behringer would have identical performance.

Anyone here have any experiences with either brand?

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Midas M32 M32C M32R Dante Interface Modules
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 11:21:26 PM »

Are there any different feature sets between them?  From a performance standpoint, I don't see how they would really behave differently.  You're passing digital signal over ethernet.  Something would have to be seriously wrong if either changed the sound in that process.
Brian Jojade

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 12:27:01 AM »

I was thinking more in terms of reliability, stability, etc.  Form, fit, function is identical.  Basic performance "should" be the same.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 10:43:46 AM »

I was thinking more in terms of reliability, stability, etc.  Form, fit, function is identical.  Basic performance "should" be the same.

They are identical in every way that matters. Honestly, they came out with the KT version because they knew people would not want to put a Behringer branded card in their Midas device. But the Dante part is the Audinate Brooklyn card and the rest of the card is the TMG card interface. Identical for both products.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 11:38:21 AM »

They are identical in every way that matters. Honestly, they came out with the KT version because they knew people would not want to put a Behringer branded card in their Midas device. But the Dante part is the Audinate Brooklyn card and the rest of the card is the TMG card interface. Identical for both products.

BINGO:  "Honestly, they came out with the KT version because they knew people would not want to put a Behringer branded card in their Midas device".

That's what I was looking for.  In which case I opted "screw it" and save $300.  Hopefully, not a decision I regret sometime down the road.  If it's a problem, I'll scotch-brite the faces and spray 'em matte black.  :)

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 12:35:43 PM »

BINGO:  "Honestly, they came out with the KT version because they knew people would not want to put a Behringer branded card in their Midas device".

That's what I was looking for.  In which case I opted "screw it" and save $300.  Hopefully, not a decision I regret sometime down the road.  If it's a problem, I'll scotch-brite the faces and spray 'em matte black.  :)

At first I was guessing that maybe the KT one has a longer warranty like the Midas products do but nope, only a 3y warranty on KT stuff.  I'm guessing the only difference is paint.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 01:10:08 PM »

Thinking about it a bit more, I haven't looked at the specs - could be a little latency differences, but probably not significant enough to be a concern if they are different.

Just checked the specs, neither lists the latency, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 02:37:35 PM »

At first I was guessing that maybe the KT one has a longer warranty like the Midas products do but nope, only a 3y warranty on KT stuff.  I'm guessing the only difference is paint.

Looking at the PID the warranty is indeed 10yrs,
https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/sys_master/hf7/h18/8847678603294.pdf

I'm guessing the non Midas related KT products are the ones that only have a 3yr warranty.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 02:43:22 PM »

An extra 300 for different silk screening. Yep. Sounds about right.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 03:59:50 PM »

An extra 300 for different silk screening. Yep. Sounds about right.

To be fair with them, $100 per module and I need 3 for a total of $300.  So, $100 each for the silk screening.

The modules are slightly different on the face - the network active LED's layout is a bit different.  Meaning the design engineer for the PCB probably chose updated RJ45 connectors or just preferred the other style.

My guess is the chips on the board are identical.

Price difference is probably as much to do with production numbers as brand.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 04:51:41 PM by Steve-White »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 03:59:50 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.